Might be moving oil filter, where?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Might be moving oil filter, where?

Post by cleantune »

Hey girls and guys, I'm looking into relocating the oil filter to allow "easy" access to a pressurized oil line. Before I over think this, I thought hmmm.... let me ask everyone on here first. So, where is everyone relocating their oil filter to with our engines? (pics would be much appreciated :D )

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: Might be moving oil filter, where?

Post by shift_down »

I think this calls for some MSPAINT action!
Post a shot of your engine bay and maybe we can have some fun in this thread! :P
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Great idea! Here you go:

Its a junk pic I know (cell phone cam). This forum's pic format, is still cutting off my photos too, but they are still clickable and I guess the oil filter would probably go on the intake side or outside of the engine bay to keep away from heat anyways.

...And if anyone else has pics of where they relocated their oil filter to, please feel free to post them; even if it was relocated outside of the engine bay.

i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

My oil filter is on my passenger side strut tower. You can see a pic in the dyno section under "6466".
Project - Aries 8.8.1, Crower pro series rods, Kelford 272, 11mm head studs, Five0 2150cc, Magnafuel-4303, PTE6466

Daily - 95 stock block, ARP's, bigger ring gaps etc, 57Trim/63A/R, 550cc, z32 Maf, 93 octane /110 octane maps.

Follow me on Instagram @Prep_40oz
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

there anything you can do relocation wise if you already have an oil cooler setup? i dont want to loose the t-stat greddy sandwich. i recall jeff @ 240sx motoring tried stacking sandwiches and it didnt seal well. anyone on her try putting a relocation sandwich/cap ontop of an oil cooler sandwich?
ENG>Cooler Sandwich>Relocation Cap?

someones got to have thought of / tried this /come up with a solution already?

to the OPs original intent of the thread.... if i could put it anywhere i would likely put it down low on the frame rail. assuming i can reach around the skid plate to get at it.
Last edited by sdaigle240 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

I never personally did. I know they have kits that come with the t-stat, oil cooler and relocation all in one.
Project - Aries 8.8.1, Crower pro series rods, Kelford 272, 11mm head studs, Five0 2150cc, Magnafuel-4303, PTE6466

Daily - 95 stock block, ARP's, bigger ring gaps etc, 57Trim/63A/R, 550cc, z32 Maf, 93 octane /110 octane maps.

S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

Put it on the strut tower next to the wiper motor considering it looks like your not running heater hoses into the cabin it makes for easy access and a
clean look and youll have plenty of room
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

thats just not very conducive to nice clean bay. besides, you HAVE to get under there for the drain plug.... frame rails right next to it.

peeps running em..
does it make more of a mess un screwing one of these things pointing up or down?
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

Stock newer subaru's have the oil filter pointing up also. Sometimes all the oil from the filter drains into the lines making the removal process clean. It's a hit or miss but nothing a rag can't handle.

S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

You can make a block with a cup pretty much built onto it or buy one like the toyota tacoma has em. I would only relocate it if you use a cooler otherwise yeah no point considering you gotta get under there to drain oil anyway
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

now that i think of it yeah id want the filter lower than the cooler... so the cooler actually drains when doing a change.
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

Dirty oil always stay in and engine no matter where the filter is located. If your going to put it lower than the oil cooler then don't relocate it period. It would be wasting money in my opinion. People mostly relocate if they need clearance or for ease of access to the filter aka up by the strut tower. This is clearly just my opinion though. Let me know which route you choose.

cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Great suggestions everyone! Maybe we could just turn this into an oil filter relocation discussion thread for all chassis? or does one of these exist already?

Anyways... I guess one other added bonus to relocating the oil filter is opening up the choice to upgrade to a larger oil filter. A relocation would also help to open up some more easy-to-access "oil line real estate" for tapping into; in particular, an oil cooler/ remote thermo setup, accusump, and/or maybe an oil pressure gauge fitting.

i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

Wow actually that's a really big plus and is usually a big factor for helping people relocate. Sorry to get a bit off topic but I'm running a PBM unit/housing. The part number of their "big filter" does not show up. Does anyone know the cross reference that would fit their unit? I guess the OP can use that added info also for a bonus.

cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Not too off topic, I was actually looking into PBMs kit for relocation. If you have the same unit that is on PBMs site now, they say "FRAM PH7317, MOBIL 1 M1-110 or equivalent diameter filter". From what I remember its a pretty commonly sized oil filter.

sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

i_slide wrote:Dirty oil always stay in and engine no matter where the filter is located. If your going to put it lower than the oil cooler then don't relocate it period. It would be wasting money in my opinion. People mostly relocate if they need clearance or for ease of access to the filter aka up by the strut tower. This is clearly just my opinion though. Let me know which route you choose.
i dont see how it being lower than the cooler has anything to do with the investment but...

my cooler and lines hold about a quart of oil.
the engine holds onto a half.... at most.

5 qts total.
when you change your oil you would have 3.5 qts clean oil to 1.5 qts dirty oil.
when i change my oil i would have 4.5 qts clean oil to .5 qts dirty oil.

thats 9:1 vs 2.3:1 big difference, especially when that remaining 1.5qts has already seen repeated hot laps over 250F and probably sheared to a lower viscosity. also a plus for experiment with oil types as this minimizes mixing.

i run a ford oil filter. its about 3/4" -1" longer than a stock 240 filter. fits in the stock location.
purolator p/n pl20252

peep this article doods. bros dont let bros run fram, and no need to waste your scrilla on M1
http://www.minimopar.net//oilfilters/reference.html
http://www.minimopar.net//oilfilters/opinions.html
http://www.minimopar.net//oilfilters/index.html
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

^Thanks for the links. Good call on the FRAM and M1. I suppose one could just use the part numbers for these to find what cars use them and then use that car make/model/year to find a different brand.

I've been using Bosch filters myself. I read in one of those articles that purelator makes bosch filters now though? I'm going to do some research on this later I think.

Have you ever had any probs with the Purelator filters?

i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

i'll be honest and say I've never thought about the "draining" part of the process and how much oil may still be in the engine. I do have the PBM kit but my local auto parts store did not carry the filters and crossed referenced it with a smaller WIX filter. (I learn something new every single day)