KA24DE Rebuild Kit?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
mantas
NooB

KA24DE Rebuild Kit?

Post by mantas »

I've been looking for a rebuild kit for my KA24DE. I can't seem to find any. Would it be a better idea to buy all OEM parts? I do not plan on boosting the engine etc, its in a Datsun 620 and the 140-150hp is plenty for me. I'm a bit new to KA-T.org so bear with me if I have not provided some of the crucial info.

Reason i want to rebuild - if it matters or if someone could help me before i tear into it. I've had a weird knock coming from the engine, can't figure out what it is but it's not the upper timing guide for sure, and not rod knock because i've redlined it / bounced off the limiter for months now and it's still going strong. I'm guessing its in the block or in the head but either way soon enough it will give up (or i'm suspecting it should), so i'm looking for a replacement engine or some kind of a kit to rebuild this engine assuming all clearances check out. Any help will be appreciated.
AFKOUKI
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: KA24DE Rebuild Kit?

Post by AFKOUKI »

Pretty sure there isint an oem rebuild kit out there. FRsport/rockauto was my good friend during my rebuild. Just buy an oem oil pump, water pump, osk timing kit, some new rings and bearings and such. Your rebuild can be as extensive as you want to go on it.
mantas
NooB

Post by mantas »

Thanks for the reply. Did you just do an "OEM" rebuild in other words kept it stock, no boring honing etc?
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

What kind of knock? Have you checked out youtube to try and find a similar sound?
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

I took my block to a machine shop. I went .020 over. Machinest suggested it to make sure the cylinders were 1000% true. I built mine with arias 8.8:1 pistons, eagle rods, osk timing kit, oem nissan oil pump, bought a fel-pro gasket set, arp studs. But to each his own. If you're gonna tear into a block, why not build it? You wont regret building it, but you may regret not building it. It all depends on your personal goals and uses for the car.
bicer9
Learners Permit

Post by bicer9 »

yea rock auto has OEM replacement pistons for cheap at least (if youre not looking to go forged internals or anything). As for rods maybe check around on F/S threads and see if you can find someone selling them that backed out of a build or something. but i second what AFKOUKI said, if youre going to be taking it apart and spending money on OEM replacement parts, almost might as well just chip in the extra bit to build it
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

You can effectively bullet-proof your bottom end with a set of used/new forged rods and pistons for $500-700. Totally worth it! Do it right the first time. If you're on a strict budget, the place you don't want to save money is on your tune.

Also, see quote in sig.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see that you weren't planning on boosting. I don't know how I missed that!
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
chillmieste
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by chillmieste »

when rebuilding the bottom end do you guys also by the idler gears/ oem cam gears too? is it necessary?
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

I used the same ones that were already on the motor, just checked for excessive wear first
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Supposedly the timing chain wears into the timing gears, just like a motorcycle chain and sprocket. Ive heard this from the old guys.

With that said ive never had an issue mixing and matching parts, but i got new gears with my OSK timing kit, great stuff.

I didnt bother with the center idler gear though.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
mantas
NooB

Post by mantas »

Thank you all for the replies. Like i've said - this KA is going into a Datsun 620 and its just a "A to B" type of a truck, nothing else. I might even end up selling it withing the next few years who knows....so throwing good money at it is not really worth it. I am picking up another KA this weekend, only problem with it - water pump got ripped off the timing cover. Guy said he shut the bi*ch down right away. Going to mend that one, and use it for now. If all plays out well i might build one of the two blocks and do a mild turbo set up for another project like a 510 or an S13.
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

I am still curious to what knock you are referring to. KA's can be noisy with age.
mantas
NooB

Post by mantas »

Marcus wrote:I am still curious to what knock you are referring to. KA's can be noisy with age.
My friend seems to think its a valve guide that has gone bad. In my understanding it would cause problems very soon after that happens, i have not checked the compression but i'm thinking of doing so today. The engine does smoke, so may be a piston slap? It happens randomly and does not sound like rod knock at all based on some of the youtube videos that i've watched. Sounds like marbles in a can being shaken or a paint can rattle. Upper timing chain guide was one of the first things i removed and the noise is still there. I would love to upload a video but you can't hear the noise over the engine every time i record a video...
KA-T S12
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by KA-T S12 »

schmauster920 wrote:
With that said ive never had an issue mixing and matching parts, but i got new gears with my OSK timing kit, great stuff.
Didn't see the gears that came with that kit.