ka-t running hot.

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
modulation
240sx Wannabe

ka-t running hot.

Post by modulation »

Ka-T with ISIS turbo kit except T25 as turbo running only 7psi.
Stock Radiator, Altima Fans

Nistune used to measure ECU temps.
Car ran ~84-88 degrees Celsius before I turo'ed it. Ambient outside air temps are in the mid-upper 80s'.
Now it runs ~88-94, and goes up to 95 (but stays steady) while going 75mph or so on interstate even though I'm out of boost for that time, in stop and go I've seen it get up to 99 or so. I can do a 2-4th gear pull at WOT and temps don't go up that much right away so I don't think there is air in the coolant. Replaced head gasket ~30,000 miles ago and used ARP studs. No boiling or gurgling in overflow tank.

It hasn't overheated, but from reading threads of others with a KA-T and other coolant temps it seems really high. Anyone else have this problem when they boosted?
nismo_dreaming
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: ka-t running hot.

Post by nismo_dreaming »

You've introduced extra heat in your engine bay, and blocked the airflow to your radiator so it only makes sense you're seeing higher temps. You also neutered your cooling power with electronic fans instead of the factory clutch fan on a stock radiator.

I've been through the same issue. Living in Texas, summertime temps hit triple digits easily and cooling was something I took very seriously. Some items that really helped my cooling temps were (in order of most effective)...

1) Koyo aluminum radiator
http://www.frsport.com/Koyorad-R1751-53 ... _1747.html

2) Flexalite dual fan setup
http://www.frsport.com/Flexalite-345--- ... 25397.html

3) Nismo lower temp thermostat
http://www.frsport.com/Nismo-21200-RS52 ... 59915.html

4) Using 50/50 mix coolant with Distilled Water (can get it by the gallon from any grocery store) seemed to also bring the temperature down a bit. Some people claim this is ineffective or even dangerous, but it dropped my temps and made them more consistent during hard use.
1996 240sx SE LS1
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Thanks for the reply and the information.

I have a Koyo-R on the way. After reading similar post last night I decided part of my problem was indeed airflow with the FMIC in the way. I only had one of the altima fans controlled by the fan controller, and the other one was connected to the ac. I realized this was stupid for a turbo car, I re-wired the fans so both are controlled by the fan controller, and just unplugged the ac fan connector for now. Today I drove around and much better temps 82-84 idling, 89-90 max after interstate drive and a few hard pulls. I'm sure once I get the new radiator on I'll have no problems.
nismo_dreaming
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by nismo_dreaming »

That's great bud. Glad to hear its running better.
1996 240sx SE LS1
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I always switch to a 70% distilled water/30% coolant mixture on any car that I own(every car in my signature). In my S2000 that is a TT/HPDE only car, I run 100% distilled water with one bottle of Motul Mocool.

Back when I first bought the S2000, it overheated on track so I decided to flush the coolant. I went to the mixture I mentioned and never had a problem again. Switching to the 100%/Motul mixture temps dropped another 5* on track. Now it stays around 195*F on track.

G35 also dropped considerably during street driving. It hangs around 180* (thermostat temp) for the most part.

Another thing you can do to help is vent the hood. It reduces engine compartment pressure to allow more air through the heat exchangers. Vent just aft of the radiator. I used a manometer on the S2000 to find the location that had the highest differential pressure and vented there.

Sealing any orifices around the radiator helps a lot. I couldn't seal the FMIC though because it blocked too much airflow to the radiator. Block off any areas where air can get around the radiator and create a duct into the radiator with sheet metal or something similar.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...