ball honing

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
jared94
Learners Permit

ball honing

Post by jared94 »

Hey guys, I have my stock dual cam apart to put in a new hg and put on a built head. I'm not doing anything to the bottom end, it's still assembled and sitting in my engine bay completely stock. The guy I have helping me build it suggests that since I'm leaving my bottom end stock, I should atleast ball hone my cylinder walls so my rings reseal. But he says to do it with it still fully assembled... I've never heard of anyone ball honing a assembled block before and I couldnt find any info on it. What do you guys think? Is this guy crazy? I originally planned to just leave my walls the way they are because they look fine and I had perfect compression before tear down. I appreciate any input. Also the engine is going turbo for drifting just to make that clear.
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Re: ball honing

Post by superDorifto »

Your friend is an idiot.

you need new rings if you want to get any benefit out of a rehone.

Also while the amount of material removed is practically zero, the balls are abrasive...what if one breaks. What about any abrasive that potential finds its way loose of the ball.

Lots of chances to have debris in the bore. Crank and rods need to come out, and everythign needs to be cleaned and oiled after honing.
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by neverlift »

I'd use the biggest wrench I have and 'accidentally' whack him in the balls and say oh it makes it bigger..

you should find a new friend before this guy jacks your engine up.

abrasives like that spit out a boat load of tiny particles that will not get caught by the filter and will probably end up aiding in your bearings failing.
jared94
Learners Permit

Post by jared94 »

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I thought. When he brought up the idea I looked at him like he was crazy and immediately started to try to find some info on it. He wont be working on anything of mine from now on.
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

...And of all things a ball hone!? Jesus, reminds me of a thread I saw a long time ago where a guy suggested to his friend that he port and polish his turbo Audi head by dumping sand into his intake. The sad part is that unlike you he didn't consult anyone and dumped sand in with his friend by his side...

"Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.

I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis."
"Build it, have fun with it, break it, and rebuild it." Brian Parker
"Shiny fittings are for ricers, race cars have zip ties and hose clamps." Barton Black
mewantkouki
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mewantkouki »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg
DZTireSlayer
Learners Permit

Post by DZTireSlayer »

No definitely don't do this. That doesn't even make sense. To take away material so your used rings will reseal? Lol it will have an opposite effect
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

I still think that is ****...nobody is that stupid.

How would he remember to breathe, or operate a belt?
trk240sx
240sx Wannabe

Post by trk240sx »

Old thread, I know, but I say way too much misinformation and had to comment.

It's actually called glaze breaking. If the cylinders are still with in spec,and boring and honing not necessary. The you break the glaze on the cylinders. Adding a crosshatch pattern, allowing the rigs to reseat. Almost no material is removed.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...