Help!! Altima oil return question

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
1st gen altima
NooB

Help!! Altima oil return question

Post by 1st gen altima »

I've been Driving with this setup for quite some time:
Goodspeed T3/t4 turbo oil cooled
SR 370cc injectors
Jim Wolf Ecu
stock MAF and block
My problem now is between shifts I'm getting large amounts of blue smoke which lead me to believe its the turbo. So I changed it out for a new one and maybe 3 mounths later same problem, blue smoke when you get on the gas hard and release maybe anywhere after 3000rpm. inspected the turbo and found oil inside the inlet in a typhoon like pattern..so now ive rebuilt both turbos none of them had any shaft play prior to rebuilding..im trying to find out whats frying the seals in theses turbo..my biggest lead for this problem is the Altima's oil pan design is so shallow compared to the rwd Ka. This only leads me to believe that my oil return is not flowing properly. Now I know when I was setting it up your suppose to make sure the return line is above your oil level in the pan. I have my bung welded as high on the pan as possible I don't think it can be moved higher.I have a 90 degree 10 AN fitting straight up to the turbo. is there any other return options for the ka
oil pan.jpg
2hunglow1standhi
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: Help!! Altima oil return question

Post by 2hunglow1standhi »

Are you running a oil inlet restrictor? What weight oil do you run? -10 for a drain is good. Other then the pan, some Honda friends drill and tap the bottom of the block. Is the return a straight shot down from the turbo?

What brand of rebuild kit did you use? Most guys rebuild using Genuine Garret kits.
Saving KA24's... One at a time...
rickeybobby
Learners Permit

Post by rickeybobby »

i agree with 2hunglow... pull your pan and fill it with the oil you just drained and see where it lies next to your return hole and then you know if you need a better rebuild kit on your turbo and a proper size restrictor wouldn't hurt either
N/A
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

I've been turboed since 2000 with my Altima. If you put the oil return in the metal pan you have pictured you will never get enough return. You need to drill and tap into the upper Aluminum part of the oil pan. I will post pic of mine later today. It's a PITA to do while it's on the car but not impossible. You will need to remove the lower piece you have picture here, use a Uni-bit to make the hole, then tap the hole, You are going to get metal in the oil pan so plan on wasting 3 cans of brake-clean and 3 quarts of oil. You will be using these to wash the metal shaving out of the pan. When you install the new fitting into the upper pan DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT. Apply some RTV ( or JB Weld..... yea I said it.... This one of those rare times it's ok to you it) let this set up over night and you'll never have an issue with oil backing up into the turbo. And as 2hunglow1standhi said make sure you have an oil restrictor installed
1st gen altima
NooB

Post by 1st gen altima »

ALTIMA-DET....shoot me some pics of your setup,i know exactly what your talking about .. i was almost certain that was my issue. And yes I've been running a restrictor with SAE 10w30 oil..I'm going to run this kind of return it sounds more efficient for the Altima.
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

Sorry it took so long. For some reason I couldn't upload via Mobile site from my phone