Weird location for a boost leak

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
L
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Weird location for a boost leak

Post by L »

The only boost leak I have left is this area:

There is a a vacuum hose that runs from there to some vacuum tree that I assume was for all the emissions, the coolant neck from the block must have melted the rubber and now it's a bad leak. The reason it runs right by there is because there is a metal pipe that bend towards the coolant neck and that is the only way to run the line.

I'm just wondering if everyone's is like this. It seems like a stupid spot to run a vacuum line. I'm not even sure how I could fix it, another line will just melt through.

This is between runners 3 and 4, you can see the IACV and the coolant neck but I circled the line that is leaking.
L

Post by L »

Has anyone else had a problem with this line?
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

I have no remembrance of what hose that is . I have 3 vaccum hoses on my motor. one to the FPR and map sensor ,1 to the brake booster ,and 1 to teh supercharger bypass actuator and that is it..If you could say where it starts and where it ends up it might jog my memory LOL.
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
keytops
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by keytops »

Looks like one of the PCV lines. Most guys delete their PCV when turboing. Just replace the hose and add some length so you can go around. Also consider some fiberglass wrap or cut a slit down the side of the hose and fit it over this one to act as a small protector
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
Freise

Post by Freise »

Those are PCV lines. Your best bet might be to block off the ports on the manifold and vent the PCV or reroute pre-turbo
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
L

Post by L »

Do I not need this to run? I assume taking that out requires that I remove the manifold.
Is there no other way I can fix this?
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

I'm not feeling too creative on ideas for a fix, but if the hose is damaged the best bet would be to replace it and then take some measure to protect it from repeating history (like everyone had said). As for removing the manifold to fix it, I guess it depends on how creative you are :) ... but it would be A LOT easier to get to by removing the manifold... assuming that everything is attached to the manifold and nothing goes to the block or head or anything else that is attached to in in the engine bay.
Sry, it's been a while since my manifold has been off so my memory of this part is a lil fuzzy as well.
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

those things are not the most pleasurable thing to get to but typically the are hard as a brick and very difficult to remove . A stock intake is not the most fun to R&R either . I left mine intact because back during hte really cold temps I had considered using those ports to inject propane to aid in cold starting since E85 is so tough to get running in the really cold temps .

I feel for ya . Ive seen threads where guys have welded the things up or tapped and plugged then but I just replaced all of the little hoses and left it there and capped the end of the pipe that goes to the PCV valve and so far have not had any problems with it under 15 PSI of boost .I think whatever you decide to do whether you pull the manifold or wrestle with them in the car that you are in for a treat that you will have funny stories to tell about though.

G/L :P
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

If you are going to block that port off, be sure to run extra vents on the VC to a catch-can.
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Welded mine shut.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
L

Post by L »

Kamilitaryman wrote:If you are going to block that port off, be sure to run extra vents on the VC to a catch-can.
Why? That line is going to a vacuum block anyway.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Are you going to make all four ports go into one vacuum line/block?
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
L

Post by L »

Oh I was talking about the ones on the runners, I am talking about that metal pipe that you apparently welded shut. That 1/8th inch diameter vacuum line goes to a block.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

L wrote:
Kamilitaryman wrote:If you are going to block that port off, be sure to run extra vents on the VC to a catch-can.
Why? That line is going to a vacuum block anyway.
There is no vacuum there, I think you are mistaking which ports were are talking about here. I am speaking of the nipple that comes off the VC (valve cover), I'd weld at least one more if you plan on blocking the PCV on the side of the block.
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
L

Post by L »

Did you see the picture? It's a very small line that goes right next to the coolant neck. It's not anything that attaches to the manifold like the others do. I still think it was something for emissions. I'll get a better picture.
L

Post by L »

Here's another picture. Here you can actually see the ziptie around the line.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Check this out. http://forums.nicoclub.com/intake-manif ... 11262.html

Which one?

Or this?

KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
L

Post by L »

Interesting, it should be one of those four that are located right next to that IACV, one of those 4 small ones. But none of them stick out at a 90 to go where mine has gone.
L

Post by L »

Those pictures won't work, the manifolds for the S13 and 14 are not the same. I have an S14.

Here's the line.

A better view. I assume this is the path it takes.
keytops
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by keytops »

Your circling in the second pic is poor. That thick hose goes to a thermostatic air regulator that opens and closes based on temprature. That valve itself could have a leak, the gaskets inside do fail. There is nothing that will rub against this either

That small hose is an emmissions line, I dont recall where it connects to but its inline with the evap system by best guess is that it goes to the volume control solenoid. If your boosted you should have this plugged upstream from the hardline anyway.

How do you know you have a boost leak? Did you try the soapy water trick to see exactly where its leaking from?
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
L

Post by L »

I see that that black hose isn't connected now. Because when I do a boost leak test, I touch the line next to the coolant neck and it hisses louder. I tried touching everywhere around it but nothing else makes a noise.

So where does it go then? It just seems to disappear.