What does cruise control need?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
mattheripper
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

What does cruise control need?

Post by mattheripper »

Do any of you know the s13 well enough to tell me what all is needed to hook up cruise control in a car that never had it. I wanna put cruise in my Skyline and I don't know if everything I need is in the s13 parts car of mine. Just at a glance today I saw the cable vacuum unit and the switch system on the steering wheel. Is there any special circuits or control units?
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I would google "how cruise control works" and then google "240sx cruise control" and make relations...

Basically you'll need the cruise control unit, cable, a proper place to mount it, all of the buttons/interface, splicing into brake switch, speed sensor, etc....

Also, why is this in introductions? Moving to Tech. Basic.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
mattheripper

Post by mattheripper »

Lol sorry I meant to put it in chat. Yeah I'm going to tear into the parts car better but thanks further tips. I know better what to look out for now.
biggie
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by biggie »

No skyline ever have it? If it did probably easier to get those parts.

If not, hardest thing is probably the throttle plate to get the 2nd wire on it.
'93 Coupe GT32e/'93 Vert/'03 G35C

Always Broke!!!
mattheripper

Post by mattheripper »

Well I actually now that you ask have never seen it on a skyline. But I put a ka into my skyline anyway. So I'm thinking it might be just as well to use s13 parts from my parts car then going and spending a few dimes at the import auto wreckers here.
I just think it'd be sick to have cruise control on a car that looks as "shakotan" as mine:)
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

biggie wrote:If not, hardest thing is probably the throttle plate to get the 2nd wire on it.
If he's using the stock KA manifold he should already have the little bracket for mounting both cables.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
mattheripper

Post by mattheripper »

airman wrote:
biggie wrote:If not, hardest thing is probably the throttle plate to get the 2nd wire on it.
If he's using the stock KA manifold he should already have the little bracket for mounting both cables.
I think he was talking about the type of throttle body itself. Because I have two and one has an extra cable fitting on the tb swing arm. Rather than the little bracket you mentioned. Cause yeah on all three of my ka's the stock mani's have the two cable bracket. But good point since I put a different plenum on.
biggie

Post by biggie »

Well I was thinking he had an RB so the KA threw me for the loop.

Always Broke!!!
Freise

Post by Freise »

yeah that's got me curious, OP got a build thread at all for this thing?
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
mattheripper

Post by mattheripper »

No problem biggie. Confusion totally makes sense, sr swaps hardly happen to these things let alone a ka lol
Freise wrote:yeah that's got me curious, OP got a build thread at all for this thing?
Heck yes I do. No ones interested in it though haha. I do need to do some updates though.
viewtopic.php?p=478893#478893
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

The KA cruise control is a pretty simple system . It needs a speed signal , a brake lamp switch signal , a clutch switch signal, power ,ground, and a cable to the throttle . The speed signal typically comes from teh buffer on the instrument cluster which recieves a raw signal from the VSS and converts it to what the cruise and ECU needs . Im not sure if it needs an RPM signal but without looking I wanna say no.
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
mattheripper

Post by mattheripper »

nismoautoxr wrote:The KA cruise control is a pretty simple system . It needs a speed signal , a brake lamp switch signal , a clutch switch signal, power ,ground, and a cable to the throttle . The speed signal typically comes from teh buffer on the instrument cluster which recieves a raw signal from the VSS and converts it to what the cruise and ECU needs . Im not sure if it needs an RPM signal but without looking I wanna say no.
Simple actually might be pretty hard. Reason being I swapped out the speed sensor in the ka tranny for a rb cable driven speedo unit. I'm not sure what a VSS is, is it the part I switched. If so do you have any ideas of how I could get around it? I thought it just ran on vacuum, like it reads of the manifold when it starts and just mimics it till its turned off again. But that'd be way to simple to be realistic. Hmmm.
biggie

Post by biggie »

VSS is Vehicle Speed Sensor, yes the part you swapped. Should be a way to jump/override that part I would think.

Always Broke!!!
mattheripper

Post by mattheripper »

Hmmm. Do you know if any s13 transmissions had cable driven speedos? That or what would you think could work as far as jumpering/bypassing?

Might have to see if some of the used jdm places have a Nissan that works without the vss.
biggie

Post by biggie »

No S-chassis that I can think of is cable driven. Though I haven't looked into that much.

Always Broke!!!
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

some of the old maximas had a speed sensor built into the speedo cable . That might be an oprion other wise you may check into dakota digital and see what they have in that area such as a speed sensor that also has a cable drive .
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
mattheripper

Post by mattheripper »

Sweet, that would be perfect if that works. Thanks. I'll have to check those guys out as well.