is Tial the same company as turbo concepts?

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

is Tial the same company as turbo concepts?

Post by MasterOSkillio »

I was looking around at some tial wastegates and I saw one for sale, a guy wants $140 for a what he says is Tial turbo concepts wastegate, I don't see anything about that, I don't want to buy a knock off, is turbo concepts a real part of tial?

Does anyone know what the minimum psi spring in a tial would be ? I saw a .25 bar, but I think it has to be used in combination with something else, I was looking for the smallest amount of boost I could get and then use a boost controller to go from there.

Actually now that I am thinking of it, are there any other companies I should be looking at?
Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
gtrpryde
240sx Wannabe

Post by gtrpryde »

Never heard of that. Best idea would be to call Tial Sport and ask them.
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MasterOSkillio »

gtrpryde wrote:Never heard of that. Best idea would be to call Tial Sport and ask them.
After a lot of research I think that they were a spinoff company from tial, some worker left and started his own thing. Their products were similar enough that you could use springs from a tial in them, but it is not a Tial.

Also anyone know about the low psi spring? I sent an email to Tial and they never got back to me.

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
ashy-larry
240sx Wannabe

Post by ashy-larry »

They seem to be under the radar compared to tial, turbosmart, turbonetics, etc etc...but supposedly a tial person used similar tial engineering to achieve the same quality product.

You can find a nice used tial unit for $150 shipped as well as the other name brands,i'd suggest that as you are safe with those products.
erich
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by erich »

I've been running a Tial wastegate with the .25 bar spring for about five years.
I have a profec-b that I set the boost with, it's nice having three boost levels available. In the snow I leave the boost controller off and get ~4psi. The profec-b low boost is set for about 8 psi which is good in the rain and high boost is 14 psi.
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MasterOSkillio »

erich wrote:I've been running a Tial wastegate with the .25 bar spring for about five years.
I have a profec-b that I set the boost with, it's nice having three boost levels available. In the snow I leave the boost controller off and get ~4psi. The profec-b low boost is set for about 8 psi which is good in the rain and high boost is 14 psi.
Ok, I am glad that works, I had read somewhere that the .25 bar spring was for superchargers only. I think they were saying that the .25 spring would pop open prematurely and cause boost spikes if used with a turbo, but if you don't have that issue then I will go that way.

I really like the idea of your setup, I bought and HKS EVC 2 Boost Controller to do the same thing. It only has two settings (low and high) but if I turn it off I can have three like yours. Hopefully it will be trouble free, from what I understand HKS makes a quality product.

schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

The wastegate actuates a little slower when you have a weak spring and a boost controller set high. I ran a 4psi spring to start tuning with and its a good idea. I'd swap to a 7 or 10 psi spring if you dont need the 4 in there, but it will and does work.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MasterOSkillio »

schmauster920 wrote:The wastegate actuates a little slower when you have a weak spring and a boost controller set high. I ran a 4psi spring to start tuning with and its a good idea. I'd swap to a 7 or 10 psi spring if you dont need the 4 in there, but it will and does work.
What do you mean when you say it is a little slower? Like it will get to 6ish psi because is opens late? I am a little confused.

schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

I never had any creep issues at 4psi with a JGS manifold and 40mm wastegate open dump but that doesnt say a lot. The general rule is dont go over double the wastegate spring psi or response will suffer.

I can hear the wastegate crack open faster and harder when i go to 10psi on a 10psi spring vs just the 4psi spring and a controller.

Both worked fine but i think the spring cracking open faster would help with power/spool a little bit. Im just saying its better to get the right spring once you get settled at a comfortable psi, its not obvious if you haven't tried it.

I got a small yellow i think for 4psi, and a big yellow for 10. They can both go in there so i can get 4, 10 or 14psi with the 2 springs.. along with the boost controller it gives you a lot of options. The springs aren't too expensive.

Heres a list of the springs.. i got mine from there, they are big in the DSM world

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/tial.htm
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress