Sticky: DOHC Turbo For Dummies

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
laredo_hustle
NooB

Post by laredo_hustle »

Gangsta_S14 wrote:Sorry if I missed it but I didn't see anything about prepping a high mileage ka. Mine has 175,xxx miles on it. What would you guys recommend to beef up an old motor before adding a turbo?

My car has 217000 Miles how can I start on my project (Sorry kind of lazy today)
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

First post could use an update for the influx of new guys
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Walperstyle wrote:First post could use an update for the influx of new guys
I'll get around to it one of these days. lol
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
93ka24dett
NooB

Post by 93ka24dett »

ok i read the turbo fof dummies....... on the 350 - 425 rwhp it says and typical rebuild items what night those be....???
HGOTBOOST
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by HGOTBOOST »

I got this in my mind what you guys think how much hp will i be pushing around 11psi stock internals on KA24de

- Turbonetics t3/t4 Super 60 trim
- Walbro 255 fuel pump
- HKS exhaust
- Intake
- FMIC
- Injectors 550cc
ignored281
NooB

Post by ignored281 »

thread needs a little updating, but very informative none the less.
moneymaker07893
Learners Permit

Post by moneymaker07893 »

how ya doing guys.. got a question about the above average build. looking to get around 350 horses atleast.. how much is that setup gonna run me from bone stock to finish including tune and best parts available. i have around 11 grand to put into a stock 240 and wanna know where its gonna get me? thank you and let me know pleasee
-vinny
moneymaker07893
Learners Permit

moneymaker07893 wrote:how ya doing guys.. got a question about the above average build. looking to get around 350 horses atleast.. how much is that setup gonna run me from bone stock to finish including tune and best parts available. i have around 11 grand to put into a stock 240 and wanna know where its gonna get me? thank you and let me know pleasee
-vinny
anyone please?
Mattk
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Mattk »

my suggestion to you would be to go on the homepage, click on "rides" look at all their setups, parts, ect. google that **** to find out prices on them, search the living hell out of this site for parts that you need for your build. hell, start in one forum and just go down the list, even if it doesn't look interesting, chances are, you'll learn something. just my two cents
moneymaker07893
Learners Permit

Mattk wrote:my suggestion to you would be to go on the homepage, click on "rides" look at all their setups, parts, ect. google that **** to find out prices on them, search the living hell out of this site for parts that you need for your build. hell, start in one forum and just go down the list, even if it doesn't look interesting, chances are, you'll learn something. just my two cents
thanks man. but any clue how far 11 grand will get me ?
Mattk
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Mattk »

haha 11 grand?
that'll get you more than 350 horses if you spend it right.
that'll cover forged internals, turbo, manifold, injectors, a bigger transmission, rear end, ect, and then still have money left over!

hell i wish i had 11 grand to dump into my motor, that'd buy everything "engine" wise that i need for my build :)
moneymaker07893
Learners Permit

Mattk wrote:haha 11 grand?
that'll cover forged internals, turbo, manifold, injectors, a bigger transmission, rear end, ect, and then still have money left over!

hell i wish i had 11 grand to dump into my motor, that'd buy everything "engine" wise that i need for my build :)
haha im only 17 so i dont know that much yet. still learning you know. im just not sure what to get and which brands to spend it wise lol
tom550

Post by tom550 »

moneymaker07893 wrote:
Mattk wrote:haha 11 grand?

haha im only 17 so i dont know that much yet. still learning you know. im just not sure what to get and which brands to spend it wise lol
:shock: im 17 and have $50 to my name.
moneymaker07893
Learners Permit

hahahaha gotta save up
tom550

Post by tom550 »

god i have. make 3k last year and 4k this year.
haha and worked my ass off. wow i made ****.
moneymaker07893
Learners Permit

tom550 wrote:god i have. make 3k last year and 4k this year.
haha and worked my ass off. wow i made ****.
hahah sounds like you need a better job
240driftguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by 240driftguy »

I'm going the cheap route because its my first turbo build and I don't really know what I'm doing. anyway no one talked about the hacked maf for getting more fuel I was thinking of doing this any thoughts?

http://www.ka24development.com/hacked_MAF.html
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

any chance we could add something like these to the original post. It would have been nice having links on how to calculate correct injector size for hp or having a turbo calculator for selecting the right turbo for the hp or to see what it is capable of

copied/paraphrased my original post

So I was trying to figure out what PSI I need to run to maximize the use of my injectors on my turbo and was having trouble coming up with the calculations. Then I ran across this nifty calculator that has a huge list of oem compressor maps built into it. Figured it would be a good reference for other people. Has garret, holset and several other turbo manufacturers listed.

Turbo Calculator
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/index.php

Fuel Injector Calculators
http://www.deatschwerks.com/catalog/fue ... lators.php
http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php4
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
rdeezy240sx
NooB

Post by rdeezy240sx »

iv been wanting to build my ka24de into a turbo ka but iv been told that the motor wont be reliable.my 240 is the only car i have so i want a reliable motor that i can drive yearround and have a little fun at the same time. so would the first setup or the second setup that is first mentioned be good forme. and also if you guys kno from personel experience how the ka will hold up with everday driving while its turboed.like i said iv been told they are very unreliable.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Whoever is telling you that the KA is unreliable is joking, or had a bad experience with oen. When done RIGHT (aka not pissing in your oil/etc) you can have a reliable turbo setup on your hands. Generally what causes a 240 to run like hell is a stupid sensor or something, but with enough info on our end we can help you diagnose it. But they can definitely take a beating. After all, it is a "truck motor", meaning that it was designed for heavier loadings/etc.

