Sticky: DOHC Turbo For Dummies

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
virgindrifter
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by virgindrifter »

95auto240 wrote:how much would the Average: 300 rwhp to 350 rwhp, cost?
can someone please answer this question!! i have the same question!!
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

virgindrifter wrote:
Because I feel like being lazy I'm going to use the JGS kit as the majority of it as it will ease what I have to type...

Kit includes:

JGS Kit price $1702.49
T3/T04E Turbo
Manifold
Downpipe
Wastegate
Wastegate Dump pipe
Oil Lines

Still required:

JWT ecu/Enthalpy $600
550cc injectors $150 (Top feed RX7 or similar)
Z32 Maf $150
Top feed fuel rail $150 or so
SR Downpipe $100 roughly
Blow Off Valve $200
Intercooler $300
Intercooler piping kit $300 for JGS. This would vary greatly depending on who you know and if you can weld.

All prices are approximate
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
virgindrifter
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by virgindrifter »

veilside180sx wrote:
virgindrifter wrote:
Because I feel like being lazy I'm going to use the JGS kit as the majority of it as it will ease what I have to type...

Kit includes:

JGS Kit price $1702.49
T3/T04E Turbo
Manifold
Downpipe
Wastegate
Wastegate Dump pipe
Oil Lines

Still required:

JWT ecu/Enthalpy $600
550cc injectors $150 (Top feed RX7 or similar)
Z32 Maf $150
Top feed fuel rail $150 or so
SR Downpipe $100 roughly
Blow Off Valve $200
Intercooler $300
Intercooler piping kit $300 for JGS. This would vary greatly depending on who you know and if you can weld.

All prices are approximate
thanks a whole bunch, was too lazy just looking up prices!!
WeightLimit
Learners Permit

Post by WeightLimit »

Nice info
domantas
Learners Permit

Post by domantas »

Question for wellside180. "Usually it is necessary to have the first bend 2.5" to clear the steering shaft though." What you mean by that? What steering shaft have to do with that? Im guessing there is simple answer to that :oops: still a noob... :lol:
makas14
240sx Wannabe

Post by makas14 »

first off: nice thread... thanks.

and second, you mention that in basic setup (from 180-200whp) that in the fuel setups an SAFC and Greddy Emanage...

i was wondering, here is my setup: (planning to install this weekend)

t25 godspeed turbo(ebay, i know.. anyway...)
intercooler piping etc..
SAFC2
nismo fpr
walboro fuel pump
370cc sr injectors..

-------I have asked a couple of people if this would get my car running, not really at its fullest potential, but till i get some tuning, anyway.. you mentioned the E-manage... question is, would my car run fine without it or do i need it. any info would be great thanks again.
domantas
Learners Permit

Post by domantas »

Is this the one for "average" stage?
http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/gat350trw48.html
white_raven
NooB

Post by white_raven »

WOW first off AMAZING job on the post! That has help clear up a lot of my questions!
SO THANKS ALOT FOR ALL THE HELP!

Second I'm going for the Above Average Setup and I have a couple a quick, well hopefully quick questions! Don't worry I've been doing a lot of my own research. I'M NOT LAZY! hehehe..sorry anyways...on the Above Average Setup I will be running a T3/T4 Turbo on it, What is would be safe psi to run it at?

And Then on the internals part... the only thing I really have to replace is the pistons and rods? the rest of the internals can take the beating of 350+ hp?

And you didnt say if we needed to be running race gas on the Above Average Setup, but I'm assuming we don't cuz its still Average? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that?

And one last thing! I was told that i would be ok the use a sr20det MAF rather then a Z32 MAF, is that true or not?

Thanks for all your help guys!
That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.
contranication
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by contranication »

Does anyone run BC valves? what's the difference between these in supertech? in terms of quality?

Are Aftermarket valves really necessary for 400 hp
Spud5251
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Spud5251 »

not really, but having aftermarket valves(as long as they are a little bigger...ex. .5mm) will help the engine breath a lot better
Too much to list.

