Exhaust Suggestions

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
LPime001
Dreams of owning a 240!

Exhaust Suggestions

Post by LPime001 »

I am currently running the exhaust setup below on my 50 trim setup:
2.5" JGS Downpipe > 3" SR20 Downpipe (midpipe) > 3" Resonated test pipe > 3" CXRacing Catback with built in resonator.

The tone of the exhaust is awesome. Its a bit loud, but its got a deep sound with no raspiness at all. My main issue is that it seems to get even louder and resonate pretty badly between 3000 and 4000 rpm. I daily drive my car so I spend a lot of time in this range. I'm within this range for a while on my commute to/from work every day. I would love to quiet my exhaust without hacking up the SR20 downpipe or the cat back, so Im looking into replacing the resonated test pipe which is only about 12" long.

I have two options right now.
1. Replace the test pipe with a 3" High flow cat.
Ive read that the restriction would quiet the exhaust a bit, but would also cause some power loss and increase spool time.

2. Replace the test pipe with a Flowsound 1 chamber race muffler.
There aren't too many mufflers with a 12" overall length, and this is one of the few I could find. It does not contain any sound absorption material, so im afraid it may not help reduce the sound much.
Does anyone have any experience with this muffler?
Would the baffles reflect enough sound to lower the overall sound by a decent amount?

I am honestly leaning towards the high flow cat, but would like to hear some opinions.
I would prefer too quiet over too loud. LOL
Turbonetics 50 Trim T3/T4 .63ar
JGS Log Mani & Downpipe
Turbonetics Wastegate
Greddy Type RS Blow Off
PLX Wideband
Prosport Boost and Oil Gauge
CalumRT
WRX STI Injectors
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Exhaust Suggestions

Post by neverlift »

your turbo will not like a baffled/chambered muffler.

Put a glass pack in place of the test pipe. IIRC when you place a resonator close to the engine it has more noise reduction.

Go faster or slower :P
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Re: Exhaust Suggestions

Post by Ikera »

I had the same problem
my exhaust

2.5" elbow > 2.5" downpipe > 2.5" resonated test pipe > 3" cat-back > 3" Dual Muffler

after I installed silencers into the muffler the deep tones went away, well and the whole exhaust sounds a lot less deep than before

here is a video, but it sounds different in person, since camera can't record deep tones
http://youtu.be/1u8HWScquXw
ImageImageImage