Runnin thru the 6 with my idle woes

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
BrassketCase
Learners Permit

Runnin thru the 6 with my idle woes

Post by BrassketCase »

So I've since abandoned my fwd KA-T project and advanced to a 92 de hatch that ran healthy as the day is long----one of those rare old lady cars, you know? I manual swapped it last summer, and drove it from Denver to To the east coast and back with working AC, ran it through one drift event, no issues. A few months ago, I smelled fuel leaking from inside the car, and popped the hood. The two rubber lines, return and feed the connect the rail to those intermediate hardlines on the top of the intake manifold were leaking. Replaced the lines and got going. Suddenly, **** idle, one cylinders' less power. Lower injector seal on cyl 3. BUT. That was after removing throttle body and replacing TB gasket and TPS. So now it idles at 2k, and that was after running through setting the TPS voltage correctly. Previous to this, I had never so much as winked at the IACV, but tried adjusting the idle with it (TPS disconnected, start car, ***** with idle, stop motor, reconnect TPS and restart.). I find it hard to believe that the IACV would've taken a **** at the same time the injector seal blew.

To recap: Motor totally healthy previous to discovering fuel leak, no engine or intake mods whatsoever.

Removed TB and TPS, new gasket there, reset TPS to correct WOT and closed voltage.

Idles at 2K

Tried resetting idle with IACV screw with TPS unplugged

Only dropped 300 rpm.

Now seems to lack power throughout rev range....

Wat do?
"I found a turbo bearing in the oil pan. Is that bad?"---Mike Welch, Road Race Engineering
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Re: Runnin thru the 6 with my idle woes

Post by modulation »

When you replaced the injector seals did you lube the orings ?
Did it lack power before you messed with IACV? Is it possible while doing the orings you broke some vacuum tubing, pretty easy to do on a old car.

Wonder if IACV is stuck open or something. You could always try spraying starter fluid around parts and if idle goes up more there is your vacuum leak. I've never had much luck with that one though.
BrassketCase
Learners Permit

Re: Runnin thru the 6 with my idle woes

Post by BrassketCase »

Yeah lubed up both orings, and that fixed the rough idle. I've been wondering if I caused a vac leak somewhere anyways. I am planning on pulling off the whole intake mani to freshen up gaskets and do all new lines, so I guess I had that job coming anyway. I think you may be right, vac leak is probably what it is. I think the IACV is working fine, because on its own, it will raise and lower idle to different points between stopped and when it sees speed sensor input. However I have it the screw adjusted pretty much fully closed, so it doesn't kick up when it sees the power steering pump pressure signal. It did before I turned it down. I'll report back when I replace lines and such. Hopefully this will help anyone else that hits this issue. Thanks for the response!
"I found a turbo bearing in the oil pan. Is that bad?"---Mike Welch, Road Race Engineering