UNOH high performance school?

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
Tillis
Learners Permit

UNOH high performance school?

Post by Tillis »

Anyone ever heard of this place?
A University out of Northwestern Ohio that claims to have the best high performance program around. I've been debating going there for their High Performance Motorsports degree. Sort of worried about spending the money and time going to school and not being able to find a job at a performance shop or race team.
I've heard many horror stories of people spending loads of money at school and ending up at Autozone.

Looking for any feedback or advice from others to help make my decision.
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Let's get a basis. Where do you work now? Where is your 10 year aspiration heading?

As far as this place I know nothing positive or negative...and my most honest thoughts are kind of rude.
Tillis
Learners Permit

Post by Tillis »

I'd like to hear your opinions. I've been doing some asking around shops. They all seem to think its a big waste of money.
kevinac
NooB

Re: UNOH high performance school?

Post by kevinac »

I believe my opinion should be able to assist you since I am a graduate of UNOH(associate in applied science - auto/high performance/alt fuels). the school is great, class sizes never exceed 30 unlike other places where it can be as high ad 60, the equipment and campus is very modern, the instructors are not only knowledgeable but most always have cool projects they are working on. class time is split evenly between class room and actual shop time. the high performance building truly is amazing, when I began at UNOH I knew next to nothing about automobiles now only people who are more knowledgeable are techs with at least a decade in the field. with that being said if I was in your position I WOULD NOT GO. the school is located in one of the smallest towns I've ever seen with a stagnant economy. employers do not like to hire people who go to the school since they would rather hire a local person. the town honestly hates the school because some bad apples spoil the bunch. but if it wasn't for the school the town would not exist. now if you are an average person who needs loans for school you will literally sign your life away, almost all my friends that graduated are not living decent lives because of student loan debt and in debt for tools. the entry level pay in the automotive field cannot pay for those two and living costs in this economy where there is a surplus of techs with years of experience. since graduating I have switched careers and am currently unemployed even though I held 3 ase certifications before leaving automotive(needed to be employed for a year before being able to take more) it literally seems like nothing works these days in this economy.
smbonn2005
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by smbonn2005 »

I have graduated from UNOH as well with my Associates in Applied Science, but for Automotive Repair and High Performance Motorsports.

The school is honestly one of the best around for the field, and I had visited most of them before I decided where to go. Everything you work on is current vehicles you would see in any shop, all the tools are top of the line, including many OEM scanners so you can learn those as well. All the teachers have worked in the field at some point, many owning their own shops before teaching and have a lot of experience to hand down to you.

Honestly where the school is situated isn't that small of a town unless you grew up in a huge city (New York, Boston, etc.) When I first went out there I had a job to support me through college within 2 months. If you are actually motivated to get a job and show up to interviews presentable you will get one no problem.

When you are at the school you have a chance to participate in a whole bunch of clubs, including being able to pit crew a car on the Grand Am Rolex series if you work hard and a team likes you. I had many friends that after they graduated they were offered jobs from some of these teams as well. It all depends on what you wanna do and how hard of a worker you are. UNOH has graduates in pretty much every type of racing, from pit crews and techs, to drivers even.

I walked out of UNOH with my degree, 4 ASE certifications, my A/C certification, my UNOH Welding Certification, and was a finalist in the UNOH Troubleshooting Competition. Yes I graduated with loans (about 20K worth), but with working at the same time, I paid up front for about 15K of my tuition and all my tools are paid off. As soon as I graduated I got offers from shops to go work for them STARTING at $17/hr guaranteed 50hrs week plus benefits etc.

I have a fiancee and a little boy to take care of but I'm managing to make it by just fine after graduating from UNOH. I'm not sure where Kevin is getting that you can't live off of entry level pay, because I know I sure am and taking care of a full family at the same time.

Really it just boils down to how hard you want to work and if you are going to be motivated and push through all your classes and get every bit of info you can from them.
kacam24det
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by kacam24det »

This probably sounds rediculous and liuke a load of bullsh*t but one of my best friends growing up went there with a couple people from high school he works for catapillar now but that college is owned by his aunt
Cam