KA-T Fluids

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
js13240
NooB

KA-T Fluids

Post by js13240 »

I want to stay on the topic of fluids but as this is my first post here I feel like I should give a little background and context. I've had my 91 240sx Super Hicas Hatch since 2005 and have been lurking around here ever since. In 2006 I began to build the motor in prep for turbo, long story short, I never completely got it together but never lost hope either. I knew some day, when I had acquired the time, the money, and the knowledge to complete it the project would eventually get done. After several false starts its looking like I'm almost there. Since I've been doing research on this project for the last decade I realize there is a good possibility that things I once learned may be out of date. KA-T.org has done such a great job of providing up to date answers that in ten years this is the first time I've felt compelled to post something.

The one thing I could not find after searching many 240sx sites is a complete list of recommended fluids and capacities for those running the KA-T. Below I've listed all the fluids and the recommendations I've found based on my research. I would like to know if these are still considered the best options, if there are better options, or if I absolutely should not use something I've listed, really any feedback would be great. Also, if this specific info is already compiled somewhere I apologize for not searching well enough (I don't want to be that guy) and if not than maybe it will be a useful contribution to the site.

Transmission and Differential
Weight Standard Quantity Brand
75w90 GL-4 2.4l Amsoil Transmission
80w90 GL-5 1.5l Amsoil Differential
Non corrosive to yellow metals!

Oil
Weight Quantity Brand
0w40 4-7qts* Mobile-1
*OEM is roughly 4 quarts but with after market sumps and sr20 pans plus oil coolers capacity can reach in excess of 7 quarts

Coolant
Quantity Brand
7qts* Prestone Green 50/50 or Royal Purple Ice
*OEM is 7qts but upgraded radiators may require more

Power Steering Fluid
Quantity Type
1qts Dexron III ATF

Brake/Clutch Fluid
Quantity Brand
2qts* ATE Superblue
*This should be enough to flush and bleed both clutch and brakes with plenty left over, you can use one of the 2qts with cheaper dot 3 fluid for the clutch system and to flush the brakes before adding the ATE. Brake system holds well under 1qt but listed 2qts to cover flushing the whole system.

So again just looking for feedback here. I realize that different regions will likely have different oil recommendations (I'm in the midwest so we get as hot as we do cold), I haven't researched those but would like to add that sort of info and anything else KA-T fluid related for any others looking for it.

Thanks!