Q45 Throttle Body Leaks

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Legit6MT
240sx Wannabe

Q45 Throttle Body Leaks

Post by Legit6MT »

Both ends of my Q45 throttle body leak. The TPS side leaks horribly, and so does the spring side. It starts to leak around 3-4psi on my pressure test. I hear its a common issue, and I'm sure a small amount will be virtually unnoticeable. So my question is guys that are running the Q45 tb, what did you guys do to get around this?
Legit6MT
240sx Wannabe

Post by Legit6MT »

nobody here ran into this issue?
Niclas_AB
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Niclas_AB »

I have the same problem, Haven't tried to solve it yet thou :(
Legit6MT
240sx Wannabe

Post by Legit6MT »

Niclas_AB wrote:I have the same problem, Haven't tried to solve it yet thou :(
The guys on supra forums are all having the same issue. I have two spare q45 tb and so I looked at them and I'm not even sure how to remove the old seal and replace with new. Mine looks perfectly intact as well so I don't really understand how it leaks.
Niclas_AB
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Niclas_AB »

I'm not sure what kind of seal it is since I haven't taken it apart yet. But does it look like a small version of the rear crank seal? If it does look like that it only seals good in one direction and since it from a NA engine I believe they would be mounted in the way that they seal good when there is vacuum in the manifold since there never is going to be positive pressure there. So maybe it's just to flip them around and they will seal good on boost instead :) Could you take some pictures?
Legit6MT
240sx Wannabe

Post by Legit6MT »

Niclas_AB wrote:I'm not sure what kind of seal it is since I haven't taken it apart yet. But does it look like a small version of the rear crank seal? If it does look like that it only seals good in one direction and since it from a NA engine I believe they would be mounted in the way that they seal good when there is vacuum in the manifold since there never is going to be positive pressure there. So maybe it's just to flip them around and they will seal good on boost instead :) Could you take some pictures?
You bring up a really interesting point, because thats exactly what one guy did. Im having a hard time disassembling the sucker, idk how to pull the shaft out (no homo). I can take pictures and show you i have like 3 of them lol.
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Q45 Throttle Body Leaks

Post by adamky »

I found this while searching for a solution and thought it was worth updating the thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... t-leak-fix
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread