what do you do for funds?

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!

what do you do for funds?

Post by theguywithaplan »

I work about 20 hours a week and I get paid about 150 a week. I find that I'm limited by what I can do merely by funds. How is that possible? I have 0 bills or obligations except a bit of food money. How is it that I can't put together a Ka-T as quickly or as well as some people who have a family and bills to pay? Dafuq? Are people making like 2 grand a week or something?
Silviadream87
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Silviadream87 »

Parts are expensive. Plus most of us are married and have 2 incomes not just one. So saving money is easier. My build is as slow as yours and i have 2 incomes in my house but the other half gets to spend more then me. But its better this way because it keeps them happy and i don't have to worry lol.
Always make sure the juice is worth the squeeze!!

91 240sx turbo-first rwd and loving it
mmmS13

Post by mmmS13 »

I took a year off of college to work full time to get my car turbo'd. But I dont have a family to take care of and the only bill I had was an internet bill.
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!

mmmS13 wrote:I took a year off of college to work full time to get my car turbo'd. But I dont have a family to take care of and the only bill I had was an internet bill.

wish I could do that but I'd have student loans to pay off and that would eat up all my money
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

It depends on what you can do. Life is a hustle and you have to go get it. I have a wife, 2 kids. My 9-5 salary goes to bills, food, mortgage, car note, etc. I make money on the side doing computer jobs or sell stuff on eBay to fund my toy. Some months are good and some are slow. You just have to find your niche.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

My only income is my GI Bill. And I have a 4 year old son. I have a cheap house and no debt, and I spend maybe 1k on my car per year. All the turbo stuff I have I started to collect about 6 years ago.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
yvang07
Learners Permit

Post by yvang07 »

I work full time and saving is a little harder since I pay out over half of that out to bills but I've had the car since 09' and have almost all the things on my build list bought. It just sucks seeing 3k+ worth of parts sitting in my room not going anywhere fast. Whatever is left after bills either goes to food or fuel for my truck that averages 13mpg on the highway :'(, It's a trade off I pay for to insure I don't get stuck during MN winters.

The car has come a long a ways from when it was bone stock but I must admit it wasn't cheap getting there.
En Garde!
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I flip burgers until I finish paramedic school
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!

shift_down wrote:I flip burgers until I finish paramedic school
\

How do you afford to make anything happen to your car in a decent amount of time? I make 9.40 an hour which comes out to just over 7 bucks after all taxes are accounted for. And yet I keep running out of money and having to wait on the next paycheck before anything else happens.
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

all I can say is that you need to try and budget your money a bit more..unless you eat a **** load. haha jk. but a lot of us has taken time to build what we have. I have 2 years in my car. Like supakat, I do jobs from my shop (mechanic/body work) and I have no kids or ignorant gf's to have to please all the time.
My main thing is my car, shes everything to me since my whore of an ex left, so anything i make on the side goes straight to my car.
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!

500hpKA240sx wrote:all I can say is that you need to try and budget your money a bit more..unless you eat a **** load. haha jk. but a lot of us has taken time to build what we have. I have 2 years in my car. Like supakat, I do jobs from my shop (mechanic/body work) and I have no kids or ignorant gf's to have to please all the time.
My main thing is my car, shes everything to me since my whore of an ex left, so anything i make on the side goes straight to my car.
I can't really budget any better. My paycheck of 600 a month goes straight to my car with about 60 taken out a month for food and stuff.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I make 10$ an hour, no gf or kids. I eat at work and take food from home. I turn the heater/ac on only at night so I can sleep comfortably. I NEVER eat out. Ramen noodles and oatmeal are mostly what I eat. So I have about 100$ per month to spend on my car.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

500hpKA240sx wrote:and I have no kids or ignorant gf's to have to please all the time.
This is exactly how I feel about women/last ex
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

E4 in the airforce, Driving home to see the lady takes alot of my time and money. But I just paid off the 240 so I should have some more $ laying around. Too bad shes wanting me to buy her a ring lol.
I eat out more than I should. I really need to satart cooking more. Hard to do for a single guy though.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

I worked 2 months straight. Oil/Gas/Water well industry. If you can put out, its the industry for you. I hear North Dakota is booming.

When I'm not working I have a $5000/mo salary. But my bonus plus all expenses paid when I am working last month was like $14,000 approx.

...I seriously have no life, and when I come home, too tired to do anything on my car. I totally understand why executives and wealthy individuals pay others to do the work for them. I simply get exhausted when I come home to do what I enjoy.

So tempted to liquidate my 5 vehicles and get a used R35.

I'm not 'baller' as I still owe a mortgage on the house.
souljaseth33
240sx Wannabe

Post by souljaseth33 »

I make $15 an hour working for a solar company in thier warehouse. I do not have a lot in bills (+-$700 month), but I do have a lot of toys. My 240, Harley, and dirtbike. All of which are projects. That and a gf who loves to spend my money, and save hers haha. I have been working on my car the past 2 years and it's the closest to being on the road now more than ever. Just need to bring it to have a downpipe made and I should be good to go!

It gets tough at times, but as long as I have a place to store my car, I dont care how long it sits. As long as it's safe lol
Hebrew Hammer - The baddest Heeb this side of Tel Aviv

www.slideny.com

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack »

AFKOUKI wrote: Too bad shes wanting me to buy her a ring lol.
Don't give in :wink: [Mine is also pestering me about it]
theguywithaplan wrote:I work about 20 hours a week
I think I found your problem...

Get more hours, or better yet, a different job.

Priorities, man.
89 240SX Coupe
02 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L 4x4
03 Kawasaki 636 ZX-6R
77 Honda Trail 70 140cc swap
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

FlatBlack wrote:
AFKOUKI wrote: Too bad shes wanting me to buy her a ring lol.
Don't give in :wink: [Mine is also pestering me about it]
theguywithaplan wrote:I work about 20 hours a week
I think I found your problem...

Get more hours, or better yet, a different job.

Priorities, man.
DO BOTH! Work more.

CREATE WORK. I've said it several times on this forum. If you can't figure out how to make a couple hundred dollars a week in America, you're not trying very hard. You may think you are, but you aren't.

20 hours a week of work and no obligations means you've got 60 hours a week of free time that you could put to use. Let me advise you and inspire, ok? Whatever preconceived ideas you have about what is possible should be wiped clean. Tons of ordinary people without degrees pull off great incomes all the time, and it only takes positivity, creativity, and HARD ***** WORK. THAT MEANS DOING A LOT OF THE THINKING, PLANNING, WORKING, ETC.

1) Buy low, sell high. Save up just enough money to buy something cheap off of craigslist. Tire-kick it, whatever it is. that means talk the seller down a bit more. BUY THE ITEM. Next step is optional --- make improvements to ITEM. Clean it, polish it, fix it, whatever it is that is reasonable to cost you very little, except your time (which you have a lot of, and should SPEND YOUR TIME MAKING MONEY, like polishing stuff) --- so now that this item is ready to sell high. You relist it on tons of craigslist areas, or ebay, or whatever you think will work out for you. Put time in on finding out how to be a successfull seller of things. Anwyay.... You can do this with TVs, Tools, Cars, etc. Cars are the best. You buy a beater, change the oil, plugs, wires, fix the broken wiper, clean it nicely, fix the tiny cheap issues, and then sell it for way more than you paid. --- To save money on this, don't register the car. Take the signed title from the seller, prep the car out, then resell it. FLIPPED! Cash money.

2) FIND WORK. Get a lawnmower, a sponge, some soap, a paintbrush. MAKE AN EFFORT AT THINGS IN LIFE! Go to all of your neighbors, and beyond. Offer to mow their lawn and haul the trimmings. Offer flat rates so it is obvious. DO this in the spring/summer when people will need it mowed at least once every two weeks. Offer to wash their windows. Offer to do stuff. Just keep knocking and explain that you're working hard to make money. PEOPLE WILL PAY YOU TO DO THINGS SO THEY CAN SIT ON THEIR ASS. IF YOU KEEP TRYING, YOU WILL MAKE WAY MORE THAN YOU DO NOW. What cost? YOUR TIME AND ENERGY. You've got the time. Your energy is there because you eat every day to stay alive anyway. YOU CAN DO THIS STUFF.

3) FIND MONEY. People leave money all over the place in the US. People are too lazy to pick up quarters and dimes. That is money. People will even throw money at you for appearing useless/homeless/disabled/. I'm not saying go do that, but it makes money for lots of people. You can find money very easily. You can hunt recyclables from areas where slobby people throw them on the street/bushes. Here in SF, there are chinese elderly people that do it all day. And, guess where they get their big jackpots? Right out of the recyclable 'cans' that people put out once a week. They come by at the right time, bright and early, take people's recyclables, then go to the recycler themselves and make bank.

4) Improve yourself. Dress better, but not more expensively. Clean yourself better and try to appear in a way that most people will accept you as normal. Face piercings and funky hair is great if you've got that working for you in life, but if you're trying to get strangers to pay you for things, you want people to not judge you. People are judgemental and no utopian fantasy will fix reality in our lifetimes. Show up early. Show up earlier than early. Do a better job than you thought you should. When a job is done, or you think it is, realize you don't need to browse reddit again and that you could spend 10 more minutes of your life making your effort/job/task look even better. How? You mowed a lawn. Now pick some weeds as a kindness. Scoop the dog turd up, too. FOR FREE. Do this because you will improve what you are and your threshold of what you perceive is 'good enough'. It isn't good enough. That's why you're not making money like you want. It takes TONS of effort and selfless acts for the very small notice that you will ultimately receive.. But this is how you level up. Its a grind much harder than those MMORPGS that you're wasting your life on. You spend 1000 hours going an extra mile for a 1% increase in your income --- BUT SO WHAT?!?! WTF else were you going to do with your time? Check out girls and read stupid memes? Come on man. YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE AWESOME EVEN IF YOU DON'T GET PAID!

Just when you thought you were doing something very well, know deep down inside that it could *STILL* be better. And don't hate yourself, but always reflect and spend downtime considering your choices and their outcomes, and then how other small details could have improved it. REFLECTION IS KEY TO IMPROVEMENT AND SUCCESS.

5) Quit doubting life. I am living proof that rejecting what was handed me, and hard work and focus, will get me what I wanted all along. When people say life is what you make of it, they really mean that. And if you are willing to 'accept' life and its 'limits', then you've given up the ability to make your life how you want it to be. DO NOT DOUBT LIFE. YOU WILL WIN IF YOU WANT TO. This is real, not just some pep talk. Winners don't win because they believed they could --- winners win because everyone else was nervous, worried, doubtful, lacking confidence, etc. When you believe you can, and others don't, you stand out as the only guy that at least appears capable of success. And then you will hold yourself to it, focus, sleep less, work hard, and you WILL DO IT!

------------

This is real talk, not just some motivational concept. Make money and improve your situation. It will take years to make the big changes flow into your hands, but the money for a turbo setup can come much faster with the first couple steps I spelled out.

I don't even own a 240. Most of the time I've given this site my 4900+ posts, I didn't own one. The dozens of people I've personally mentored over the phone to learn tuning (very hard to learn on your own, which I did), they got that because I love to improve myself. Every time I come on here, I want to learn and reiterate what I already think I remember. I have to write new posts and rethink older ideas, and this keeps me sharper than I was yesterday -- I often get better ideas simply by reading and posting on topics I've discussed many many times.

Nobody can stop you from success. They can only give you bad advice and you could take it. They could tell you what you can't do and you could believe that and then never do it. Paralyzed people could still run hedge funds. Think about that while you notice the many physically crippled people withering away at home on painkillers and disability payments, watching life go by like a chicken in a mass-farm. They could be composing the dopest dubstep track right now, writing an amazing novel, or rotting away watching daytime brain-melt-o-vision. They could become the best at mathematics and physics with books and freely available information. The sad thing is that physical disability often imparts a mental inability to make progress. That's all just examples for inspiration in potential. And you're not even disabled (probably, I'm assuming here, so I apologize if I'm wrong and that offends).

I hope this post is worth it for you and for others. For me, it was another chance to see how well I can construe a message of how tangible and malleable reality is. To see if I can actually get someone to crack their shell open and own the world as I have.

Rockon
Cody
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

AFKOUKI wrote:E4 in the airforce, Driving home to see the lady takes alot of my time and money. But I just paid off the 240 so I should have some more $ laying around. Too bad shes wanting me to buy her a ring lol.
I eat out more than I should. I really need to satart cooking more. Hard to do for a single guy though.
I used to think that. Then I saw these awesome chinese postdocs at my lab. Talk about efficiency!

1) Buy really nice tupperware/foodcontainers. For repeated use, this will be a big winner for you. Everyone knows that shoddy equipment makes the user not use it. Bad skateboards, bad tools, bad bikes, bad tupperware, bad juicers, bad blenders -- etc etc. If it is cheapass, you won't like trying to save money while using annoying/crappy/hard-to-clean/spills-in-your-backpack/flimsy tupperware.

