Boosting fine at 15 psi, but has BAD idle issue's....

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Boosting fine at 15 psi, but has BAD idle issue's....

Post by rn240sx »

Please read below to my LONGER post reply to get more detail on my problems..!!

It begins with HERE WE GO AGAIN...

Thanks
Robert
Last edited by rn240sx on Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
Jshade
Drifter in Training

Post by Jshade »

Cams. reset your base idle
95 S14 KA-T installed 6/19/05
13.49 @ 9psi 2.25 60ft/107mph trap
271 rwhp and 258 tq @ 9psi
nx95240
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by nx95240 »

that what i had to do is to reset the base idle..
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Ok, how do i do that..?? Is there a procedure..??

Thanks
Robert
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
Structure240sx
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by Structure240sx »

this happens to alot of guys. just let it coast down in gear til about 3-3.5k then throw it in neutral.

some say open bov does it, some say lightweight flywheels do it. when it happens just have the clutch pedal in restart the car and keep moving
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

I COMPLETLY understand what u gurs are saying. Some ka motors have this problem, some dont.
But what im trying to say is, when i had this SAME motor in my last S14, I did NOT have any of these problems at all !!!!!!!!!!

I get this SAME motor into this new S14 i bought and now these problems occur. Everything is hooked up identical to the way it was wired in my previous S14... Nothing has changed other than my fuel system upgrade...

Ive been dealing with this for well over a month now and im about fed up and over it..!!
I appreciate everyone that replies and try's to help out, but nothign seems to help..

I attempted to reset by base idle and it did not work..!! It actually would not let me finish..

1: I warmed up the motor
2: I shut it down
3: disconnected BOTH TPS harness' (obdII 98)
4: Cranked it back up, adjusted the timming back to 20 degree's
5: went to the idle screw NEXT to the fpr vacuum line and turned in clockwise to drop the idle down, once the idle got below 800 rpm, the motor started to jump around (no mis-fire) back and forth as if someone was inside playing with the gas pedal, after about 10 seconds, the motor will stall out. So i CANNOT get it down to 650 rpm. I left it up at 800 rpm where it remained steady.
6: shut the motor off again
7: started the motor back up, the timming was now at 23 degree's and the idle was at 800 rpm and the mis-fire started up again every couple of seconds. After 4-5 mis-fire's, the motor will start its jumpy idle again UNTIL i play with the gas pedal to smooth it out, then it stays fine.

Then it starts back up again moments later..

IM SO OVER THIS MOTOR ITS UN-REAL.. AND IM ABOUT READY TO SELL THIS CAR AS IS TO SOMEONE WHO CAN FIGURE OUT THIS PROBLEM..

I do apalogize for the caps above, but u have to understand AGAIN that i didnt have these problems b4...
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
YamaHonda240sx
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by YamaHonda240sx »

Im experiencing the same exact problem. I just got my motor in, under load its fine, but when you come to a stop, it idles smooth than just goes down, mine doesnt die but it idles very rough. I will be working the bugs out, but luckily you have a tach, my AFC isnt even reading...
KA24DE swap, 255 lph, 2.5' exhaust, stage 3/6 puck clutch, agx shocks/eibach springs
Ka-T coming soon........
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

YES, exactly, I can boost at 14 psi all the way to 4th gear and i have no problems, i can sit there at idle and rev it to 3000-6000 rpm and hold it there with zero problems.
YET, once i get down to idle, it starts acting up. Frankly im gettin tired of this and ready to give up..!!
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

I have tried everything that everyone has told me and NOTHING works.
Im not spending another minute on this motor

I GIVE UP..!!!

Thanks to all
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
xpgenez
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by xpgenez »

are you using an s-afc? my car had the exact same problem..so i asked around and someone on here told me to adjust the deceleration settings on the s-afc..my car does not stall anymore..so you should try it if you have an s-afc...heres a right up that they showed me on how to adjust it..

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads ... st67773668
SPULNKA
240sx Wannabe

Post by SPULNKA »

My car was doing the same exact thing and once I got the WBO2 hooked up and took it for a test drive my monitor indicated that I was going way too lean when I would let off of the gas pedal. I ended up checking the timing and that was my problem. Do you have a WB02 on your car? if so what are your A/F's on deceleration?

Ivan
Structure240sx
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by Structure240sx »

timing wont affect afr's

plus going lean coming off of the gas is how i beleive all fuel injected engines work. in gear with your foot off the gas the ecu cuts fuel and timing until 1500rpms. i believe its jsut to save gas. on decleration the wideband reads lean then just air and timing goes down to about zero give or take a few degrees
SPULNKA
240sx Wannabe

Post by SPULNKA »

My A/F's were going to 21:1 on the deceleration. After I fixed the timing the car was getting 19:1 with no stall issues. My memory on it is pretty vague but I was about 2 marks off on the pulley, so maybe it's since I was so far off from where I needed my timing that it made a difference. :?: This is just my experience from when this happened to my car but it might have to do with something else on yours, just some troubleshooting ideas. Thanks.

Ivan
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Yes, i just purchased this S-afc II and the only reason i purchased it was for that dec-air control which will stop the stalling when i shift to N from any gear.
But this afc II will not cure my other problem on why my motor starts to jump up and down when i cut OFF the ignition to have the turbo timer start the countdown..
And why my motor still has mis-fire's every couple of seconds.....

Its got to be something that only effects the idle on this motor and i cant find it..!!
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I traced mine back to a small boost leak right after the compressor outlet. Is your IACV connected to the pressure side of your intake? That will do it too. Rec. BOV? If not, try that. Cams are probably going to make the idle a little more rough. Thats all I can think of. My car idles better sinced I boosted it than it ever did before. I love it. Hope you find the problem(s). Good luck.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Here we go again..!!

I had this TURBO ka motor in my PREVIOUS S14 with the SAME IDENTICAL setup EXCEPT for the upgraded fuel system and new cams..
I never had ANY problems what so ever at all...!!!!!
NO IDLE ISSUE's, NO stalling, NO mis-fire's.. And this was with an OPEN bov, IACV was hooked to the pressure side and had no afc...

LATER down the road when i wrecked and totalled the car, i pulled this motor out and set it aside until the insurance company got everything settled and i was able to buy another S14. The motor sat in the garage for 5 months without a car. During its hibernation, i upgraded the fuel system along with the fuel management:
I went from jwt 370cc inj prog to a 555cc inj prog
370cc inj to 555cc inj
Stock maf to a Z32 maf
Apexi S-afc II ]
From stock 232 cams to Dual 248 cams

I then found and purchased my new S14 and began the ka swap. I removed the ka motor that came wth the car and dropped in MY ka-t motor along with the fuel system upgrades and the cams...
Yes we installed the cams in wrong the 1st 2 times, and eventually found the problem and fixed it.

Now my problems arise...
My idle is AS SMOOTH as can be when it DOES wana idle smooth. After a while it will start to mis-fire. After a couple of mis-fire's, a nice hard mis-fire will pass thru and completly KNOCK the idle OFF wack..!! Once this happens, the idle will jump up and down from 400-1000 rpm a few times before it will actually stall out due to the idle dropping too low....
I then have to play with the gas pedal to TRY and smooth it out, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. When It does work, it only smoothe's out temporarily until that next large mis-fire throws it out of wack again, then I am back to square one..!!
The next problem is while im driving down the road. I just cruising along, NOT boosting just driving normal, i get to a stop light and start to slow down. I press in the cutch, move the shifter to N, and the motor stalls out as the rpm's drop down below 1000 rpm... Now, sometimes i can blip the gas pedal to keep it alive and other times, that does not work. I went out this last weekend and the car stalled out about 17 times..!!! NO LIE..!!

Other than that, it holds 15 psi all the way to the top of 4th gear with no hesitation, no sputter...

All this works fine, yet my idle is all messed up... Its something mechanical or electrical that is causing this and i dont know where.

I have tried EVERYTHING that everyone has told me and nothing seems to work. I have not tried to recirculate the BOV cause the adaptor wont arrive till friday, but i doubt that is the problem...

I understand what u guys r saying and im not doubting u one bit. I appreciate the comments and suggestions, but u have to understand that i did NOT have any of these problems with the other S14...

I really want to get this problem fixed.... believe me, but yesterday i was fed up and pist off and i literally took my car keys and threw them against the wall and said "I GIVE UP...."
Its been well over a month now and i cant find the source or source's of the problems...

Please forgive me for the LONG story, i just thought id EXPLAIN the problems with MORE detail for the last time..

Thanks 2 all
Robert
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Okay, welcome to the world of Jim Wolf. This a code problem I believe. I experienced the exact same thing. One problem is that typically Jim Wolf's 50lbs injector program is too lean at idle causing random misfires. I don't know why they can't get it right but the only solid program they have is the 370cc program. Also, what heat range spark plugs are you running? If you're running 7s then this will cause a problem on stock ignition system. You can try opening the gap on the plugs first to try and find a happy medium. If you go to a 6 heat range then the idle will be better. The only real answer is to get an MSD box because I do recommend 7 heat range plugs personally. Another thing too, if the car already smells rich at idle and you ask how is the car running lean because it smells so rich this is possible due to the misfires as a result you aren't getting a good burn and so it will seem rich but in reality it may not.

Lets prioritize this stuff:
Are you currently running 7 heat range plugs? If yes, go to 6's. You'll tell a big difference in idle right there. I usually gap mine starting at .32 in first then work my way down as needed.

If you are already running 6 heat range then what is your gap? Try making it larger.

Another thing, try capping off you BOV since its open to atmosphere. See if you're idle improves.

If you're still having problems please call me there are more tests I just don't feel like typing all this stuff. Call me at 940-465-4440. I had to battle this exact same problem for a long time. It is a common problem with bigger injectors on our cars. Seems like more of a problem with the 50lbs program and the 72lbs though.

Duron
http://home.comcast.net/~duncan351
klattr1
Forum Moderator

hey

Post by klattr1 »

do you have any exhaust leaks towards the turbo or manifold?
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Why would leaks down by the turbo or manifold cause a mis-fire on idle..??
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
klattr1
Forum Moderator

hey

Post by klattr1 »

not sure for the technical reason but my idle would get funny every time my manifold to turbo gasket would blow. it changes the manifold pressure and the velocity of the exhaust.