Quick PCV Question

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
solo_ryder
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Quick PCV Question

Post by solo_ryder »

Ive been reading alot of threads on PCV routing for KA-T and its still not 100% for me. I am doing a basic t28 setup. What is the easiest and most reliable way for me to run my system? Here are some options I have found.

1. Running the valvecover nipple to atmosphere with filter and leaving pcv system stock (probably a bad idea)

2. Running the valvecover nipple to atmosphere with a filter and running the stock pcv to a catch can then to the pre-turbo pipe

3. Running the valvecover nipple to the catch can with the pcv and running the other side of the catch can to the pre-turbo

Is option 3 going to work the best for me? Any check valves needed anywhere? Still having a hard time grasping what system will work best. Does anyone have recommendations for what catch can works well? I see alot of people with the moroso ones with the small filter on the top?
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: Quick PCV Question

Post by shift_down »

Didn't we just have a thread like this a week ago?
You will find many answers and many theories, understand what the pcv is, and you will be able to make your own decision.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
RosadoRacing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by RosadoRacing »

I run my valve cover and pcv to a catch can with -8 lines. That's it. I check it after a few runs and there's alot of gunk in there idk why anybody would want that goin in their turbo. I'm making 660+whp been this way for 2 yrs zero issues.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Thats good to know. The only thing I have read is that its good to have a vacuum source for the some parts of the pcv system and you do not get that by just running both lines to a catch can, but I think for now that setup you have will hold me down until I can get a really good setup going. I have enough on my plate getting the motor out and turbo kit installed
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

If you leave everything to atmosphere it will get your oil black in 1000 miles or less.
If you hook it to vacuum it will make your vacuum source dirty as ****
Its your choice.

I am planning on making a system that will give you the best of both worlds, but I need the time before I do it. I will post my results once I do it.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
1991240sxhatch
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by 1991240sxhatch »

you could just use this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-11189/overview/
with a good check valve not a plastic pos one a lot of v8 guys run these and they don't have any issues I plan to use this on my setup when its ready to run again by running my valve cover and pcv valve to a y or t fitting then to the scavenger fitting
neverlift

Post by neverlift »

that will not work, and did not work for me. As explained to me on here the exhaust pipe will have positive pressure.

I went as far as hooking up a vac gauge to the system, it would pull some vac for brief periods of times. It made my car smoke like a chimney during a polar vortex.

Feel free to try it yourself just be warned ..
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Haha this is why I post the question cause there are so many different things people say to try and not try and its tricky to figure out whats gonna work best without going to town on some crazy setup.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

I actually bought a Moroso scavenge kit for the exhaust (2 weld in pieces with check valves; same basic design as the one in the link above) and I was planning on installing one of the two it until I heard about the problems people were having with them, like Neverlift mentioned.

I have heard that if the catch can is recirculated [hose from valve cover, to air-tight sealed catch can (no breather filter), then to the intake], some of the oil can aerosolize, which would lean out fuel to air ratios. Since the most blow-by generally occurs at higher RPM's, this leaning out effect would be most prominent at higher RPMs, when the engine demands the most fuel and best possible air to fuel ratios.

For 4-5 years I've just been running a valve cover with the internal baffling removed and a hose going from the valve cover to a catch can that is just vented to atmosphere. I could be wrong, but I think the recirculating thing for the PCV is fine for a stock motor, but once the fuel and tuning are touched some of the stock system setups do not work as well.

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
1991240sxhatch

Post by 1991240sxhatch »

idk around here in tennessee ppl are runing them with no issues as long as its done correctly. Like I said a bunch of the mustang and camaro guys are running this setup and getting plenty of vacuum at idle and during throttle. With no smoking issues but like I said this is what im going to try out for my setup so to each his own
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

So to keep this simple for me, Leave the valve in the block, run to filtered catch can.. Run valve cover to filtered catch can.. Be done?
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

A simple setup would just be to run a hose from the valve cover to a catch can. Then if you want to you could put a breather filter on the other catch can hose port.

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

cleantune wrote:.
A simple setup would just be to run a hose from the valve cover to a catch can. Then if you want to you could put a breather filter on the other catch can hose port.

As of right now, it's just open to atmosphere, as well as valve cover.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

cmj wrote:So to keep this simple for me, Leave the valve in the block, run to filtered catch can.. Run valve cover to filtered catch can.. Be done?
Only keep the PCV valve if you will be running the system to a vacuum source. If it's going to be vented to atmosphere, remove the PCV valve and use a straight through 3/8 NPT hose fitting.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

My setup. Valve cover has breather. Then straight through barb on pcv --> catch can then catch can to pre turbo snorkel/CAI. On high boost, turbo will help suck catch can which will pull crankcase from block and fresh air will come in via valve cover. If I do not have the catch can hooked up to pre turbo CAI, my oil will smell like corn. Once it is connected, my oil won't start to smell until after a month or so.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
RosadoRacing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by RosadoRacing »

What about guys like me that don't use a maf n run the turbo open, where do we run the catch can to?
neverlift

Post by neverlift »

In the end pcv is more for emissions than anything, what you want most on a boosted engine is to not build pressure in the crankcase.

Short of a high flow vac pump nothing is ideal on a turbo setup imho. Next best thing, reduce CC pressure.
gtrpryde
240sx Wannabe

Post by gtrpryde »

I'll be using a Saikou Michi split DC3 http://www.saikoumichi.com/SPLIT_DC3_page.htm

with US Plastics check valves. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=489

I'll post pics when done (might be summer before I get around to it.)

The valve cover will get the air intake as it's "source" (hardly any suction but better than atmosphere.)

The crankcase (under intake manifold) will get it's vacuum source from the intake manifold with a checkvalve to prevent crankcase pressure under boost.

It's not a perfect solution but better than what I have now which is atmospheric for both. A electric or mechanical vacuum pump would be more ideal but are very costly and have moving parts which may be costly if they fail due to too much blow-by...
KA-T / 50 trim / JGS manifold / DW550cc / Z32 maf / Q-Garage tune / 12psi

Philippians 4:6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.