2) Make all of your meals for the week on Sunday evening. Pick a day. Sunday is a good one cuz you probably did less of other things that day.

3) Package them in the containers and put them in the fridge/freezer.

4) Eat them, and not out.

MONEY SAVED!
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

^ inspires me to mow lawns.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

nice outlook cody! inspire!

i go to work for monies. sales engineer for an electron beam welding company. its pretty fun, had my hands on parts on the moon right now, and parts 3 miles under oil rigs in the sea. all sorts of aerospace, medical, automotive, power generation stuffs, pretty sweet.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

sdaigle240 wrote: i go to work for monies. sales engineer for an electron beam welding company. its pretty fun, had my hands on parts on the moon right now, and parts 3 miles under oil rigs in the sea. all sorts of aerospace, medical, automotive, power generation stuffs, pretty sweet.
This is awesome.

I'll be a paramedic in a couple of months, and funds will be a little better. Better Funds = more car parts!

On a serious note, Cody really got me thinking about getting something else going on the side. I'm actually gathering a couple people up today to egt started on a side buisness.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack »

8-bit wrote:
4) Eat them, and not out.

MONEY SAVED!
This. I was blowing $30/week just on weekday lunches at work before I started bringing leftovers. That's at least $120/month for one meal, M-F :shock:

Especially if you're working on such a small budget, the fixed costs like food and other things should really be examined for efficiency [can you carpool? Ride your bike to work? etc]
89 240SX Coupe
02 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L 4x4
03 Kawasaki 636 ZX-6R
77 Honda Trail 70 140cc swap
Silviadream87

Post by Silviadream87 »

I just moved positions at my job. I am now going to be a forklift driver and start learning the warehouse side of things. Which this is just in time because they are configuring the production lines and going to 8 hr shifts and cutting hours. Now Im getting a dollar raise and ill still be on 12 hr shifts with no restrictions on hours. Just in the nic of time.
Always make sure the juice is worth the squeeze!!

91 240sx turbo-first rwd and loving it
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

It's amazing how much you can save by cutting out daily lunches or something similar to that.

At the moment I am making quite a bit of money and I am saving a lot. I plan on beginning another build early next year but I am saving as much as I can now to pay off debt and save for a big down payment on my first house.

Then the fun begins :twisted:
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

airman wrote:It's amazing how much you can save by cutting out daily lunches or something similar to that.

At the moment I am making quite a bit of money and I am saving a lot. I plan on beginning another build early next year but I am saving as much as I can now to pay off debt and save for a big down payment on my first house.

Then the fun begins :twisted:
What do you do?
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I'm an individual contractor working on contract for Electrolux Refrigeration as a Tooling Engineer. Most of us (ten of us for the country lol) are on contract and have been doing the same thing for years. I guess you'd say I'm responsible for reviewing parts/drawings and obtaining the custom-made machines to make those parts. (My home plant produces 10,000 refrigerators a day). So I travel to the plant where the machinery is being installed and supervise it/move it along. Basically coordinate / handle the purchasing and installation of big big machines.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Basically through HS: saved bills, worked ALL the time, took EVERY extra opportunity to work if I was available and bought used parts.

For example, there was a car meet that is huge and local that I hadn't missed going to since I had started going to them every year, but it was the same day I had been asked to help move some furniture out of a house. I missed the meet and added a check to my account.

All about hard work and finding the best/most cost effective way to do things. Patience and discipline play huge roles too. Building a car on a budget is all about collecting pieces and installing little by little. It takes time.
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
BoBaCk1
240sx Wannabe

Post by BoBaCk1 »

I'm a heavy line technician for Mazda . But really wishing I didn't make my hobby a job .
Built ka-t
Arias 8:8:1 .20 over
K1 rods
Arp head,main,rod studs
Kelford 272's,dual valve springs
Precision 6262sp .82a/r, peakboost manifold
Cxracing fmic
Fuel injector development 2000cc
Proefi pro128, e85 flex fuel
Rb25 flywheel, dxd 350z clutch
240sx-venezuela
240sx Wannabe

Post by 240sx-venezuela »

I´m a technician, I repair cellphones computers, software updates unlock, gps devices, everything that have a chip, almost hehe, thats what I do, but my hobby is to deal with cars, and i would like to make it a job.