Should I lower the boost

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Crash33
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Should I lower the boost

Post by Crash33 »

Alright I have my new semi-built motor in the car and I just need to bolt on the intake and turbo/exhaust. Thing is I debating whether I should get a lower boost spring for my wastegate. It has a 14lb spring in now and I have nistune but im not sure I want to start right out with 1 bar. What are your guys thoughts? Just a little worried don't want to do anything brash.

thanks
1993 240sx fastback FINALLY TURBOED!!!!
T3\60-1
JGS LOG MANI
740CC INJ.
NISTUNE
BoBaCk1
240sx Wannabe

Post by BoBaCk1 »

Unless your sure your tune is spot on and everything is perfect I would lower the boost. I had a 14lb spring in mine before I rebuilt my motor but dropped it down to 10psi just for safety . I believe if something was to go wrong it wouldn't be as bad if the boost was low. But that's just my opinion I'm no where near an expert so take this with a grain of salt.
Built ka-t
Arias 8:8:1 .20 over
K1 rods
Arp head,main,rod studs
Kelford 272's,dual valve springs
Precision 6262sp .82a/r, peakboost manifold
Cxracing fmic
Fuel injector development 2000cc
Proefi pro128, e85 flex fuel
Rb25 flywheel, dxd 350z clutch
redpotatoes

Post by redpotatoes »

Has the car been tuned? If not, I would wait before running the car. Keep the spring you have, you will probably go to that level of boost eventually.
KA24DET GT2871R .86 Setup:
viewtopic.php?t=44222
Crash33

Post by Crash33 »

Yeah im using a tune from 8-bit that is fairly conservative. It's for 12psi and my maf and inj. combo. I just need to pull back some more timing to be safe. I'll probably just stick with it. The other reason I asked is because I have a jgs mani and its a bi*ch to take off the wastegate while on the car.
1993 240sx fastback FINALLY TURBOED!!!!
T3\60-1
JGS LOG MANI
740CC INJ.
NISTUNE
Kruked
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Kruked »

Leave everything the way it is and don't drive w/ a heavy foot. It's not difficult to drive around town and stay out of boost. If you're doing a "break-in period", don't be foolish. Break it in, treat it w/ respect and in the long run, it will love you when your foot is heavy.

If any of that made sense. I'm stoned.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windshield, it said 'Parking Fine.'
ashy-larry
240sx Wannabe

Post by ashy-larry »

The main ? is why don't you want to start out w/a bar? Your setup supports it and obviously your goal is to make power. It seems as if it's b/c you don't want to chance things b/c of your tune(Which is understandable) but 14.7psi vs. 12 you're tuned for you should be able to make safe w/your nistune to drive around and either street tune it to as good as possible or take to dyno tuning and tune it or have it tuned. I guess the same thing as kruked said but your motives are what you need to consider to figure out the ?