Just like this thread suggests, you'll want to do a compression test and other inspections to make sure that your motor is in good condition before you boost it. That, along with a good tuning solution, reliable wastegate, and a careful eye, you should be okay.

Chances are, if this is your first turbo set though, you're going to blow it up. It may be a few months or a few years, but the ringlands on the pistons will go eventually.

Having a DD when you're building a turboed car is really a good idea. There's nothing worse that having NO ride and having to look out at a car in the driveway that **** the bed because of the owner not being careful enough with tuning/timing/etc.

Do it right or go home! ...Or rather, get stuck there :P
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

There is that damn famous thread of SR vs KA and some many ignorant people saying KA's suck and blow up yada yada yada. If you put a turbo on a stock n/a motor and think you can push 10lbs with a safc and stock timing, your the idiot. All motors are susceptible to detonation. The only reason why SR's are "more reliable" is because people who swap them don't need to tune that much compared to a n/a motor i.e. KA. I get tired of this ish when people start talking and don't understand the basic fundamentals of tuning or even how a motor works. A fully built motor will blow as well if you detonate it. Simple concept, detonation = bye bye motor.

But you know what, I can't hate because these idiots make all of us on KA-T shine!
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
rdeezy240sx
NooB

Post by rdeezy240sx »

yea i admitt i dont know much about these motors yet iv only been able to drive my car for about 8 months since i rebuilt the car (when i got it). but thanks for letting me know. yea like i said i dont plan on drifting or drag racing with my car i just want a little more power to play around with its boring stock.i just put my AEM cold air intake on today i cant really tell the difference it made besides making my car louder. thats the first of the upgrades iv done to the motor so far. but thanks for the feedback i appreciate it.
Hutch
240sx Wannabe

Post by Hutch »

This is a really excellent post, i loved reading through it, whether it be in the U.S. Or the U.K. the questions are always the same.
How much will it cost to get my Motor to run ... so and so Whp. What parts can i get cheap that do the job.
Simples, cheap parts do not achieve the aim unless you are lucky enough to be in the trade and someone needs the money desperate.

Ebay Turbo's $200 etc are **** and should be left well alone, also the $500 turbo kits ....

I personally have a KA24DE in my Mini Van and i opted for the Greddy 240SX kit, I ended up only using the Fuel rail :roll:

I read alot of posts on here because i am still finding good information and some differences between the U.S. KA and the JDM Largo KA engine. For instance you run the dizzy of the front of your engines using the worm gear on the chain pulley where as mine is running off the rear.
The front covers on mine are different to yours, i had to chop the top cover in half and weld it to the U.S. Bottom half.

Our inlet manifold is a 4-1 branch manifold and yours is a single collector and drops down into the head.

So far i have completed the first mapping session and achieved a good result, I am looking at achieving 550+Whp on the next session.

My setup so far:-
Fully forged(Eagle,CP)
Headwork
BC Cams
Rc 750 Inj
Greddy Fuel Rail
Fuel Lab Reg
One off Exhaust Manifold
Garrett Gt 30-76R
Precision Turbo 46mm External Wastegate
3" exhaust Turbo Back
2.5" -3" FMIC
AEM Series2
AEM Water Meth
AEM IT Sensor
AEM 3.5 MAP
Greddy Boost control

And much much more, The down side to the above setup is it cost me $20K+
It is the only KA24DE-T Largo in the UK, possibly the world.

Please keep the good posts coming fella's you have been invalueble to me.

Cheers
Hutch
vladt3
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by vladt3 »

arp bolts are needed to support 400whps? about head and main
Hutch
240sx Wannabe

Post by Hutch »

Have ARP Head,Mains and rod bolts.

Hutch
prophet513
NooB

Post by prophet513 »

For the very mild setup do you really not need an intercooler?

I'm looking to get 180-200rwhp but I can't seem to find EXACTLY what I need. Feel free to PM me if you can help.
I'm a noob, my bad
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Ya.... Get an intercooler.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
prophet513
NooB

Post by prophet513 »

Okay well now I'm trying to find out what parts I will need, bare minimum to run a mild setup safely..

180rwhp or even 5psi would be good with me. This is my first turbo project so I don't know my way around everything.. I've never even owned a turbo'd car..

I know I will need:
turbo manifold
t25/28
bov (i have an offer on an s15 bov)
intercooler/piping (size?)
oil lines (details?)
fuel injectors (sr 370cc ?)
fuel pump (walbro 255)
boost guage (would probably add another like oil temp because I love the dual pillar pod look)

What things am I safe to go cheap with?
I feel like guages could be done cheap.
I've honestly heard nothing but GOOD things about ebay turbo parts from first hand users, all the nay sayers generally have no experience with them. One thing here I heard works well for cheap turbo setups is an intercooler..
I'm a noob, my bad
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Get a small intercool(eBay) there's a thread on oil lines hete somewhere, look it up. You will NEED a wideband, that can be your extra gauge. The wideband will tell you you air/fuel ratio wich is very important. Also u need something to tune with.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Also i think your right about the eBay thing. I mean somethings need to be reinforced, like the manifolds, but others are good. A turbo is a turbo, just don't abuse it, make sure you properly lube it and you will be ok. I don't believe all the b.s. about how eBay is so horrible. I mean they don't work good under extremes, but if you want a small setup then its fine.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;