A TRUE race bearing for the KA FINALLY!!!

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

A TRUE race bearing for the KA FINALLY!!!

Post by duncan351 »

King Bearing has a tri metal race bearing finally. I spoke to King Bearing over a year ago and was told King Bearing was working on a race bearing but it was still in development at that time. I called recently and was made aware the race bearing was released and I ordered them. Just wanted others to know we have a real Tri metal race bearing available now.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
http://www.enginerebuild.net
"Anyone can make power but how long can you make it last?"
adamky
SuperMod

Re: A TRUE race bearing for the KA FINALLY!!!

Post by adamky »

Are we talking about both main and rod bearings? Mind sharing who you ordered them from? They haven't yet updated their website to list the KA bearings so I'm just looking for more info: http://kingracebearings.com/products-ov ... or-nissan/. Likewise, I couldn't find them listed on several vendor websites.

Thanks for the heads up! I had planned to use King bearings anyways. Just not sure if I should go with the Bi or tri metal.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Yes, Main and Rod bearings. I ordered mine thru Alamo Auto Sports and gave him to part numbers. I will try to find the part numbers for and post them but my part numbers are for standard size. I had to speak to the engineers to get the part numbers because they are so new.
adamky wrote:Are we talking about both main and rod bearings? Mind sharing who you ordered them from? They haven't yet updated their website to list the KA bearings so I'm just looking for more info: http://kingracebearings.com/products-ov ... or-nissan/. Likewise, I couldn't find them listed on several vendor websites.

Thanks for the heads up! I had planned to use King bearings anyways. Just not sure if I should go with the Bi or tri metal.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

So I've been using the good old Clevite 77's in every rebuild I do which varies from 250whp to 750whp. There honestly isn't a main reason I went with the Clevite's other than its proven itself time and time again for me personally. I have roughly 10,000 miles on my KA which has a good 750whp and I've been thinking about giving it a freshen up along with shooting for more power very soon.

I would of normally went with the same Clevite's again until I saw your post. I never really researched much about bearings and its properties until now. A quick search came up with this:
- tri-metal can handle a significantly higher load (up to 30% more)
- tri-metal holds up better in severe duty applications (endurance / marine usage)
- tri-metal is more "tolerant" of cranks w/ less than spot-on machine work

This is my "street car" that gets driven hard when driven and that can vary from 3-5 days a week. I'm curious of the advantages the Tri-Metal will give me or how forgiving it will be. If its in the same price range I may try a set out because these bearings sound like they're for me lol.

--- How often do you guys change bearings anyways? I'm guessing the Tri-Metals will need to be replaced sooner the the standard Bi-Metals?

Thanks for the info!!!
Project - Aries 8.8.1, Crower pro series rods, Kelford 272, 11mm head studs, Five0 2150cc, Magnafuel-4303, PTE6466

Daily - 95 stock block, ARP's, bigger ring gaps etc, 57Trim/63A/R, 550cc, z32 Maf, 93 octane /110 octane maps.

Follow me on Instagram @Prep_40oz
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

KA24DE Race Bearing Part Numbers:
Mains: MB5595XP
Rods: CR4065XP
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

Thanks for the part numbers. I see ka24e on the box itself. Im guessing the dual cam and single cam bearings are interchangeable by chance?
Project - Aries 8.8.1, Crower pro series rods, Kelford 272, 11mm head studs, Five0 2150cc, Magnafuel-4303, PTE6466

Daily - 95 stock block, ARP's, bigger ring gaps etc, 57Trim/63A/R, 550cc, z32 Maf, 93 octane /110 octane maps.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

i_slide wrote:Thanks for the part numbers.
x2
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
flip240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by flip240 »

Very nice, glad more companies are stepping to support this cherished engine of mine!
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
mechavore884
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mechavore884 »

i_slide wrote:Thanks for the part numbers. I see ka24e on the box itself. Im guessing the dual cam and single cam bearings are interchangeable by chance?
+1
HAM SANDWICH!!!!
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

So it turns out that this post just so happen to come up just in time because I spun a bearing literally yesterday after hitting a brick on the highway. (Go Figure) Oil pan wasn't smashed but it was dented and I guess the dent starved the pick up. This is my stock block KA-T so I'm just going to drop the pan and throw some bearings in. (It's a very very very very slight knock on cyl 3)

Anyways, what I wanted to add to this thread was that ACL bearings have the same part number for a SOHC and DOHC and the same goes for Clevite's. I would assume to say it's safe to say that the bearings are indeed interchangeable. I am going to order a set of these Kings bearings tomorrow, install them and keep on boosting!

