Oil pressure while cranking?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Oil pressure while cranking?

Post by modulation »

New rebuild ready to start tomorrow. Cranked over today but not for long maybe 20 seconds or so. But saw no oil pressure on gauge or no oil coming out from hose that goes to gauge (left it unhooked at first, but then hooked it up.)

Should oil pickup have O-Ring or Gasket or BOTH between it and the pump?

Oil is getting to the head because it's washing away the assembly lube and cams lobes have a coating on them. But 0 oil pressure while cranking with no plugs..

I know I have:
Oil Squiters
Gasket between pickup and Pump
New Pump, facing the right way (did not pack it with grease though).
O-Ring gasket thing between front cover and block.

Should I be able to see oil pressure if I crank for 20-30+ seconds a few times? Or should I just try to start it up and see what happens?
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Re: Oil pressure while cranking?

Post by modulation »

To answer my own questions I never could get oil pressure while cranking, but I saw oil in the head washing away assembly lube. Previously I tested galleys with compressed air while the engine was on a stand, and I could feel air come out the head by the 1st journals in both cams when I put it compressed air though the oil filter connections.

I said oh well and fired it up, took 1/2 second or 2 but built up oil pressure to 65+ psi or so at 2-3krpms. Ran it for 5 minutes 4-5 different times running the engine up to temp and oil pressure looked great. Did my first oil change and here's what I found, seems pretty typical first oil change so I assume everything is good.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.58.49 PM.png
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Glad to hear you got it up and running. That's good oil pressure, especially if you're running an oil cooler.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Same here never built oil enough pressure when cranking to turn the oil light off. A million years ago when I had the motor built we packed the oil pump with grease along with installing new bearings with assembly lube and that didn't help.

The pump must need 500rpm or so to outflow the bearings throughout the engine :eusa-think:
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022