KA26DE-T in the making. BC Stroker Kit, Kelford 272's, borg warner s258 (18-20 psi)9.5 to 1 compression, Full Race Twin Scroll, and a few more goodies.....
subaruwrx420
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by subaruwrx420 »

I'm looking to get around 300whp. I plan on getting a ROM tune to go with 650cc or so injectors and Z32 maf. Does the MSD device allow one to fine tune the timing? I suppose it is the same as SAFC to fine tune the fuel maps even though I will be getting a ROM tune. Is the MSD absolutely necessary is what I want to know?

Thanks.
'98 Forester
'06 Evo IX
gukdoebabdoe
NooB

Post by gukdoebabdoe »

im looking for around 250-300hp area should i follow the 200hp listings or the 300hp listings?
virgindrifter
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by virgindrifter »

hey guys, can i use 300zx injecotrs on my set-up? i have a set of 370cc's and like two 555cc's just laying around and if i am able to use it, then i'm probably just gonna get two more of the 555's!! lmk, thanks!!
virgindrifter
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by virgindrifter »

hey guys, can i use 300zx injecotrs on my set-up? i have a set of 370cc's and like two 555cc's just laying around and if i am able to use it, then i'm probably just gonna get two more of the 555's!! lmk, thanks!!
virgindrifter
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by virgindrifter »

2high2aim

Post by 2high2aim »

WeightLimit wrote:Nice info
Hey with this the price for an SR20DEt is not included dude so you going to have to buy one plz help me i have an all stock KA24DE with about 201,000 miles in a 95 240SX and wanted to hit 350RWHP it is also going to be my Daily driver car. I am unsure which way would be cheaper rebuild KA24 with turbo or SR20 with an upgraded turbo. I been reading many Forums about the pros and cons of SR and KA

KA
-Your KA24DE has a cast iron block, your SR20DET wont... This is a GOOD thing.
-Your KA24DE will have a longer stroke and give you alot more push, your SR20DET will have a shorter stoke, but will give you alot more medium to redline power.
-Please do not buy an SR20DET drop-out because it came from japan, that doesn't mean much
-USA engine easy to gain parts locally and passes smog legally
-SR motor is weaker than the ka motor when it comes to the block. thats why sr people have to sleeve the blocks with cast iron sleeves.
-good for drag
-With a SR you dont no the condition of the internals of the motor and also it could have any amount of MILEAGE
-2.4liter

SR
-medium to redline power.
-has a stock turbo
-jdm also lot of parts available for Turbo kits and other stuff
-lighter weight good for drifting
-2liter

KA and SR
one motor is not better than the other. thats why your so confused, one motor is better suited than the other for certain things. for example if im drag racing i deffinately stick with a ka. but if im doing some highspeed action. im stickin with my sr. one motor is not better than the other. remember that.

SR20 vs. KA24 will never end. The KA's will give you that push you need to get the car into the drift, but can't be ridden on redline as much as you need them to be. With the SR, your not going to get as good of a say "power over" drift, but you can hold it a little better and the head will withstand a little more punishment.

The SR20DET (Redtop or blacktop) motor is from Japland, meaning you cant just run to autozone and pick up a part if it breaks... YOu have to know a dealer of those parts personally to be able to get them fast. Im going to assume (Please correct me if im wrong) that this car is your daily driver. Now, if you dont know that motor inside and out... and you take it to ahhh, lets just say a dealership... Your either going to have to get a 3rd job, a second job, or whore yourself out for a few years to afford the work.

SO there are some opinions.......hope that helps

HERE IS WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP

Which would be cheaper
rebuild, forged internals and turbo the KA
or
Do an engine SR Swap and upgrade turbo or wat ever

I wanted to reach 350RWHP and I will be driving it daily and i know that the SR will not pass smog but someone i know can help me with that problem for a few $$$. WEll which is the cheaper way to get to 350RWHP

I know a person that will do the stock swap of the SR REDTOP for $3000 with all the parts for the BASIC STOCK SWAP.

