Clevite Bearing sizes

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Ratrodtaylor
Learners Permit

Clevite Bearing sizes

Post by Ratrodtaylor »

Hey guys just having a hard time figuring out what main bearings I need, to get a more desirable oil clearance. I feel like my mind has turned to mush after blue printing my engine, I'm sure it's simple, I just can't think straight. So here's what I've got going on right now. I have MS-2080p clevite main bearings installed, which when I measured the thickness they are about .0715". my oil clearance on avg. is .0032" I think I should be more in the .0020" - .0025" range. Does anyone know what bearings I need to get to be within that range? It doesn't seem like Clevite lists the thickness of their bearings. I called Mahle and they couldn't really even tell me what the thicknesses were. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
supakat
SuperMod

Re: Clevite Bearing sizes

Post by supakat »

I did page EM-37 says. Measure the bore on the motor, then measure the crank. Subtract the values and see if you need to polish the crank.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1991- ... ral/EM.pdf
Attachments
fsm.jpg
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Ratrodtaylor
Learners Permit

Post by Ratrodtaylor »

Thank you, but I think I was misunderstood. I have already measured my crankshaft main journals and bearings while installed with the girdle torqued down just like it says. My problem now is I have slightly too much oil clearance (.0032"). So I need slightly thicker bearings to tighten up the oil clearance to the .0020"-.0025" range. I just don't know what clevite bearings I should order. I have the MS2080P clevite bearings right now. So I'm wondering if I should get the MS1949A-.25MM or MS1949A-.50MM and so on. I just didn't want to have to order 3 or more sets to get what I'm looking for. Thank you for your reply
ViperGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ViperGT »

they wont sell bearings in that small of an increment, you will need to either get a new crank or get yours ground and get over size bearings. i would go find another crank, verify with plasigauge before you do anything, sometimes micrometers read funny when you arent well versed with them.
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
ferrea/exhaust supertech/intake stk
supertech springs and retainers
bc valve guides v2 cams currently crower 288/288 (no good)
port and polish
arp head, main, rod bolts
osk timing
current: custom log mani, TIAL mvr,
later: ati SD garret gtx3071 currently in my possession looking for gtx3576
custom downpipe
lol:
sdaigle240 wrote:beat that thing like it owes you money.
Ratrodtaylor
Learners Permit

Post by Ratrodtaylor »

Thank you. I ended up taking it to the machine shop to have them grind it down and balance my rotating assembly. I thought it was strange when I dropped it off that they acted like they wouldn't be able to give me the .025" oil clearance I asked for. They pretty much told me they would grind it to the next bearing size -.25mm. Is it not feasible for them to remove say between .005"-.0010"? I'm just not sure what is fair to expect of a machine shop? any thoughts or input?
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

no its not feasible. polishing wont take any out either. As soon as the grinding stone touches that journal its automatically bigger (clearance)by .004". Only thing you can do is cut to the next oversize and have them cut to your desired oil clearance.

How much power and how much rpm you plan on turning? Factory specs are for a factory motor. ACL doesnt make a HX or and H series that adds .0005" or .001" clearance. So for ka's youre either stuck with some cleavites and hope for anything on the loose side of .0015" or get it cut to .002" or .0025". Mines setup with cleavites at .002" from what i remember.

Our 1200hp 2j motor is setup at .00225" to .0025" on all journals. p/w is .008" :) loose motors live.

You also might want to recheck recheck recheck your measurements, .0032" sounds fishy. What main bolts you using? what rod and rod bolt?
Last edited by Greaser on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratrodtaylor
Learners Permit

Post by Ratrodtaylor »

Thanks for that info that helps me out. I have eagle rods with ARP bolts and ARP main studs. That's right about the oil clearance I would prefer. I'm looking to run in the 300-400whp range
Ratrodtaylor
Learners Permit

Post by Ratrodtaylor »

Alright I got my crankshaft back from the shop and new .25mm oversized bearings and the mains have an oil clearance of .0021" which I can deal with, but I'm in the same boat I was in with my rods before I took the crankshaft in to get ground down. .0030" oil clearance. Super frustrating and getting tired of machine shops at this point. What do you guys think? Run it at .0030" or get it machined again?
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I would probably run it. I'd more so be concerned with clearances being very very close to the same.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
Ratrodtaylor
Learners Permit

Post by Ratrodtaylor »

I was sort of thinking the same thing, I'm just surprised after going to 3 different machine shops I ran into problems with all of them. I think I need some better luck with finding a reliable one
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

Pretty common issue. Most of them do work for average, everyday stuff. And it can come down to what machinist you get too. Just like a barber shop, the cut is all in the barber not the shop. You may search locally for a specific person and go to that guy only.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
Ratrodtaylor
Learners Permit

Post by Ratrodtaylor »

I like that analogy. :) Maybe that's what i'll have to do. I'll have to ask around at some of the performance/race shops and see who they use. Thank you.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

wait so they ground the rod journals or no?

.003 on a rod i'd run for sure.