diy exhaust silencers?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

diy exhaust silencers?

Post by beercandrifter »

looking for links/references/pictures on what others have done for making diy exhaust silencers.

have a 4" tip -> 3" piping that I am trying to make a silencer for, not sure how to go about it. figured someone here would have made one before. Will just be searching for ideas in the meantime
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: diy exhaust silencers?

Post by neverlift »

I've used a lawnmower muffler before(3") after some cutting and drilling it was alright.. Was not worth the effort a resonator would have done more and been less work.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

neverlift wrote:I've used a lawnmower muffler before(3") after some cutting and drilling it was alright.. Was not worth the effort a resonator would have done more and been less work.

debating between some steel wool with a drain cover or dual pipes with 2 1/4 pipes instead of the single 3".
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by neverlift »

maybe stainless steel wool I would not trust regular steel wool for more than 6 moths daily here in humid florida. Loooooooose fiberglass packing will kill a good amount of noise.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

didnt even think about the wool rusting, thanks for reminding me. I really want to just pack it for now so I can fire up the car. everything seems to be more noisy until you get idle sorted out on the tune

i found these nifty butterfly valves you can put inline with your exhaust that let you open/close them to dampen some of the noise. seems to be no more than a throttlebody with a cable on it to me
http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/exhaust/ ... alves.html
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I added two resonators from Vibrant performance (aka Verocious Motorsports) to my exhaust and they made a huge difference. I added one of these where the cat would go: http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Sho ... -Resonator

And I put one of these on a straight section that runs next to the driveshaft: http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Sho ... tor-18-OAL
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

right now the 3" exhaust has 2 mufflers and a 18" resonator. was hoping for a cheap solution, otherwise it just makes sense to replace the whole exhaust

thanks for the input guys
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

i took a 10$ ebay silencer and chopped off the tube so i was left with just the cone insert.

took the cone (right where i just cut off the tube) to a sander to open up the diameter as i think it was all of 1.5"

got a peice of 2.5" pipe about 12" long.

swiss cheezed it. prob like 70 3/8th inch holes

welded em together.

looped a piece of mechanics wire off a hole on one end.

wrapped the tube in home insulation and used the mechanics wire to tie it all down.

some times we have muffled events and it works and even sounds great. it does create a fair amount of back pressure though despite all the holes and the fair sized diameter. my boost drops like 3 psi with it in.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s