Head gasket options?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Qemyst
Dreams of owning a 240!

Head gasket options?

Post by Qemyst »

So, I'm about to boost my KA on stock internals but i'm trying to decide on a head gasket. I've read that Cometics aren't all that great due to not sealing properly in many cases, and that Cosworths are typically better for boosted applications.

However Cosworth, as far as I can tell, do not make an 89mm head gasket. Are there any other good options, or is sticking with a Cometic good enough? I'm only shooting for about 250 at the wheels for the time being.

Cheers
iceman1357
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by iceman1357 »

stock internals? so less then 15 psi is your goal I'm guessing? just get a felpro OE replacement composite get the head flattened and new head bolts.
FSM> http://www.240edge.com/manuals/usdm-cars.html <FSM

"INVOLUNTARY HELLAFLUSH"
-Walperstyle

I want it cheap and fast. I can fix anything.
Qemyst
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Qemyst »

Head flattened? As in decked? Part of the reason i'm going with stock internals for the meantime is because I can't currently afford to have the engine taken out and have things like that done. Down the road definitely, but for now it's not an option... unless you can deck the head while the engine is still in the car.

Thanks though, I will probably end up getting one of the oe fel-pro's.
arob987

Post by arob987 »

Felpro is fine for your goals its a proven gasket time after time just don't use a eBay gasket.head or block doesn't need to be decked unless you have a reason like overheated/torqued incorrectly and maybe warped the head the block typically only needs to be done if your prepping for a metal gasket.
New turbo setup build in progress-11mm headstuds/cometic head gasket/jwt cam gears added,prec. 6266,gato mani,prec.46mm wg,bigger fmic,mspnp2,z32 trans,spec twin,q45 rear,full energy bushings. Still need injectors,and a few other small things

Old setup-ka24de-wiseco 9:1 pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,jwt s1 cams,brian crower springs and retainers,jgs log mani,t3 57trim .63 a/r,tomei 740cc,38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate,synapse bov,ebay fmic,nistune,j30 lsd.5 speed swap,z32 brakes F&R.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

What Arab money said.

Also just fyi, the motor dowsnt need to be pulled to mill the head. Removing the head is a 3 hour job with motor in car. Milling raises compression ans might require you to run a higher octane gasoline.

Use felpro :)
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
jholman05
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by jholman05 »

Sounds like you should just save yourself a bunch of time and money and just keep the stock head gasket and run a little less boost? Then when you can afford to do the milling look into a head gasket.
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

I use felpro for many reasons, but the main reason is that if I have an issue it will pop before the motor does...hopefully. If you have tune issue or fuel problem it doesn't matter what headgasket you have. Detonation will do damage whether it's a 10k motor or a stocker.
Qemyst
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Qemyst »

Are there any Felpro head gaskets that are better than others? I know they have their Perma Torque line, among others.
arob987

Post by arob987 »

Just go to auto zone,O'Reilly,rock auto ect. And ask for one. For the ka there all perma torque. as far as I know is the standard that part stores carry.
New turbo setup build in progress-11mm headstuds/cometic head gasket/jwt cam gears added,prec. 6266,gato mani,prec.46mm wg,bigger fmic,mspnp2,z32 trans,spec twin,q45 rear,full energy bushings. Still need injectors,and a few other small things

Old setup-ka24de-wiseco 9:1 pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,jwt s1 cams,brian crower springs and retainers,jgs log mani,t3 57trim .63 a/r,tomei 740cc,38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate,synapse bov,ebay fmic,nistune,j30 lsd.5 speed swap,z32 brakes F&R.
boker240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by boker240 »

felpro.
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
AndrewHuffman
240sx Wannabe

Post by AndrewHuffman »

felpro ftw
yvang07
Learners Permit

Re: Head gasket options?

Post by yvang07 »

Felpro also (permatorque MLS), went to the local oreilly and gave them a part number (which I found on KA-T.org) and they got it for me.
En Garde!