Ka24e MAF with turbo

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
kutworksinc
NooB

Ka24e MAF with turbo

Post by kutworksinc »

So the truck has been down for a few months, finally got all the turbo stuff done. Put it all back, took it for a test drive, little disappointed. Seemed sluggish, and then it started stumbling and acting like it had a huge vacuum leak. Went over it thoroughly, and the problem seems to disappear when the MAF is unplugged. I took it out, cleaned with the special MAF cleaner spray, reinstalled, same thing. Checked the positivery and ground, both are good. Signal wire has voltage, but I don't know what the normal range is supposed to be. Seemed a little off during idle. The range fluctuated, when it started stumbin and missing. Idle fluctuates between 1100-750. Maf unplugged, it's smooth, consistent, and a little rich(can definitly smell it). Im thinkings its a faulty maf, because of the voltage fluctuations and the fact it seems perfect when it's unplugged. Before I plop down a couple hundred on a replacement, are there any other suggestions that would cause the same symptoms? I figured I would ask the pros.

About the truck:

Walbro 255
T3/t4
5psi wastegate spring
10:1 FMU (I know, Im a despicable human and should be executed)
All new plugs and wires, 1 step colder plugs
Full tank of 93 octane
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Re: Ka24e MAF with turbo

Post by modulation »

I've always heard the ka24e and early (s13) ka24de mafs didn't like boost at all, as in they would quickly die. I would also think with a t3 you'd max it out.

Also with only a FMU and no wideband who knows what's going on. If you're going to stick with the FMU as least take out 4-5 degrees of timing.