Forum clean-up effort - possible forum add-on

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.

Should we adopt this add-on if it will work on our forums?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Yes
86%
No
No votes
We need more cowbell!
14%

Total votes: 14

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Forum clean-up effort - possible forum add-on

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Ok, I know Supa has been busy trying to consolidate all of the same/similar info into the same sub-forums. But every other n00b that joins the forums ends up asking a question that's already been posted.

I'm a part of rs25.com because of my Suby, and they have a neat little addon that helps with redundancy. As a person/n00b begins to type the TITLE of their thread, simulteanusly, it searches the WHOLE forum and presents it's findings in a small window below the title textbox with the keywords from YOUR title. I've found myself finding almost all of the answers I was looking for this way, instead of the actual search engine lol

I think this little add-on would help clean a lot of the clutter up on ka-t.org

What do you all think?
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

It's a neat idea, and I have seen it before.

The only drawback that I can think of is the additional server load from the entire forum being searched any time a thread is created. As long as we know the host/box can handle that additional CPU load I think it'd be good.

I don't want to sound like I am bashing but I know Matt / Nick aren't really active around here (when it comes to posting, of course) but I'm not sure of their involvement behind the scenes. There was talk about a "major forum change" last year that never came about.

I wish just one [1] active person could be appointed to the back-end, administrative duties of the .ORG. It'd be nice, and stuff like this would have been in place forever ago.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by signals13 »

Lets go for it, that will help alot :-)
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Sounds like a great idea, I haven't run across that before.

Also I have heard of other forums making the "Advanced" sections exclusive by locking those sections and requiring an invite/questionnaire before being able to post in that section. Everyone can still view the posts. Great way to keep newbies from mucking those sections up as well.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

As long as someone is available that could implement it and be willing to do so, it's a good idea.

New users who come here for "help" may be new to forums / general idea. If they get flamed for "SEARCH NOOB / ETC" we may lose potential long-term members and traffic in general.

I try to give an answer or at least a few links but remind them about the search function, somewhat sternly lol!
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I don't think we have that much traffic right now for this to bog down the server. So I say go for it. Worst case is it doesn't work and it can be removed, right?
I've not been on in quite some time, so I don't have a clue on what's been going on.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Good ideas actually, but hard to implement. We really couldn't do it with the current software we run, but it something to think about as we work on upgrading.

Apologies the new change hasn't happened yet, it is in the works.

For server load - were really getting up there lately. I have to keep buying more dedicated RAM for the server it seems every month but again, new software should help.

BTW who is Matt /Nick?

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Rick wrote:BTW who is Matt /Nick?
Haha WOW. I definitely meant Ryan and Rick. I don't know where that came from, lol.

I would love to be involved and help out any way that I can.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Thanks man.

And an FYI to all - you have to have 10 posts to post in advanced, and 5 for basic. That may be a start...

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

How bout we do 50 for advanced?

Also, I cannot wait for the new software. I just got done deleting more than 15 spam posts and one spam bot had more than 14 posts the other day.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

supakat wrote:How bout we do 50 for advanced?

Also, I cannot wait for the new software. I just got done deleting more than 15 spam posts and one spam bot had more than 14 posts the other day.
I know. It's painful to watch when I'm up late night and I see these start popping up and there's nothing I can do - especially knowing that there's really only one active moderator for the entire forum...
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

airman wrote:
supakat wrote:How bout we do 50 for advanced?

I know. It's painful to watch when I'm up late night and I see these start popping up and there's nothing I can do - especially knowing that there's really only one active moderator for the entire forum...
You should PM me if you're interested in being a moderator.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
bigdreams05
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by bigdreams05 »

+1 for more moderators. I can think of a few names of people always on here. I'm the perpetual troll always "just looking", but I think a couple of more mods would clean things up a lot. Then again, Supa may not want to let go of the power. Once you have it, you only want more, not less. LMAO!
240-kid
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 240-kid »

I'd sign up for a mod position.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

There is no power with modding. Only able to edit, delete, or lock threads. I am just happy we can delete the spam and lock retarded threads.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

supakat wrote:There is no power with modding. Only able to edit, delete, or lock threads. I am just happy we can delete the spam and lock retarded threads.
Exactly, that's really all we need as far as abilities go. It'd be nice if we could restrict IP ranges/countries from the forum though. Most likely the spam comes from China/other countries than the US/canada/surrounding areas.

