3+ months clean and sober

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
adamky
SuperMod

3+ months clean and sober

Post by adamky »

:dance:

To make a long story short... I realized that I had been self-medicating with alcohol, pain meds, and weed for far too long and finally decided back in May that I needed to just be done with it all. I actually came very close to losing my job, and it is a really good job that I just can't afford to lose. Seeing how many days I had missed in the past year really shocked me and made me realize just how bad it had gotten, and how much worse it was going to get if I didn't make some major changes in my life. As scary as it was thinking that I was going to lose my job, I'm kind of glad it happened because it was the wake-up call that I needed.

I quit the pain meds and alcohol back in mid-May, and June 15th was the last day I smoked weed. The first month was pretty difficult, but it's been getting easier ever since. And boy has my life changed for the better! My only issues now are my addiction to ice cream and some sleep/insomnia issues. I just hope I can stick with it and don't fall back into the pattern I was in, which was at best a "holding pattern", and at worst, a slow decline.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Re: 3+ months clean and sober

Post by supakat »

That is good to hear. Congrats Adam! Yea, addiction to those items really suck. I can't say I was addicted to pain meds or ganja but beer was one thing. I use to buy an 18 pack once or twice a week and drink with my bro in laws. My wife would get mad because Thursday to Sunday I was out. I cut this out about 1.5 years ago. I still drink but not as often or excessively. The upside to it all is I save money by not spending that $20 a week or more. Glad to hear positive things. Keep it up.

Also, you may notice your dreams of a turbo C4 s14 come true!
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Bubba
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Bubba »

Congratulations Adam!
I personally have zero issues with people smoking weed but when I smoked it I was definitely my own problem. Zero motivation to do anything outside of cooking, eating, and taking weed naps.
Now I actually get up and attempt to get **** done, I'm more patient with people in general, and I can apply for waaaaay better jobs than last year. I'll probably end up offshore here soon and then come back to DUMP money into my cars.
My car is dead stock.... ish

http://mobileimports.freeforums.org
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

supakat wrote:That is good to hear. Congrats Adam! Yea, addiction to those items really suck. I can't say I was addicted to pain meds or ganja but beer was one thing. I use to buy an 18 pack once or twice a week and drink with my bro in laws. My wife would get mad because Thursday to Sunday I was out. I cut this out about 1.5 years ago. I still drink but not as often or excessively. The upside to it all is I save money by not spending that $20 a week or more. Glad to hear positive things. Keep it up.

Also, you may notice your dreams of a turbo C4 s14 come true!
Thank you sir. You'd probably choke on your lunch if you knew how much weed I was smoking before. I averaged an ounce every 3-4 weeks, by myself. And this wasn't no mexi-press brown weed either. A friend of mine grows indoor and it's some of the best stuff I've ever seen in my life. We're talking High Times Centerfold stuff here. So, needless to say, I'm saving a ton of money now! Easily $300+ a month.

I actually have a C4 kit, but I don't know if I'll ever use it. My car will always remain a streetcar first and foremost, and a C4 is more for a drag car with a high stall converter, trans brake, etc. I should probably put it up for sale on here. But,hopefuly, my dream of getting a house w/ garage so I can install all of my turbo setup will come true within the next year or two :cool:
Bubba wrote:Congratulations Adam!
I personally have zero issues with people smoking weed but when I smoked it I was definitely my own problem. Zero motivation to do anything outside of cooking, eating, and taking weed naps.
Now I actually get up and attempt to get **** done, I'm more patient with people in general, and I can apply for waaaaay better jobs than last year. I'll probably end up offshore here soon and then come back to DUMP money into my cars.
Thanks! And good for you for quitting when you realized it was a problem. It's hard to figure out you've got a problem when your mind is in a cloudy haze all the time. Everyone needs to decide for themselves what works best for them. If people can drink or smoke weed in moderation and it doesn't negatively affect their lives, then more power to them. For myself, I've come to the realization that moderation is not one of my strong attributes. I'm either "all in" or "all out". LOL. Sucks, but it is what it is. Keep on keeping on brother!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

Glad for you dude. A couple times a year I take off a month of drinking beer.... just to make sure I can quit if I wanted to.

I don't drink to get drunk anymore, but its expensive. And with our 2nd kid on the way. Cant afford it!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thank you sir. I'm about to hit 6 months in a few days. I've finally been able to save some money for the first time in quite a while. I'm hoping to be in my own house by this time next year. But I know that life loves to throw challenges at you, so if I don't do it by then, then so be it. All that I can do is stay clean abd keep saving.
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Congrats! I cut weed out of my life.....well when I fell off this forum as a regular years back. I made a lot of a changes and they are always hard, but most of the time they are well worth it. You're far from alone with an addictive personality. I hope all is well.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Hi Marcus. Good for you. Positive changes are always worth it. I actually ended up losing my last job several months ago and had to move back in with my parents for a while. As much as that sucks, being sober with lots of spare time on my hands has really given me time to rethink my career. I realized that I hated my last job. The only good thing about it was the money. Aside from that, it was soul-crushing and consumed my life.

I bought a 3D printer right before I was let go, and it's been one of the coolest gadgets that I've ever owned. I have been getting into designing my own parts for R/C stuff and that has led me to realize how much I enjoy designing and creating things from scratch.

I just passed 10 months of sobriety a few weeks ago. June 16th will be my one year anniversary date. I've had a lot of temptations lately, but I'm still keeping clean and really hope that I can make it to my one year anniversary (and then some). I'm not too worried about it though. Focusing on today and what's going on right now is all that matters. Hope all is well with you as well, my friend!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

June 16th marked one year. If you would have asked me if I could have done this 5 years ago, I would have laughed at you.
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Congrats brother. Great job
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thank you sir!