Stock KA rod strength?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
StryfeS13
Dreams of owning a 240!

Stock KA rod strength?

Post by StryfeS13 »

Plan on building a KA again. Last time i used full forged internals - eagle rods and supertech pistons. This time I just wanna do the pistons. Is it really necessary to use forged rods if i dont plan on making over 400whp?

I just wanna do arp hardware and forged pistons this time around.
KA24DE - Supertech 8.6:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, .020 over, ACL bearings, Ported/Polished Head, Emissions Deleted, ARP Hardware, etc etc. Turbo soon!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

You can run stock block up to 400whp so yes, you can run stock rods with arp bolts.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
z240xs
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by z240xs »

see thats what i love about the KA right now

everyone in my hometown junks on me for running a built KA thinking oh your so dumb you shouldve done an SR swap, psh kidding me no SR handles 400whp on stock block components, shut down
boosting it! solving it!
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

understand that the 400 comes with a HUGE asterisk after it.

If you skimp on the supporting mods...the rods will fail.
If you have detonation....most likely your ringlands will crack.

If everything else is right; fuel/ignition/boost management - then a stock bottom end will make 400hp.

Case in point. I had a close friend with a stock bottom end (he only had pistons from Ross)

The motor was professionally assembled. He was running AEM EMS, and had meth injection. He was able to put down 420HP, which is damn close to 600 at the crank.

It ran awesome for about a month....until it leaned out ONCE. He threw the #4 rod out the right hand side of the block, and took the starter with it. He had taken the intercooler off to fiddle with the meth pump which he mounted under the bumper support. He block the intercooler piping with a shop rag, and forgot about it when he reassembled. That one shop rag took out the entire motor.

I'm just trying to make the point that you need everything to be perfect to get the stock bottom end ot hold that much power...reliably. Rods an pistons are under $850, it seems like a no brainier to me.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

z240xs wrote:see thats what i love about the KA right now

everyone in my hometown junks on me for running a built KA thinking oh your so dumb you shouldve done an SR swap, psh kidding me no SR handles 400whp on stock block components, shut down
Be careful what you say.
http://youtu.be/qlYZYOqsYD8
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
z240xs

Post by z240xs »

ok ok maybe i should, but legit fight though is an SR is a 2.0 while the KA is a 2.4 there is the upper advantage there as far as power build goes
boosting it! solving it!
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

The SR has a shorter stroke and will rev higher safely.

Theres plenty of SR vs KA threads... theyre close enough that it comes down to the parts/tune
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
ka-t240sx
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by ka-t240sx »

i ran stock rods with arp bolts on one of my few ka-t's that ive had.
twisted the rod at 346rwhp.
car never made it off of the dyno. :(
i was spinning it to 7500 rpm though
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

A good tuner can get you good power on stock internals. Tune is Everything. You can have the best rods in the world and destroy them if you half ass a tune.
erich
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by erich »

ka-t240sx wrote:i ran stock rods with arp bolts on one of my few ka-t's that ive had.
twisted the rod at 346rwhp.
car never made it off of the dyno. :(
i was spinning it to 7500 rpm though
NEVER up the redline on stock rods. The stress on the rods is to the square of RPM, you're just looking for trouble.
ka-t240sx
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by ka-t240sx »

erich wrote: NEVER up the redline on stock rods. The stress on the rods is to the square of RPM, you're just looking for trouble.
She still was making power up to stock redline and i was curious and bumped it up. It was just a spare block i had lying around while i was waiting for my other block to get back from the machine shop.