POWER...but no power...KA-T.org i need your help!!!

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Jin
Dreams of owning a 240!

POWER...but no power...KA-T.org i need your help!!!

Post by Jin »

OK so am going to try my best to explain thee whole situation.

So 2 days ago i come go outside with the mindset on leaving some where, i go to the car and noticed that my clock is dead....(ponders). Reach for the car's light switch...it was on. I turn it off know that i just murdered my battery. So i call pop-a-lock, guy arrives, with car left on the on position i adjusted the jumper cables so i can hear the fuel pump engage to establish a good connection.

So car starts! ( happy ), but oddly the dome light isn't on, the tach doesn't work radio, clock or power windows, ( confused ), so at first i i though it was my alternator because i check my voltage when i removed the jumper cables, and the power was dropping...fast! And what else lead me to thinking it was my alternator, a couple days ago my alternator would smoke, but i asked a reputable mechanic (my cousin) and he said that my alternator was on its last leg because the bearing was going out. So, this is what solidified my opinion on the alternator.

So today i bought the alternator, installed it and ( drum roll ) nothing....,So i proceeded to jump start it. Both cables attached, other car running, Car starts! But no tack, radio, windows and dome lights...( pissed )

After further head banging i thought, Hey i left the car lights on therefor the battery could be the reason why am getting the accessory to come on. Off to autozone to get batt tested, found out that the batt is very dead, like 500 volts below , so they said it couldn't be saved. Anywho BRAND NEW BATTERY! Installed and what do have! a running car! COMPLETE WITH! no dome lights, tach, clock or radio,,,,,,

KA-T masters i DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock:
Gotta make it better
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

There is a fuse that is usually a 10amp fuse labeled combination meter or gauges. It is most likely blown. Find it and replace it.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
mmmS13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mmmS13 »

+1 on a blown fuse. Its happened to me before, get a test light and just go down the kick panel of fuses and you'll find the blown one.
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
Jin
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jin »

Ok, :UPDATE: UPDATE :

So yea you guys guys where right! ( duh ) but, not exactly the kick panel location. It just so happen that to be located at the fuses located in the engine bay (serious question is that the kick panel location or the one on the left front side of the driver's seat..really i don't know...). So it was that blue fuse named 100A that is routed to that red weird clip that leads to the positive terminal...

Ok, so now that it RAN!...me and the family decided to take a trip to VA beach where they had a nice Christmas lighting on the board walk, well needless to say issues of a dieing alternator began to show it's presents, yea blinking on and off radio, dull interior lighting, OMG am about to die engine give me gas so i may lliivvee!!.....so the car breaks down mid-way threw the event (embarrassing, and so many cars was just like....look he looks like he need help....lets drive past him...humanity....pfff...) so guys i just was to know or hear from other professionals ( you all ) what do you think...did i buy a bad altenator or what...oh i don't know if this matters but the brand of alternator was Ultima....some o'rielys brand or whatever.....

Thanks guys!
Gotta make it better
mmmS13

Post by mmmS13 »

Kick panel is indeed the one on the left front side of the drivers seat. (Where you reach to pop your hood)
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

There are two connectors on the positive terminal. One goes to alternator. It could be dirty, loose or needs some attention. Try that first.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Kruked

Post by Kruked »

Or your ground is loose on the alternator. That's happened to me once. Had a customer come in not too long ago. Said her car wouldn't keep a charge. Once a week, she would need a jump. After getting ready to change her alternator, noticed that the plug on her alternator was unplugged. Plugged it back in, called her to come get her car, told her about the ordeal. Haven't heard from her since and that was roughly a month ago.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windshield, it said 'Parking Fine.'
Jin
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jin »

Supakat.....you...where.......RIGHT!!!... Holy hell, i made a stupid STUPID rookie mistake.., The car been running for normal for last week, as this is a late post (sawee). Any-who, when i removed the 100A fuse which required removing the 2 screws that hold it in place, So order for me to even get under i had to remove a bolt which was holding a wire ( it begins ) which unknowing to me lead to the GOTDAMN ALTERNATOR!!!

So! i get the fuse, replace and and tighten the bolts and just moved the fook on....so with the wire reattached the alternator gets power and thus performing it's job....so with that said i tip my asshat to you and i bid you guys adui (<-- i don't even know if that's spelled right ). Sidenote...Supakat spell check said your name should be Superstate... irrelevant i know...
Gotta make it better
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Hey you live and you learn. I am glad it was something minor. Now get some vids of her moving.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Jin
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jin »

Well do! but, fortunately ill be leaving to basic training on the 7th of jan so my estimated time of doing any REAL work is gonna be late august. But at least i got the MOS i wanted; helicopter mechanic! So the 240 will be in the hanger.....ALOT.

So hopefully the KA masters would still be around then because your gonna hear a lot more from me! :D
Again thanks guys!!
Gotta make it better
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Have fun. We will be here.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
pballa88
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by pballa88 »

Take a picture with your 240 next to a helicopter, that'd be pretty sweet. Goodluck man.
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

Its little stuff like this that make you become a champion of a particular chassis. Some day way in the future, kids with Nissan 560Z quad turbo Fairlady coupes are going to look at us as the 'good ol boys'. Keep on keepin on.