front crank seal keeps popping out, any suggestions?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
91boostedb20
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

front crank seal keeps popping out, any suggestions?

Post by 91boostedb20 »

Hey everyone, im trying to work out all the bugs of my recent turbo install. I got the car tuned to 10psi, but after parking it I noticed oil leaking from the front of the engine. I put it up on the lift and noticed the front crank seal had popped out of the front housing. So I removed the crank pulley and installed a brand new Timken seal. I noticed it went in the housing real easy, but I went back out and drove it and it popped out again. So I removed the pulley again and installed an old seal I had laying around, it fit tighter, so I took it back out and boosted it up again and all seemed ok. After driving the car more and boosting more it popped out like the old one. The seal will only pop out under boost.

I have a straight fitting coming out of where the pcv valve was, that goes to the inlet of a baffled catch can and the outlet goes to pre-turbo intake pipe, valve cover has a breather filter on it. Intake manifold ports were all plugged with pipe plugs. I believe this setup is pretty popular with the ka-t's. I ordered an oem Nissan front seal, Im gonna put the sealant around it before I put it in the front cover.

I rebuilt the engine last year, it was bored .020 over, JE pistons installed, had the crank and rods refurbished, stock cylinder head, has an aftermarket front cover(might be the issue), engine runs very strong and doesn't smoke or burn oil. Ran it N/A all last summer without issues.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome, thanks in advance.
Attachments
20140323_121814_zpsa1454008.jpg
supakat
SuperMod

Re: front crank seal keeps popping out, any suggestions?

Post by supakat »

Your on the right track about checking in the crank is getting pressurized. Do a boost leak test to see if you hear any hissing coming from crankcase area. Weird issue issue since you plugged all egr ports up.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

I did a boost leak test after building the fmic piping and it held 15psi without hissing anywhere, the valve cover breather blows quite a bit of air out of it when the engine is cold, but once it warms up it barely blows anything out. The piston to wall clearance is .005" so that is understandable when cold.

Do you recommend putting some kind of sealer around the new seal when I go to put it in? Im a Honda mechanic and when I put new front crank seals in the front cover when doing timing chains you really have to hammer them in, Ive never used sealer around them either and never had issues. I hope that's how the new seal will go in when I get it.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Yea, I never had issues like that. Leads me to believe the front timing cover is damage or some crazy odd thing. You can try rtv but I doubt it will hold it. The motor is healthy so no blow by. Try getting an oem one from dealership to verify seal is correct. If same issue, timing cover needs to be changed, I would say.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

That's exactly what I am thinking, I ordered a new oem one, it wont be here until like Thursday. I figured I would try a 10 dollar seal before spending big bucks on a new oem front cover. Im pretty sure the front cover on it is a cheapo aftermarket one, it came with the engine when I bought it. Thanks for the help!!!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

No problem. Hope the seals were the culprit.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by neverlift »

I had an issue on my sohc with front seals going out, it was the crank pulley itself had worn such a groove the spring could not make a solid contact. Remedy for me was a different pulley however an old timer suggested a speedy sleeve. But if you have a janky cover thats probably the issue.
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

I made sure to check the pulley for a groove and it seems ok, no abnormal wear. Im really hoping the new seal fixes it.