HELP?!?!?!?!?!????????????????????????????????? THANKS
My ride going to be an 95' 240SX KA24DE all stock with 201,000 miles helps me??

:?: :?: :!: :!: :?: :!: :?:
Chozen
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Chozen »

That was the longest, most annoying and pointless post I have ever read on this board. To help you in regards to your question, just rebuild the KA with good proven parts and run the biggest turbo and injectors you can afford along with a Walbro pump, Z32 MAF, and a ROM tuned ECU. There you go.
2high2aim

Post by 2high2aim »

Hey I wanted to know the price, name, brief info, and where to get it from like a web site that would be really helpful specially the rebuild part idk what kit to get like do i fix the lower or the top plz help like look this is a web page with the info

AMS Built/Ported KA24DE Race Head $1798 @ http://www.amsperformance.com/store/pro ... cts_id=843

or

AMS KA24DE Advanced Rebuild Kit $1709.20 @ http://www.amsperformance.com/store/pro ... cts_id=303

or what do I need to rebuild to be able to get a Nitrous/Turbo car. The nitrous I plan to use would be the Intercooler bar spray. So what do I need to put on it and please be specific not like a turno, turno, FMIC, wastegate ect.... More like how the named name of the part, price and link. This would be very helpful to me and a lot of other beginners.
Chozen

Post by Chozen »

Do you want one of us to buy it for you too? :roll:
2high2aim

Post by 2high2aim »

Hell yea if u want....
Chozen

Post by Chozen »

Just save your money while you learn. Matter of fact, just stop posting while you learn too. If youre resourceful enough to know about all these things you want for your car to make it go fast, then would hope you are resourceful enough to find the parts and do your own research. That is all.
2high2aim

Post by 2high2aim »

I respect what you say but i do not have that much knowledge and I thought it would be better for me to ask my questions and get the answer then read a million posts and not find it. Well I never rebuilt an engine so can you just tell me what I need to get like new pistons, ect and I can just search which ones are right for me. Well I would appreciate it if you answered my questions then criticize it. I think that would be helpful I am reading other peoples post also it is just it would be helping me and a lot more to tell use about the parts we would need to rebuild a KA or buy an SR which would be cheaper i can get a redtop for $3000 i have no idea how much rebuilding would cost, then a small turbo.

Which step should I take, I will be drifting I am currently drifting but wanted to get a 240SX to drift but I also want it fast, I know most people just get an SR but I want a bias opinion about what i should do.

WHICH PATH SHOULD I Take...................and what will be cheaper
1a) Rebuild KA (HOW MUCH DOES THIS COST)
1b) After a while then I plan on turboing it once i get the cash.
or
2a) Buy a SR20DET REDTOP and install it (I CAN GET IT DONE FOR ABOUT $3000)
2b) Rebuild SR20DET
2c) Upgrade to a bigger turbo
Chozen

Post by Chozen »

Ok, since you put it that way. I'll answer your questions.
If you can get the SR swap done for 3K, then do it.
Youre going to want forged pistons (come with rings), a Cometic head gasket, main bearings, ARP head studs and stock rods with ARP bolts with the KA minimum. All of those things with the machine work necessary, which includes rebuilding the head and checking everything is going to cost you in the neigborhood of $1500, plus labor if you arent the one doing it. On top of that is the $1500-$3000 you are going to spend on the turbo setup and all the little things that go with it.

BUT, and this is where the but comes in....

With the built KA as described above with those parts and even a T25 with stock MAF, tuned ECU, big pump, and 370's you will have a stronger motor than a stock SR swap and be making more HP and TQ with the same turbo and injectors.

At the same time, you could buy the biggest turbo and supporting setup you can afford for the built KA and make way more power than a stock SR swap, considering that you will be needing to change the entire turbo setup and get a reflashed ECU for the stock SR if you want to make more than what the stock SR turbo setup can handle anyway (around 250WHP).

SO, if you only want around 200WHP with no immediate need for more power and you want to save about a grand, then get the SR swap done for $3K. In the event that you decide to build the KA and spend more, then I will put you on to where to get the goods.

