Need a little info

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
1bdapl
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Need a little info

Post by 1bdapl »

Having mixed info and I cannot get a straight answer. What or is there a difference in a S13 kade block and a S14 kade block!
Can anyone please give me a straight answer?
And list the differences if any.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Re: Need a little info

Post by airman »

In the bottom end, nothing is mechanically different. The S13 and S14 heads are slightly different, you just have to match parts that attach to it. IE if you have an S13 bottom end, you could bolt an S14 head onto it but you would need an S14 timing cover and S14 distributor. The intake and exhaust manifolds bolt up the same, but I believe the S14 intake manifold would have some more or different sensors, so be aware. As such, the engine wiring harness would need to be matched with the intake manifold/distributor/coil.

Water pump, alternator, power steering pump (?), air conditioning compressor (?), will all be interchangeable.

What exactly are you looking to do? We can guide you a little better.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
1bdapl

Post by 1bdapl »

I am building an E85 engine. Already bought a lot of the parts....Custom JE pistons 11.5 to 1, K1 rods, BC custom grind cams, BC vavletrain. So it is time to do all the machining. Took the block in and one of the cylinders is not straight. Engine had been bored before to .020.
So basically I cannot use this S14 block.
I have s13 blocks at home but never really looked at the differences in the blocks.
If they are the same I can take in a 13 block I already have and not have to shell out more money to buy another 14
1bdapl

Post by 1bdapl »

Really? none on here knows? Ugh
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I'm pretty sure my post answers your question unless you asked something else I'm missing..
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

Yup they're the same as airman clearly explained. The intake manifold for s14 has more emmison related components. Im using s13 block with s14 head for my build
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
1bdapl

Post by 1bdapl »

Ok I understand about the head and upper timing cover being the same. I am wondering about the front cover and oil pump. I cannot afford any surprised down the road is all.
So if I use the 13 bottom end I can use the 14 head, 14 upper and lower timing covers,14 oil pump without issue?
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TrackStarGT »

I'm using an s13 block for my current build, all else is s14.
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602