Engine testing for goin' snail power.

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
BoostLeaks
NooB

Engine testing for goin' snail power.

Post by BoostLeaks »

Hey guys, brand new to the forum, relatively new to owning S-chassis and somewhat familiar with NA-T.

My question is: are there any tests you would do aside from a compression test to determine whether or not your engine is healthy enough to consider boost? Naturally, boost will exacerbate any issues with the motor you already have. I'm looking to do a 250~ hp build so nothing too crazy, but I'd rather be sure my motor will handle what I throw at it.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Engine testing for goin' snail power.

Post by S14wayz »

BoostLeaks wrote:Hey guys, brand new to the forum, relatively new to owning S-chassis and somewhat familiar with NA-T.

My question is: are there any tests you would do aside from a compression test to determine whether or not your engine is healthy enough to consider boost? Naturally, boost will exacerbate any issues with the motor you already have. I'm looking to do a 250~ hp build so nothing too crazy, but I'd rather be sure my motor will handle what I throw at it.
No, that's pretty much it unless you tear down. If you get good compression then you will be fine with 250 all day. Just make sure oiling and cooling are in check those are the main killers on ka's
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
BoostLeaks
NooB

Post by BoostLeaks »

S14wayz wrote:
BoostLeaks wrote:Hey guys, brand new to the forum, relatively new to owning S-chassis and somewhat familiar with NA-T.

No, that's pretty much it unless you tear down. If you get good compression then you will be fine with 250 all day. Just make sure oiling and cooling are in check those are the main killers on ka's
Thank you man! I was intending on doing a new oil pump and water pump anyway, once I pulled it. Also a metal HG, studs and possibly bearings. I don't really have the know how to do serious internal stuff though. Kinda learning everything as I go.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

Skip the metal HG unless you're going to deck the head and block. If you don't a MLS headgasket won't seal properly and you will just have problems. For your power goals hands down go with a felpro, its more than adequate. New oil pump and water pump is for sure a good idea. That's how most of us learn, and KA's are a great starting point due to their simplicity and the wealth of information on these forums.
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534