will this leak?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
kablammyman
Dreams of owning a 240!

will this leak?

Post by kablammyman »

i cant believe i didn't notice it before....but, im wondering if this will cause some kind of coolant leak. I would rather not have to take everything apart again to fix this (because cleaning the old stuff was a bi*ch!!), but if i have to, i guess i have no choice.

let me know what you guys think.

1987 integra rs-t
1996 240sx
187MotorSports
240sx Wannabe

Post by 187MotorSports »

shouldnt leak, what kinddid you use? all so let it cure before firing up
kablammyman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by kablammyman »

its RTV ultra black. I was worried if i put enough there near the square hole for what seems to be a coolant passage. If its good to go, then great!
1987 integra rs-t
1996 240sx
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

it 'should' seal it. The only way to tell is to keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels/colour.

You do have the o-ring for the oil side right? (the opposite to the coolant)
kablammyman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by kablammyman »

Walperstyle wrote:
You do have the o-ring for the oil side right? (the opposite to the coolant)
FAWK!!!! :evil: I have it, but totally forgot to install it!!! Good looking out, that coulda caused problems that i didn't even realize!!

Well, looks like i gotta take it off anyway. :( I only have ultra grey left, no more black. Will grey be strong for this job?
1987 integra rs-t
1996 240sx
sx moneypit
240sx Wannabe

Post by sx moneypit »

Ultra Grey will be fine.Try to put a little better bead on the cover and give it plenty of time to set up.
Life is a journey,enjoy the ride.

-Ben
kablammyman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by kablammyman »

how many of those oil seals for the front cover do i need, 1 or 2? Does one go into the block, and the other into the cover? I only have one, so if i need another, wheres the best place to get one quickly?

nevermind, There seems to be some variations between different year KAs, so some gasket kits have more than one of those hat o-rings. The FSM for my 96 only shows one...so that's what I'm going with.
1987 integra rs-t
1996 240sx
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

the one thing I can see from your pic that could cause a coolant leak is that on the square hole (coolant port) you need to stay to the perimeter of the hole and do a loop around that bolt hole . If you do it the way the pic shows then you could concievably have leakage around the head of the bolt to the outside . Rare but it could happen. This method in your pic can also lead to a very badly corroded bolt due to it being exposed to the coolant /water mixture and over time can be very hard to remove or even snap off when trying to remove.
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

nismoautoxr wrote:the one thing I can see from your pic that could cause a coolant leak is that on the square hole (coolant port) you need to stay to the perimeter of the hole and do a loop around that bolt hole . If you do it the way the pic shows then you could concievably have leakage around the head of the bolt to the outside . Rare but it could happen. This method in your pic can also lead to a very badly corroded bolt due to it being exposed to the coolant /water mixture and over time can be very hard to remove or even snap off when trying to remove.
ditto on this. there is nothing sealing between the upper bolt hole in the pick, and the main coolant galley into the block from the pump...that should be the highest psi water source.

kinda important to seal it up tight.
kablammyman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by kablammyman »

i had it re-done. The rtv bead is much thicker and continuous now. I had to put in that lil o-ring, so i figured it was worth redoing it all. It looks much better now, and im not worried about a leak anymore. thanks for all the help. 8)
1987 integra rs-t
1996 240sx