How do you guys control timing?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
LowBudget
NooB

How do you guys control timing?

Post by LowBudget »

hello, Quite new here, just registered.I have a 1995 hard body with the KA24E, nice and fun little truck, and i am really close to buying everything to rebuild and turbo it. I am shooting for 250-280 reliable horse power .I have been looking on here for a few weeks for information, and have found quite abit, but i still have a question.

how do you control your timing retard under boost? Of course you can turn the distributor, but that is not the greatest solution as we all know. I forget were I read it, but It said that on a ka24e/ka24de, you want to retard .75 degress per pound of boost. is that correct? and if you were running really bad, low octane gas you would want more retard right?
I was looking at the MSD btm, but have read that you also need a msd ignition box to run it, is that true? or can you splice the btm into your stock harness? what other solutions do you guys have?

Also what kind of Fuel management should I run?
I was thinking of running a split second AFC: https://splitsec.com/product/arc2-ne/
Or... a vortech 8:1 FMU: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30031
I do know that I would have to run upgraded injectors. I was thinking of straight up upgrade ones, or some 500cc (or is it 550CC) rx7 injectors with resistors wired in.

Thanks for your help
jeremy_nash
NooB

Re: How do you guys control timing?

Post by jeremy_nash »

I am going to be running an aem fic-6 it will add fuel and retard timing under boost, it can also tune for larger injectors out of boost.
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: How do you guys control timing?

Post by TrackStarGT »

first of all, you will not being running "crappy gas" unless you want to quickly destroy your engine and throw money out the window. 6 octane points are enough change to cause major detonation, if you retard your timing you're losing major power totally countering what you just spent all that money on, so FORGET low octane gas. Get Megasquirt! It works as well as any feature packed full stand alone tuning system.
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602