Moving to Austin TX

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
R34SR
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Moving to Austin TX

Post by R34SR »

Well guys im probably gonna take the plunge and move out to austin by end of year, im tired to NYC expenses, traffic, and the people here are just so hostile and unfriendly in general....13 years ive lived here and i think its time for a change. I became especially discouraged when i started to think of all the things i want to do but i cant, i would like to own a small boat and go fishing now and then, i cant because of space constrictions, i would like to own a house, nothing less than $450,000 here and its old garbage, id like to be able to drive to work in less than an hour ( i commute 15 miles to work everyday and its 1hr 5 mins ) and id like to live somewhere a bit more outdoorsy...lastly i love guns! and i have none because of where i live. I may have to take a pay cut by moving out there, but from what ive seen, the cost of living out there is ridiculously low compared to nyc, and ive heard nothing but good stuff about the texan folks. Austin was #2 safest places in the country by FBI this year and ive been told its the younger, hipper and funkier part of tx.

So if i do decide to move id love to meet up with any locals on here, and possibly get any advice before i take the plunge.

Thanks.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: Moving to Austin TX

Post by shift_down »

Hey good for you! I saw your post on the funds thread and was like wow! 32/hr as a surgical tech is good money, but then you said you lived in new York and it made sense. I feel the same way about moving also. I live in Oklahoma, people are friendly, it's big and open, it's cheap to live here, but I'm ready for a change. Good luck!!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

$32hr may sound nice to everyone....but when you factor in NYC expense...I honestly don't think you even qualify to be middle class....I can live like a king on $25 hr in Texas though considering there is no state tax there.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

$32hr may sound nice to everyone....but when you factor in NYC expense...I honestly don't think you even qualify to be middle class....I can live like a king on $25 hr in Texas though considering there is no state tax there.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Yep, so true. A NYC apartment of 1700$ a month will be like 700$ a month in Austin. I visited NYC for a week and all I ate was subway because it's always 5$ footlong lol. Prices are crazy
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
PeterLight
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PeterLight »

"Yep, so true. A NYC apartment of 1700$ a month will be like 700$ a month in Austin. I visited NYC for a week and all I ate was subway because it's always 5$ footlong lol. Prices are crazy"
As of today, is it still the case?
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Lots changed since writing that post, I ended up buying a house in Florida ...2 actually....and now I work in mega expensive California Bay area ....cost of living is way higher than NYC....but on my same job I can make $65 an HR out here...split rent with a buncha folks and funnel all my money back to FL.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25