Hoping for some suggestions

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Piece
NooB

Hoping for some suggestions

Post by Piece »

Alright, so I've got a riced-out '95 Zenki with about 145k on it. I'm not sure of the exact number because it was manual swapped at 140,885 miles and there hasn't been a speed sensor hooked up to the cluster since then.

I'm not looking to make enormous power. 200HP would be fun enough, and seems realistic. My main goal is actually to get my feet wet with tuning, and also to apply turbo noises to my 240 because I miss my 1G DSM (except for the rod knock - ouch). If I can boost my car to a reliable 200HP, learn a little about tuning it, and get the wheeeeew pshpshpsh sounds, I'll consider it a success. If I can get more power, awesome. The worst possible result is a broken KA, which is no big deal.

My budget is fairly open-ended. I'd prefer to keep the project under two grand, but I'm not exactly living off Ramen. I'll do the wrenching, and (hopefully) the tuning, so my only costs are parts. I'd rather spend a little more where it counts than save a few bucks and get junk.

So really, I have two main questions. The first is about the engine: Considering its age and mileage, what should I put on my to-do list other than compression testing? Any sneaky seals that like to blow, screws that like to back out, or other gotchas I should address before I add a turbo? Timing chain guide? I realize a full overhaul is the best way to go, buuuut part of the reason I'm shooting for lowish power is to avoid pulling and cracking open the motor. I've read the various noob guides and such, but they seem to refer to either A) zero engine work, or B) a full build, with not much "preventative maintenance" in between.

The second question is about tuning: I'm fine with modifying the ECU, but I've been having trouble figuring out... everything else. Is there any specific well-regarded source for information on DIY tuning? I've been trying to absorb old forum posts and sketchy how-to guides, but they all seem to leave me with more questions than answers.

Oh yes, in case it's not obvious, I don't need/rely on this car. My daily is a B14 200SX which I love dearly. Downtime is no problem here.

Thanks!
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Re: Hoping for some suggestions

Post by tuzzio »

Do a compression and leak down test. If the results are good, remove the upper timing chain, and do the common turbo kit everyone does, t28, SR injectors, z32 maf, and call it a day. If you want to tune yourself, megasquirt is a good budget friendly option
KAzoom
NooB

Post by KAzoom »

How's it going? did you tune your car?
unicoder
NooB

Post by unicoder »

I did this easily! ISR Turbo Kit with RS Enthalpy tune. Only needed 3" exhaust, and Z32 Maf, with 370cc injectors.

Car definitely makes more than 200hp easy. Maybe 250ish. Mine is a 95 zenki with 150k miles
Pegasus
Learners Permit

Post by Pegasus »

200 isnt that hard but do able. as far as diy tuning with the oem ecu i have no idea lol. im curious to see what you do.