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

i_slide wrote:So it turns out that this post just so happen to come up just in time because I spun a bearing literally yesterday after hitting a brick on the highway. (Go Figure) Oil pan wasn't smashed but it was dented and I guess the dent starved the pick up. This is my stock block KA-T so I'm just going to drop the pan and throw some bearings in. (It's a very very very very slight knock on cyl 3)
I'm far from an expert on bearings, but I have been reading through this document from King on tri-metal vs bi-metal bearings that Greaser posted in my build thread: http://kingbearings.com/files/Engine_Be ... erials.pdf
From what I understand, the tri-metal bearings are better for increases load (higher hp) builds. For your stock block motor, the bi-metal may be the better choice. I'm leaning toward the bi-metal for my build since I don't plan to go over ~450whp any time soon.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

What stuck out to me the most in that article was the Mixed Lubrication Test. As someone who recently spun a bearing, the test results of the bi-metal bearings look very promising. However, I spoke to my machinist today and he seemed to think the tri-metal would be the better choice.
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

adamky wrote:What stuck out to me the most in that article was the Mixed Lubrication Test. As someone who recently spun a bearing, the test results of the bi-metal bearings look very promising. However, I spoke to my machinist today and he seemed to think the tri-metal would be the better choice.
Wow, So I just read the same article you provided up above and you are right! If I only read that article, I would of thought a Bi-Metal bearing would of suited my needs on the stock block that spun the bearing. The article makes it seems that a crank which is less that perfect would benefit more with Bi-Metals because it states that it "conformability to misalignment greater than 0.0005 is very good to good but in the Tri-Metal's poor.

If I had not read the numerous articles online about the tri-metals indeed being more forgiving when installed on a less than perfect crank and then you verifying with words from your engine builder I would of gone with the bi-metal.

Thanks for the added info. I ordered the Kings Tri-Metal bearings today and will install. Unfortunately this car will be sold soon so I wouldn't have an update over 1000 miles I'm sure.

cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by cham »

I wonder how recent these came out? My builder used king bearings. He likes em.
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Over the years I have used Clevite, ACL, some coated bearings that AMS used to sell, and King bearings. I can tell you that the King Bearing is by far superior than all the rest of them. King bearing seems to be made of a harder material than the others. I have seen much less wear on the King bearing than others over the years and this is just using the bi metal.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

FYI, Real Street Performance carries these and they are a forum sponsor. I'll be ordering a set from them as soon as my machinist confirms that my new crank is good.
i_slide
240sx Wannabe

Post by i_slide »

adamky wrote:FYI, Real Street Performance carries these and they are a forum sponsor. I'll be ordering a set from them as soon as my machinist confirms that my new crank is good.
Wish I knew that earlier. I ordered rod bearings only from Alamo Autosports and they had it on shelf for $79 shipped. :(

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I just realized it myself yesterday. They were one of the links that popped up when I searched for those part numbers.
Guard1an86
NooB

Post by Guard1an86 »

soooo, are KA24E and KA24DE bearings the same ? I didn't see it answered and rather not chunk out some coin for something that wont work,

-Mike
s14fiend
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by s14fiend »

Damn that's awesome..... another bucket list item for my car.
TariqKa-t
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by TariqKa-t »

does anyone know where to get these bearings? Apparently King has them out of stock right now...
1995 S14 KA-T "Trucky"
11.2@136 mph
Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpxu7V ... subscriber
Guard1an86
NooB

Post by Guard1an86 »

Anyone know the difference between ka24E and DE bearings ?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I believe the bearings are the same for the E & DE, but don't quote me on that.
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

That is correct. DE & E bearings are the exact same.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Received my .25mm-over bearings from RSP a few days ago. Will be checking bearing clearances and installing tomorrow.