Power estimate before turbo

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
elocmada
NooB

Power estimate before turbo

Post by elocmada »

I've been collecting parts for a while and I was wondering how much power I could make before i throw the turbo on. So far I have:

BC v2 camshafts
BC valve springs and retainers
BC rods
JE 11:1 pistons (they were my friends, I was looking at buying the 9:0 when I get the turbo)
ARP bits and pieces
Cometic gaskets
z32 MAF (working on getting that)
stock intake, and exhaust (intake being replaced during the turbo process, along with the exhaust)

With that little bit of stuff going into the motor before tossing the turbo on down the road, how much power would I be looking at just driving around? More for curiosity's sake. Would I make considerably more power using the 11:1's for now?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to try anything. I daily a miata, so the 240 is just for fun, and to learn by ***** around.
copdodger
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: Power estimate before turbo

Post by copdodger »

Seems like it for lack of better words, just a stock motor. I'm not sure how the pistons would affect your power, might see a increase due to higher compression, the cams may cause you to lose power as they are for best utilized on a turbo motor. Also do some research on bc cams, i have a set that I have yet to install due to how finicky they can be. Idk, i wouldn't expect a haul ass motor tho, that's what you are slapping a turbo on for
elocmada
NooB

Post by elocmada »

Yeah, it's pretty much stock just.. with a tiny bit better parts. Most of the parts are laying around from a friends old build, so I'm more or less just working with what I have without trying to spend too much money. I just see so much possible potential for the ka as an na motor. And I was hoping the higher revs and higher compression might help let me enjoy some power because i throw a snail on.
elocmada
NooB

Post by elocmada »

I just want from vroom vroom without having to worry about getting a tune
RosadoRacing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by RosadoRacing »

if you degree the cams and run open header you might pull off 200whp but the arp, rods etc do little to no affect on a all motor car. turbo it and don't think twice
elocmada
NooB

Post by elocmada »

what would be a half decent intake manifold? i'm sure I won't have to change that at all from na to turbo. because the turbo won't be happening for a while, because i'm getting all of the stuff over the next year
elocmada
NooB

Post by elocmada »

i'm just not confident enough to correctly do the entire turbo thing. i want to do it all myself, just to learn. but it seems a bit complicated, and i don't want to blow a turbo.
RosadoRacing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by RosadoRacing »

I use xcessive's intake. gave me more down low power and torque than my previous short runner intake and power didn't drop off, pulled hard to 7500. it's really hard to blow a turbo you'll blow your motor before you blow your turbo. I'm sure many people on here including myself well help you. but Google is a great place to start. turbo manifold, a turbo that fits your goals whether you want a quick spooling street car or a fast drag car that'll have lag below 5k. tell us what you looking for and we'll help. the hardest part is the tune which you should be going to a pro anyways and setting up all the vacuum lines.
mmmS13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mmmS13 »

elocmada wrote:i'm just not confident enough to correctly do the entire turbo thing. i want to do it all myself, just to learn. but it seems a bit complicated, and i don't want to blow a turbo.
Just take your time with everything and double check your work. My best friend and I did my turbo build in his garage in a month with a jack, 2 jack stands and basic tools only working a few hours each night. (Only thing that took so long was waiting for parts to come in)
As you get near completing your project/build you'll realize most of it is just simply taking parts off and putting them back on (but turbo parts on instead).

Plus you can always ask a million questions if you get stuck, someone will always be here to help. :beer:
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0