Help Want to make around 270hp in my 93 240sx

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
fortywaps13
Learners Permit

Help Want to make around 270hp in my 93 240sx

Post by fortywaps13 »

Hello I'm currently starting my first ever build I wanna build the motor and put a nice turbo set up on my car. my goal is around 270hp for a weekend/daily what all would i need to reach this goal reliable and what would be the estimate price range

thanks from the noob on builds
fortywaps13
Learners Permit

Re: Help Want to make around 270hp in my 93 240sx

Post by fortywaps13 »

also I'll be starting with just block, piston,rings, head and oil pan all stock with accessories.
s14fiend
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by s14fiend »

fortywaps13 wrote:Hello I'm currently starting my first ever build I wanna build the motor and put a nice turbo set up on my car. my goal is around 270hp for a weekend/daily what all would i need to reach this goal reliable and what would be the estimate price range

thanks from the noob on builds
1. Reliable would be a fully built engine.... or a used engine with linear compression readings.

2. Most turbos above t28 can push you into the 270hp range, 60 Trim Garrett's .63 and .82 a/r are supposedly reliable also but will lag more and the outcome is higher power.

3. NGK Spark plugs 7 heat range.

4. A stock ECU with a Piggy Back like S-AFC II CAN support that rating........ but for maximum reliability and tuning a Standalone Recommended by your local "reliable" tuner.

5. Vlsd, good track/street tires, full suspension.
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

270hp is super easy to achieve, start searching the forum. There are a few companies that make kits, i would go with tomei if money allowed or ISR kit. Regardless i would go with a decent ecu to get a full tune on it. Z32 mafs, 550cc would be more than enough to get the goal you want
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
fortywaps13
Learners Permit

Post by fortywaps13 »

thanks guys so far imma be going with forged pistons and rings and machined head and bored over 5mm. then the turbo setup I go with
fortywaps13
Learners Permit

Post by fortywaps13 »

is the Nisotune or ethapanhy a better tune
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

fortywaps13 wrote:is the Nisotune or ethapanhy a better tune
If you go turbo don't skimp out on the ECU go standalone and get an expensive one like Haltech Elite AEM infinity or Pro EFI.

If you plan on having the car for less then a year or so and plan on selling it in the future and want to go for plug and play Enthalapy or a used AEM V2.... Nistune and other comparable systems that aren't like the newer standalone that are VE based tuning are more involved than Enthalapy and you will be researching more about how to tune on it and basically backpedaling (ask your local performance shop and ask to speak to the local tuner and what platform they tune on and recommend)..... AT your current goal and being that most younger people get these cars as the first car and end up moving on to other newer platforms I would recommend Enthalapy since your goals of 270hp aren't that high. If you plan to KEEP the car and you know for a fact you won't get bored of it and choose to make it a live long project I highly recommend go big and expensive on the ECU and get it fully tuned it will pay dividends in the future if you ever decide to upgrade further get a VE based tuning software like those that I stated earlier and then take a course or two if possible with HP Academy for tuning.

example: back in 2006-2007 I daily'd my car with an Automatic using Enthalapy stock cams, 555cc injectors, z32 Mafs, tial 38mm with 8-10psi spring and made like 276 to the Wheels on a garret 50 trim and 93 octane.... with a manual that would be even higher to the wheels which is still greater then your 270 HP goal which is ~245-255 wheel horsepower range. (HP= crank, WHP= dyno wheel horsepower).

Hypothetically, you could spray a 100 to 150 shot of nitrous and meet that goal of yours of 270 hp at the crank without complicating yourself with turbo kit. If your looking for a fast autocross car in responsiveness you should consider NOS instead cause turbos can get finicky. There are nitrous wideband controllers available that help you tune your nitrous kit.

Seeing your goals reminded of me this video.... this controller and a $500 or cheaper nitrous kit could be a quick and easy solution to your goal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxjLe0UyJzs Your looking at spending triple or more for a tiny HP goal, it just doesn't seem practical.
Last edited by s14fiend on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
fortywaps13
Learners Permit

Post by fortywaps13 »

do i need to order racing headers or just a turbo manifold
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

It's not as simple as bolting on a Manifold and Turbo and expecting it to work .... read my post.

To make any car perform optimally you NEED good tuning, that's First- and- Foremost. Before you buy anything buy the tuning software you will be using, everyone that starts out building their FIRST car start out wrong and do so backwards by building the motor first etc., the stock KA can support 350-400whp and even the stock long block record that was catastrophic failure cause by rod out the side of engine block made +500WHP.... in addition you can tune it on the stock internals and can meet and exceed your power goals from a used $500 ka and a used AEM V2 so for ~$2000 you can have a stock internal KA-T and be faster than people with more work and money in their engines. BY tuning the stock long block engine you also get a better baseline tune and reading to work from.

