FRESH KA-T BUILD PROBLEMS!!! PLEASE HELP!!! DETAILS!!!

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Kawitwofiddy
NooB

FRESH KA-T BUILD PROBLEMS!!! PLEASE HELP!!! DETAILS!!!

Post by Kawitwofiddy »

He guys, so I recently slapped a turbo on my ka and am at a loss of ideas along with the people that work at the shop I intern at. SOOOO initially, I had a flashed ecu from nismotroinics just to get going on the road until I could go standalone/map/realtime. I had a z32 maf setup drawthrough with sr 370's on a .60 A/R t3 turbo, and open downpipe for now. Start it up, my afr's are in the 10.0-11.5:1 range, had a few things to work out, etc. I decide to try and let it see boost, and it cuts and sputters and overall just runs like ****. It's also idling like ****. Sounding cammed as *****. I go over timing, and verify everything, reset distributor timing, and at this point I know its all dead on. I started it after playing with stuff and no good idle nothing. I've soldered my maf wires in at this point, just every little thing I can think of. I decide to go back to 270's, s13 maf and a buddies stock s13 ecu and see if my idle clears up and leans out closer to stoich. All put back to stock, I start it, and nothings changed. I put the maf directly on my intake, and noticed a loose coupler exiting my turbo. Pull it all off, maf on the intake I start it and it idles the best it has, and runs perfectly stoich. I go and tell the guy I work for and say it is cleaner now, by the time I come back its worked its way back down to the 10.0-11 range again but idles decent. Thinking weve made progress I slap my intercoolr setup back on and start it. 14.7 for about 10-15 seconds then right back down. it likes to sit right on 10.0 or 10.9. Its weird as *****. At the time it was maf straight to inlet with a coupler between, and no air filter. I put an air filter on and gave it some distance since then, with no change. My idle also has become **** again, and actually clears up when unplugged. I also believe the maf is bad, because I purchased it(used still) shortly before going turbo and it fixed that problem. Thinking about all the gas that is in my oil and thats washing out my cylinder walls slowly makes my butthole clinch....

Things I've done since:

-swapped fuel rail on Friday because I was on 3 cylinders from leaky injector so that has been solved(I know I didn't mention above but still runs ****.)
-I have strong spark on all cylinders. newer dizzy cap and rotor
-new o2 sensor
-wired in my IAT sensor (HOW CRUCIAL IS THIS SENSOR?) its not wired in atm
-CTS sensor is relatively new- ~6 months old <5,000 miles
-Hoked up a timing light to my car and set it to 20* TPS plugged in because it idles worse disconnected- I have to turn the dizzy all the way one way to get it there, and my idle doesn't do much as you tune it. I still usually sits at 14.6-9 upon start up then creeps down by tenths of each number down to 10's.

MY next moves as of now are: (this is where your input is wanted)

-solder maf wires tomorrow
- maybe try other set up again
-find some scrap I/c piping to try a blow through maf setup (eliminate turbulence from the equation)
-test sensors
-I am working on getting a ms3x standalone with the DIY harness to eliminate any potential wiring problems if its not solved by then.
-I lost my job today so im pretty much survival mode until I get more income. So I will do as much as I can and spend as little money as possible for now.
-put maf back on intake and see what happens

My motor was put out of service for a timing chain replacement, along with mls hg and arp studs to prep for boost, and ended up going turbo at the same time. I removed all the emissions, removed tb coolant along almost all vacuum lines, cleaned all valves on manifold along with caked oil inside manifold from pcv, just a small rebuild.

Ill tryto get a video up some how for you all to see it. Thanks in advance fo any input.
supakat
SuperMod

Re: FRESH KA-T BUILD PROBLEMS!!! PLEASE HELP!!! DETAILS!!!

Post by supakat »

Try putting the MAF ground wire to chassis and one to ecu. I had this issue with z32 and posted a pic up on the site.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Kawitwofiddy
NooB

Post by Kawitwofiddy »

When the z32 maf was on that's how I had it. I'm still on my stock set up because I thought maye I had a bad tune
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Sorry didnt read fully. Check coolant temp sensor for continuity. Sounds like cts issue possibly.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by neverlift »

recently assisted a local guy with similar issues, he had a few adding up to a terrible running enthalpy tuned car, none of it enthalpy's fault!

He had someone ***** him out of an n62 maf and had a n60 on the car so it was pegging the map almost instantly , I gave him a maf it got better but he was still in the 10-11:1 constantly, I pulled the injector plugs one by one and sure enough he had leaking injectors.

Just a few thoughts...

I would really urge you to change the oil!
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Yep check the MAF signal voltage. Sounds like it could be pegged at 5V, I've seen this happen before. Also if you can, upload your bin file, could be some wrong values.

And definitely change your oil before doing any driving, fuel is not a good lubricant!
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Kawitwofiddy
NooB

Post by Kawitwofiddy »

airman wrote:Yep check the MAF signal voltage. Sounds like it could be pegged at 5V, I've seen this happen before. Also if you can, upload your bin file, could be some wrong values.

And definitely change your oil before doing any driving, fuel is not a good lubricant!
It's a 100% stock ecu right now. Not chipped or anything.

So I haven't yet soldered my maf wires, i cleaned it though, and I bypassed my turbo set up, idles good, and the first time I started it the afrs were from 11-12.5 but after it went back to normal. I don't know if you all will e able to see the video I took but I think it runs 12-13 around 2500 rpm bought a new cts sensor gonna try that next although I don't that's it. Bought new oil to change it. Need to change my front main seal as it leaks a lot but I've been delaying. I'll keep the ones that have helped so far updated along with the public and if anyone has ideas please chime in... Thanks
Kawitwofiddy
NooB

Post by Kawitwofiddy »

For a long time I was pulling code 55, and knew ishouldve had codes and it wasn't, but now its reading 11, 12 and 34 which are Crank angle sensor, maf and Knock. I believe maf and knock are from unplugging the sensors. I have yet to reset and try again. I'm scared to actually. I am waiting to change my oil. Thinking about it really freaks me out. It's not my daily anymore luckily and the guys at the shop are very patient with me. Ill post more tomorrow but don't know how far I will get tomorrow either. ANybody think the problems my dizzy?? I have strong spark, fires right up with the turbo bypassed. also can it be a tooth off on the dizzy and still sound smooth? It does get a bit more rough as it got warm but I assume its from the mixture. FYI I haven't started my car since last night and have stopped starting it at all until the oils changed and hopefully the front seal aswell.