Easy way to find out would be to record the spammers' IP addresses and plot where all they hail from.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

airman wrote:
supakat wrote:There is no power with modding. Only able to edit, delete, or lock threads. I am just happy we can delete the spam and lock retarded threads.
Exactly, that's really all we need as far as abilities go. It'd be nice if we could restrict IP ranges/countries from the forum though. Most likely the spam comes from China/other countries than the US/canada/surrounding areas.

Easy way to find out would be to record the spammers' IP addresses and plot where all they hail from.
Much harder to do than one would think, I wish I could just ban -india+china+taiwan but the range of IP's is ALL over the map.

Newer software will automatically check new registrations against an online forum spammer database for us. The newer software will also have Mods, Super-Mods, and Admins. We are lacking the Super-Mod spot right now and myself or Ryan or veilside180sx have the Admin spots.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Sweet deal.

Either way, we need more cowbell.
240-kid

Post by 240-kid »

What Security Features do we have During Sign up preventing Spam Bots?
YadPwns
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by YadPwns »

Definitely , this is good! 8)
95 S14 240SX KA-T

Godspeed 50 .63 A/R Trim T3/T4
Godspeed Cast Iron Manifold
Godspeed 38mm External Wastegate
Godspeed Type RS BOV
Agency Power Boost Controller
AEM Wideband UEGO
Isis KA24DE Intercooler Kit
Aeromotive 340LPH Fuel Pump
370cc Fuel Injectors
Efi Specialties Ecu (370cc , Stock MAF tune)
Megan Racing Motor and Transmission Mounts
eBay Fuel Pressure Regulator
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

I somehow find myself spending a great deal of time on this forum. A lot more so than the others I am also a member of. I trolled here for a great deal of time, then eventually became a member.

This forum is awesome. I hope it grows with quality members! The amount of comradery and knowledge here is great!
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

240-kid wrote:What Security Features do we have During Sign up preventing Spam Bots?
Right now I don't think anything other than email verification
240-kid

Post by 240-kid »

Hmm.
When's the new software suppose to be loaded?
What kind of features does that one hold.

We have about 3 forms to keep spam bots out on the forum I run/admin for (240SXForums)
We also have a one touch ban and clean features for members under 30days. If they are spam bots you hit one button and it deletes all there posts and bans both the S/N and IP.

I'd be down to mod here if help is needed.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Those are all great inputs guys. And I'm with a lot of you on the fact that I come to this site 1ST when it comes to my 240 research. I am quite pumped to see the new layout though, the current one is getting a little stale ;)
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Re: Forum clean-up effort - possible forum add-on

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Necro bump for the mods. Can we please have this feature added to KA-T.org???
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I will point this out to rick. Cross your fingers
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

is this still in the works?
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I pmd rick about it on sept 10th and he said he likes the idea and he will work on it. He's probably pretty busy, but I'll try to see what's up
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

This might be kicking a dead horse, but if you want a forum to function properly, you need lots of moderators, and they need to do the following

SPAM
1) delete spammers, ban them too

Same old questions
1) Link the person to the correct spot on the forum where the answer is
2) Delete the entire post they placed with the question
3)tell them not to ask the same question again as it gets asked... EVERY SINGLE DAY

why so harsh you ask? whenever someone asks a question, it clogs up the search engine with more keywords, making the search engine useless, and harder to find the good content.

Archive of good content.
1) moderators should compile an index thread much like NICO club does.

Have the search engine not default peoples build threads or general discussion

Do all of this and the search engine should produce minimal, but good quality results,