car will not start...

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Re: car will not start...

Post by nissanfanatic »

The easy way to test it is to hook a multimeter up to test voltage at the starter positive input and turn the key, if it has 12v then the everything is working to get 12v to the starter. Next test resistance between the starter and a chassis ground. It should be very low; less than one ohm. If that all checks then the starter is bad.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
Drift Racer
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Drift Racer »

Thanks nissanfanatic, i will test that as soon as i can and post here the numbers i get :)

To test the starter i´ll put the negative multimeter probe on any ground point (frame, engine) right? Remember, i have the battery on the trunk!

cheers
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

Correct.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
Drift Racer

Post by Drift Racer »

Ok, so i got some readings, tested the voltage on the positive pin (screw) of the starter and got 12.6v and when i turn the key to the ON position, it drops to arround 12.0v!

For testing the resistance i used the ignition wire on the starter, so grounding on the frame and probing were the ignition wire connects to the starter i get 0.5 Ohms, then when i turn the key to the ON position, i get 15.5 Ohms and when the fuel pump stops priming, it drops to 13.8 ohms!
I also tested the ground, probing the solenoid body, got 0.04 Ohms!

I didn´t do any readings while starting the engine, i´ll do them on my day off!

Let me know what you think about this numbers, thanks
Drift Racer

Post by Drift Racer »

Hi, so i think (and hope) my ocasional "no start" issue is fixed :) i added a ground from de engine to the chassis and so far, its starting well, every time i turn the key, for about a week, i also noticed the engine is struggling less to start :) will see how it works :) Thanks for the help :)