97-98 ka head question

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
hersheskuirt
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

97-98 ka head question

Post by hersheskuirt »

I just recently have gotten my car running and just trying to fix all of the little things before I put the car on the road. Well after letting the car run for about 10 to 15 min it starts to spit oil out of the breather on the valve cover. After doing some research I found that the problem was, the cams where missing the rear caps, which was allowing oil to flow through the baffles on the valve cover, out of the breather.

My question is what are you guys doing about this? Ones with a 97 to 98 ka. Are you making a baffle blocking oil from entering the valve cover, or are you plugging the holes on the cams?

If you are plugging the holes, what are you using? I have some ideas, I just want to see what other people are doing.
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: 97-98 ka head question

Post by TryingToTurbo »

hersheskuirt wrote:I just recently have gotten my car running and just trying to fix all of the little things before I put the car on the road. Well after letting the car run for about 10 to 15 min it starts to spit oil out of the breather on the valve cover. After doing some research I found that the problem was, the cams where missing the rear caps, which was allowing oil to flow through the baffles on the valve cover, out of the breather.

My question is what are you guys doing about this? Ones with a 97 to 98 ka. Are you making a baffle blocking oil from entering the valve cover, or are you plugging the holes on the cams?

If you are plugging the holes, what are you using? I have some ideas, I just want to see what other people are doing.
You can block the holes and then drill new ones in the vc baffling further up. Or you can build vent hoods over them which is what I did. Or you can plug the holes by knocking the plug in the end of the cam in further until its past the oiling holes in the last journal.

Personally my method still had some blowby so I bought a 95 head.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Spot weld over the oil hole & grind flush or move the plug like was suggested.

You don't want to just leave it open you will have low oil pressure in the cams.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
hersheskuirt
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by hersheskuirt »

Since I don't have access to a welder anymore, I guess I will have to move the plugs in.

Thanks for the help.