Did that help?
2high2aim

Post by 2high2aim »

Man Thanks a lot..... :D It is just I was kind of on the SR side because it is cheaper, faster to get boost because it already has a turbo and also I have seen a whole lot of aftermarket parts and support for the SR in Magazines and Websites. As for the KA I know it has more torque and is stronger then the SR and Heavier :cry: but I think with the guidance and support of yourself and others I will be happier in the long run with KA24DE-T my goal for now is 350RWHP. I want to be informed on what to do once I go for the KA rebuild. I want to be able to keep most of my parts when switching to a bigger turbo so I don't want to cheap out. Do you know how much it will cost including the KA rebuild and other aftermarket parts to reach the 350RWHP mark also remember that I will be a daily driver and will be not be putting race gas.

Well thanks for the information :arrow: "Youre going to want forged pistons (come with rings), a Cometic head gasket, main bearings, ARP head studs and stock rods with ARP bolts with the KA minimum. All of those things with the machine work necessary, which includes rebuilding the head and checking everything is going to cost you in the neigborhood of $1500, plus labor if you arent the one doing it."

" On top of that is the $1500-$3000 you are going to spend on the turbo setup and all the little things that go with it."

Well as for the turbo setup I will do later I will be focusing on rebuilding the engine first but just to have knowledge about what I should do after the rebuilt engine may you inform me more, like easy bolt ons to get even more horse power, tune-ups, and what is out there for the KA-T and other prep work before I can but the turbo in.

THANK YOU WERE MUCH U have HELP ME GREATLY and Many Other out there that are
about to modify there first car.

8) :o :D
Gangsta_S14

Post by Gangsta_S14 »

2high2aim wrote:KA
-SR motor is weaker than the ka motor when it comes to the block. thats why sr people have to sleeve the blocks with cast iron sleeves.
SR people do not have to sleeve the block up to a certain point.
2high2aim wrote:SR
-medium to redline power.
-has a stock turbo
-jdm also lot of parts available for Turbo kits and other stuff
-lighter weight good for drifting
-2liter
SR also has direct ignition and does not use a distributor.
Royal Flush
2high2aim

Post by 2high2aim »

Hey Gangsta_S14 you car looks off the hook how much $$ did you put into it well nice car man love it and how much do you think it would cost reach about 350RWHP on the SR because that is what I want to reach and what I the greatest potential it has because I am make the most difficult choice anyone has to make SR or KA and I am being persuaded do get an KA because it is faster but if I will be saving a lot and the potential is greater than I sould might as well get an SR well plz post your facts and knowledge Thanks man.
2high2aim

Post by 2high2aim »

Hey I know that the SR20DET is illegal what about the KA24DE turbo does it pass all regulations in CA or do you have pur$ude them???
Skeeg
240sx Wannabe

Post by Skeeg »

a ka-t will pass smog wise i believe, but will fail the visual inspection. least this is how it is in my area last time i heard.
DroptopS13
NooB

Post by DroptopS13 »

currently i have a t3/t4 .50 trim, FMIC w/ piping, turbo manifold, .38mm wastegate, BOV, ebay fuel pressure regulator, walbro pump, manual boost controller, and SAFCII. still working on getting a wideband o2, 550cc inj., and z32mafs, and an MSD ignition module for timing. now my questions are do i NEED to burn a new ECU for tuning, or cant i just use the wideband and safc to tune the stock ecu to my settings. also, would it be a good idea to go top feed for the injectors or is it ok to stay side feed? i found a cheap top feed fuel rail for like $30, does this bolt right on as a direct replacement for the stock fuel rail? would i need anything else besides the rail and injectors to make that work? heres the link for the rail: http://www.projectnissan.com/shopping/p ... oduct=3701

also, where can i get good oil return lines?

other than that, i think im ok. i wanna get this turbo setup going already.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
morbid
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by morbid »

Hey I have a noob question and didn't want to start a new thread and couldn't find my answer through search. Do you have to pull the engine to install your turbo kit?