Is 100 Octane race gas needed..??

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Is 100 Octane race gas needed..??

Post by rn240sx »

Im currently pushing 15 psi on my stock internal ka motor and im guesstimating about ~315 rwhp.
Its a Turbonetics T3/TO4B H3 stage 3 ex wheel with .48 a/r on both sides. I think it will start to loose its efficiency at up around ~20psi so that sort of eliminates the chance of detonation due to the turbo.

Im currently running 100 octane race gas cause i was pushing 10 psi b4 on 93 octane pump gas. I then upgraded the fuel system to support at least 350 rwhp. Now that im at 15 psi.. i dropped in 100 octane and have been using it since JUST to be SAFE...

DO i need to be running 100 octane for my ~315 rwhp stock internal motor or is the 93 octane pump gas sufficient for now...??
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

If it runs correctly now, then you may need to take some timing away if you do switch. If it starts knocking or pinging, take the timing back.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
klattr1
Forum Moderator

hey

Post by klattr1 »

im sure you are fine as long as your air fuel ratios are optimal. your timing in boost is prolly fine since you have JWT ecu.

15 psi is no problem. shoot, you could prolly go to 17 psi with your setup and still be fine with pump gas.
SHIFT_KA24DET
Forum Police!

Post by SHIFT_KA24DET »

17psi on stock internals? :shock:
- Adam
boostdesigns.com
Dreams of owning a 240!

GAS

Post by boostdesigns.com »

Stock at 17 PSI no problem we have 93 octane here and we have people doing 18-19 psi on stock gas again it all depends on the tuning. You haft to understand, alot is possible from these motors if you have the tuning correct this is the most important part on a turbo motor you can go cheap on everything else and go super on the fuel management and still make a beast of a car. FUEL MANAGEMENT GOOD TUNE 100%
Ratdat
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Ratdat »

Hope this isn't seen as a thread hijack, but I figured I ask here as it is relevant to this topic.

Firstly, how is octane rated there, is by Motor (MON), Research (RON) or is it an average of the two? The reason I ask is because the lowest grade pump gas here is 95 RON and best is 98 yet I see many people over there stating 92 or 93. I'm guessing it must be rated differently.

I figured the best thing I could get first before any turbo kit would be an AEM EMS as I can use it on my n/a KA and find my way around the system while I gather the turbo stuff together. Would you recommend this as a good way of supporting 17-18psi boost levels or it it overkill?
-Eddie
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

17psi on stock internals?

AH, yeah why not..??

As long as the motor is in good to excellent shape AND the air fuel ratio's and timming are monitored correctly and your not pushing close to ~400 rwhp, i dont see why 17 psi on stock internals is bad..

Hell, im pushing 15 right now and its prob about ~315 rwhp.. If i cranked it up to 17 psi, id prob be at about ~335ish. I dont see any problem with that.
I just wana get this afc tunned at 15 psi so that im getting the most power at this pressure level..
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by fiznat »

You might want to think about some kind of alcohol injection like methanol with water or something like that. Alcohol injection not only increases octane ratings to well over 100, but cools the intake charge dramatically. You're running on the ragged edge I think with that much boost, pump gas, and stock internals. A little bit of a cushion would be nice, wouldn't it?
klattr1
Forum Moderator

Post by klattr1 »

fiznat wrote:You might want to think about some kind of alcohol injection like methanol with water or something like that. Alcohol injection not only increases octane ratings to well over 100, but cools the intake charge dramatically. You're running on the ragged edge I think with that much boost, pump gas, and stock internals. A little bit of a cushion would be nice, wouldn't it?
maybe a built bottom end sitting on a cushion huh?
lol

for the dyno and track, he'll be fine at 17 psi with 110 octane.
i wouldnt drive it like that everyday though.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Well this much boost on stock internals...??

Apparently im NOT the only one out there pushing 325-350 rwhp on stock internals... And 99% of those guys are running this motor as a daily driver..!!

My car is not a daily driven car, it is only driven one night a week. And when it IS driven, im not hitting 15 psi at every street light...

I hardly ever see boost unless im up against a race. If there is no reason for me to hit 15 psi, why do it and waste the gas...?? I dont see anything wrong with hitting 15-17 psi whenever im racing ONLY...

My main concern is whether or not i NEED to run 100 octane at this level or if 93 octane is sufficient enough ( with my current setup )....
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40