ka-t wont run

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
vilado17
NooB

ka-t wont run

Post by vilado17 »

alright im new here, i just bought a 93 240 convertible. i decided to turbo it so i purchased the cxracing t3/t04e turbo kit, installed 550cc injectors and a z32 maf and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. im using bkr7e spark plugs. i had someone reflash my ecu for the mods. i was planning to run around 12 psi. when i start the car it runs fine at idle, you give it a little gas and you can hear the turbo start to spool then once it starts boosting it cuts out real bad like its hitting a rev limiter, not a bog but like a limit. it does it both static and under load. any ideas?
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: ka-t wont run

Post by shift_down »

Do you have a wideband?
If so:
Is your car running super rich?

Does it hit a limit at around 3000rpm?

If the answer is yes to one or both of these questions, proceed to index x142

Index x142:
Check your MAF

Any other symptoms that you know of?
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
vilado17
NooB

Post by vilado17 »

Ok ecu was in limp mode. Rewired maf and cleared codes. Runs but still breaks up under boost. Gapped plugs to .028. My valve seals leak a little but i don't think its fouling the plugs. it was running at .035 but broke up bad so i closed the gap but still breaks up kinda bad
vilado17
NooB

Post by vilado17 »

the car also keeps throwing code 34. i changed the spark plugs to bkr6e at a .040 gap and it runs better but still not very good. the plugs are dark black fouled when i pull them out.
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by neverlift »

34 is the knock code, you either experienced enough knock to put the ecu into limp mode or you have a bad sensor or wiring causing the code. Heat range 6 is pushing your luck over 5 or 6psi.

Also your gap is set pretty aggressive for boost unless you have the supporting mods.

what is your afrs idle/cruise/boost?

oil can and will cause detonation in the cylinder.. especially in boost..
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Get bkr7e and gap down to .030. Add an extra ground to head. It may resolve the code as it did for me.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

shift_down wrote:
1.Do you have a wideband?
If so:Is your car running super rich? or lean?

2.Does it hit a limit at around 3000rpm?
^have you checked on these yet?

Also, I was wondering: have you checked out the cap and rotor condition on the distributor?
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
vilado17
NooB

Post by vilado17 »

I don't have a wide band but the car is running rich before i put the bkr6 in i had bkr7e at .028. That's what I'm using now also. Car burns oil im not sure if its the spark plug gaskets for the valve cover or valve seals but when i pull the plus out the have oil around them and cylinder threes plug is usually wet.
2hunglow1standhi
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 2hunglow1standhi »

Ok, before you started this build? Was this engine in good running condition? Whats the milage? Compression / Leak down results? Age of sensors, harness plugs and wires? Whats the condition of the vacuum hoses? Ignition system? Timing both cam and base set right? Exhaust system, no leaks?

I only ask because if the engine and its sensors are not in good shape, its not going to like being boosted much. Many things could be working against you.

Oil on plugs (fouled). Check compression then gaskets.

Gas on plugs (rich). Do a boost leak test, KA's have nooks and cranny's that love to leak boost.

Cutting out, stuttering, hesitation while boosting (spark blow out) and or (boost or exhaust leak). Check ignition and exhaust system components.

Finally, your flashed ECU is going to need the correct information from the engine and various sensors to run properly. Mainly, Timing-MAF-TPS-CTS-KS-CAS-IACV-AAV. Who flashed it? And with what in mind? Is it matched for your engines build? Injectors? Boost level? MAF?

Then comes the little gremlins.... Even a tuned car's have them... Sometimes components or sensors will just suddenly go bad even after checking them. Heck, even new parts from the auto parts stores are bad right outta the box.

Good luck, keep at it... You will figure it out.
Saving KA24's... One at a time...
vilado17
NooB

Post by vilado17 »

The engine had 185 psi of compression. New z32 maf new 550 injectors. Stock motor new fuel pump. Everything in the engine bay looks good. No vacuum leaks. Its breaking up before boost running way rich. Today the coupler for the maf broke while i was driving it and i could actually accelerate to red line and build boost. Still couldn't go full throttle but it ran significantly better. The tuner thinks he set it to rich so he's sending me a different tune.
2hunglow1standhi
Dreams of owning a 240!

New? Z32 maf? As in $$$ from Nissan oem? Or a aftermarket new MAF? Some aftermarket MAF's are funky.

But yeah, once in a while its the tune... On some cars, and ECU's, tunes are just finicky.

Are you able to get the car to the tuner? And dyno tune it? Most tuners have seen it all when it comes to problems running, and a tuners brain is sure to help figure it out if he can be there.

I hope you get that re-tune and be able to plug and play soon!

Keep us all updated.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Is the air filter clean?

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
vilado17
NooB

Post by vilado17 »

its an aip one off the internet. it tests the same as it should. .5 ignition on and car off 1.22 at idle until today when it was testing .6 running and ignition on car off. then i was checking the 12 volt wire on the maf for voltage and hit the ground terminal and power terminal together saw a spark and now it measures no voltage in and .04 on the white wire when running and wont come out of safe mode.
2hunglow1standhi
Dreams of owning a 240!

If the MAF power wire and signal wire on the harness is not giving the 12v power or 0-5volts signal, then open up your ECU and look for burnt traces, or any burnt pins... Lot of the times the MAF can handle the short circuit and it sure soundls like it will be fine, but the ECU might be fried now..
vilado17
NooB

Post by vilado17 »

OK I'm thinking of going with emanage ultimate. Anybody have any decent tunes to match my set up?