Even brand new stock vehicles that come off the dealer lot need tuning to optimize the factory performance to maximize the power output.
s14fiend wrote:
fortywaps13 wrote:is the Nisotune or ethapanhy a better tune
If you go turbo don't skimp out on the ECU go standalone and get an expensive one like Haltech Elite AEM infinity or Pro EFI.

If you plan on having the car for less then a year or so and plan on selling it in the future and want to go for plug and play Enthalapy or a used AEM V2.... Nistune and other comparable systems that aren't like the newer standalone that are VE based tuning are more involved than Enthalapy and you will be researching more about how to tune on it and basically backpedaling (ask your local performance shop and ask to speak to the local tuner and what platform they tune on and recommend)..... AT your current goal and being that most younger people get these cars as the first car and end up moving on to other newer platforms I would recommend Enthalapy since your goals of 270hp aren't that high. If you plan to KEEP the car and you know for a fact you won't get bored of it and choose to make it a life long project I highly recommend go big and expensive on the ECU and get it fully tuned it will pay dividends in the future if you ever decide to upgrade further get a VE based tuning software like those that I stated earlier and then take a course or two if possible with HP Academy for tuning.

OR keep it simple cause those goals aren't that difficult to attain (stock wrx sti power level of 270HP)

example: back in 2006-2007 I daily'd my car with an Automatic using Enthalapy stock cams, 555cc injectors, z32 Mafs, tial 38mm with 8-10psi spring and made like 276 to the Wheels on a garret 50 trim and 93 octane.... with a manual that would be even higher to the wheels which is still greater then your 270 HP goal which is ~245-255 wheel horsepower range. (HP= crank, WHP= dyno wheel horsepower).

Hypothetically, you could spray a 100 to 150 shot of nitrous and meet that goal of yours of 270 hp at the crank without complicating yourself with turbo kit. If your looking for a fast autocross car in responsiveness you should consider NOS instead cause turbos can get finicky. There are nitrous wideband controllers available that help you tune your nitrous kit.

Seeing your goals reminded of me this video.... this controller and a $500 or cheaper nitrous kit could be a quick and easy solution to your goal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxjLe0UyJzs Your looking at spending triple or more for a tiny HP goal, it just doesn't seem practical.
fortywaps13
Learners Permit

Post by fortywaps13 »

so what if I was to bore it over 5mm have the head machined and buy forged pistons and rods with arp main and head studs with a good tune and let's say 1000cc injectors what you think I'd put down then sorry for literally being a noob at this
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

fortywaps13 wrote:so what if I was to bore it over 5mm have the head machined and buy forged pistons and rods with arp main and head studs with a good tune and let's say 1000cc injectors what you think I'd put down then sorry for literally being a noob at this

Like ive said go search the forum, its alot more than pistons and rods with big injectors.

Pistons and rods simply make it more reliable. Power will be dependent on turbo setup and tuning.

If i were you and my goal was 300 or less, i would get a decent ecu like ecu master, aem, megasquirt with a ISR kit and 550cc injectors/aem fuel pump
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

fortywaps13 wrote:so what if I was to bore it over 5mm have the head machined and buy forged pistons and rods with arp main and head studs with a good tune and let's say 1000cc injectors what you think I'd put down then sorry for literally being a noob at this

You would put down ZERO. Zero because your not taking action to your first goal or commitment.

Stop asking open ended questions man, are you trolling?

Get Pen and Paper right your goal down and take action, read, and literally take notes on most if not all the threads, then take more action.

You said 270HP now stick to it..... stop buying other parts..... are you keeping this car for 3+ years? Are you selling the car?

None of those parts you add to your engine will work if you don't tune them to work optimally.... buy the ECU and Tune first using a spare completely stock KA for sale (which are plentiful), then build an engine on the side if you want to get serious with it.

Other than that your screwed, stop asking for help...... your not taking any initiative to help yourself, I have answered your question many times and many ways.

Most important part would be a Standalone computer and a stock ka then add parts little by little and tune it for each of those upgrades, you can drive a stock ka n/a with a standalone.

A reliable turbo daily 240sx with 1000cc injectors won't be remotely reliable without a good tune on a standlone ecu ..... get a reliable daily car then start modification on your "build."

:repost: :angry-cussingblack: :text-deletetopic: :twocents-02cents: :text-search:
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread