SR down pipe on my ka-t

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
s14unimog
240sx Wannabe

SR down pipe on my ka-t

Post by s14unimog »

I have a T25 on my KA with an equal length SS manifold and my hopes were that if I buy an SR20 aftermarket down pipe, then maybe it will just bolt up... since that was not the case I had to do some "tweaking." But I finished and it works and sounds great. here are a few pictures.

I also finished off the rest of my exhaust with some SS 3" pipe and some steel to machine out a flange, that I bought from a local surplus metal yard (18 bucks or so). This replaced my 2.5" system I already had on the turbo.

Slide to side world wide
96 240sx SE KA-T (former)
209rwhp
242rwtq at 10psi

s13/14 SR20DET (current)
394rwhp @18psi
BillKlineVT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BillKlineVT »

all my stuff is bolt on SR exhaust stuff... weird how so many people have this fitment issue
1997 Silver Moss KA-T
GT2871R / Z32 MAF / 550cc Deatschwerks Injectors
BikiRom Daughterboard on a '95 ECU
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

it weird bill-like i never had issues my my sr greddy downpipe or my SSAC dump pipe but alot of people do-Heck Im NA right now with the stock manifold hooked up to the SR downpipe!
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Is this fitment problem due to an aftermarket turbo elbow????

Or are you using the stock turbo elbow??
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
s14unimog
240sx Wannabe

Post by s14unimog »

I've heard a lot of people using a stock SR down pipe on an NA ka but I heard it hangs low. I think mine would have almost fit if it were not for the flex section. And to answer the other question, yes I am using a stock SR dump pipe.
Slide to side world wide
209rwhp
242rwtq at 10psi

s13/14 SR20DET (current)
394rwhp @18psi
Bean
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Bean »

My downpipe at the 90 deg bend (close enough anyway) was hitting the underbody of the car. It was 'supposed' to line up perfect. I just took it to the exhaust shop and had them weld a 3" extension before the bend... now it fits perfect.

I also think even with a top-mount setup when making your own downpipe, that you should still use the SR downpipe (if its big enough of course) because all you have to do at that point is make a shorty downpipe to connect to it (o2 housing, whatever you want to call it)
1992 240sx base coupe
-lower mileage KA24DE swapped in
-GTIR T28 turbo on SSAC manifold
-STI 565cc injectors w/ Z32 MAF
-3" turboback
-ginormous FMIC and piping
-DSM BOV to open-atm (need to fix that!)
-RPS MAX clutch
-J30 LSD and J30 5-bolt axles
-PLMS daughterboard on modded ECU
-FOR SALE
Jesse
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jesse »

i just ran into this problem mounting my new exhuast setup today. have to add those 3 inches

i haev a greddy elbow with a ssac style downpipe with tranny mount
the earlier entry the better
ka-t 9psi t25
BillKlineVT

Post by BillKlineVT »

weird... either ssautochrome has changed their manifolds a little, or the downpipes have changed. I'm running SSAC t25 flanged mani (like the first one they made for the KA), megan racing 3" greddy copy o2 outlet, and megan racing 3" downpipe. Bolts right up to my test pipe and apex n1, also bolts to my hollow cat when I run that.

Guess I just got lucky?
1997 Silver Moss KA-T
GT2871R / Z32 MAF / 550cc Deatschwerks Injectors
BikiRom Daughterboard on a '95 ECU
nis240
240sx Wannabe

Post by nis240 »

I got a Meagan Downpipe with the flex section and i had to cut and rotate the flange that attaches to the exhaust and add another 1 inch section to the vertical part in order for the pipe not to rub on the body also.
Former KA24DET Owner :(

www.N-E-C-C.com Board of directors.
JDM RICE
240sx Wannabe

Post by JDM RICE »

BillKlineVT wrote:weird... either ssautochrome has changed their manifolds a little, or the downpipes have changed. I'm running SSAC t25 flanged mani (like the first one they made for the KA), megan racing 3" greddy copy o2 outlet, and megan racing 3" downpipe. Bolts right up to my test pipe and apex n1, also bolts to my hollow cat when I run that.

Guess I just got lucky?
damn, thats the main reason most people consider the setup because of the ease of bolting it together...

i wonder what happened...

is it an S13 thing maybe?
One of too many S14s :loco:
ispypsi

Post by ispypsi »

thats weird since u had that flex section you coulda just tweaked it some. i hear alot of people it hitting the floorboard where it connects to the firewall. i swapped my setup on my topmount setup from custom (hung too low once i lowered the car) to a short downpipe connected to the megan with flex piece then testpipe/catback. it sits a little higher than a normal SR setup since i cut it short to clear better.

i ran a greddy on my n/a KA for a while (97 exhaust manifold), but i had to twist it and it eventually cracked the greddy 3 bolt flange. its close but not quite.

also not sure how you attached it but im not using the tranny mount bracket and damper. connect the DP to the o2 elbow (or upper dp if top mount) first then see how it aligns under the car. i did that and it worked better but when i bolted it up to the exhaust first and tried to hold the whole exhaust up with my hand and align it, it was off looking.
nocoupeforyou
240sx Wannabe

Post by nocoupeforyou »

i got mine to fit, but under decel on the highway at 70+mph, i can hear it rubbing against the floorpan bad...
'91 240sx Hatch
'02 WRX
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Man this sucks. Part of the reason I wanted to do the T25 setup was cost along with the fact that everything just bolted right up. :cry:
smokey8611 wrote:it weird bill-like i never had issues my my sr greddy downpipe or my SSAC dump pipe but alot of people do-Heck Im NA right now with the stock manifold hooked up to the SR downpipe!
Hey, how large is this extension that you welded in there??? 2 inches??

Knowing this could save your fellow KA-Ters some trouble.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

see the thing is everything bolted up to my s14 with no problems

I used to have t-25 , ssac mani and greddy down pipe with ssac dump pipe-no problems at all.
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
s14unimog
240sx Wannabe

Post by s14unimog »

yeah that little extension was about 2 inches long. I don't know exactly why it didn't fit but I tried everything before I cut it and that was the only answer. If there was not a flex sextion it would have come very close tho. my manifold is not SSAC so that might add to the fitment issue. Also I'm not sure if you s13 guys would have this problem but this setup is definitely on an s14, haha. They're many way you can fix this, like a few have said, add a small pipe extension, cut and weld, spacers, etc... This was just the easiest for me since I have a welder readily available to me.
Slide to side world wide
209rwhp
242rwtq at 10psi

s13/14 SR20DET (current)
394rwhp @18psi
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

adamky wrote:Man this sucks. Part of the reason I wanted to do the T25 setup was cost along with the fact that everything just bolted right up. :cry:
smokey8611 wrote:it weird bill-like i never had issues my my sr greddy downpipe or my SSAC dump pipe but alot of people do-Heck Im NA right now with the stock manifold hooked up to the SR downpipe!
Hey, how large is this extension that you welded in there??? 2 inches??

Knowing this could save your fellow KA-Ters some trouble.

what do u mean by extension? I didnt have anything welded-just bolted everything up
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
s14unimog
240sx Wannabe

Post by s14unimog »

look at the down pipe picture at the top.
Slide to side world wide
209rwhp
242rwtq at 10psi

s13/14 SR20DET (current)
394rwhp @18psi
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

smokey8611 wrote:what do u mean by extension? I didnt have anything welded-just bolted everything up
Sorry, quoted the wrong person. That was directed toward S14unimog