How To: Convert from A/T to M/T

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
zads
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: How To: Convert from A/T to M/T

Post by zads »

NiSSanFreAk wrote:Now the torque specs are 100ftlbs for each bolt, but I didn’t have a torque wrench. So I just zapped them for a few seconds with the air impact wrench. MAKE SURE TO TORQUE THEM IN CRISS CROSS PATTERN. It is very important to torque them in criss cross pattern, you don’t need your flywheel warping on you, especially at 6k rpm’s.
[/size]
Didn't read any of the post, but this caught my eye scrolling down. This is a horrible idea. Decent 1/2" Impact wrenches hit with at least 350ft-lbs of torque.
HasNoTiresLeft
240sx Wannabe

Post by HasNoTiresLeft »

Hey Guys, glad i stumbled across this thread. I have all the necessary swap parts, except the driveshaft.

Now my question is. Could i use my auto s14 drive shaft? From what ive read here and there, there is a difference in length. Is it Shorter for the 5 Speed or Longer?

There is a driveshaft shop here , that can lengthen / shorten driveshafts as needed. Anyone heard of this being done without a lot of vibration?
My 97 KA-T aka My other wife.
orion
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by orion »

It's NOT only the length that's different.

The splines on the trans ouput shaft are different for auto and 5-speed...so you could have a shop weld up a new driveshaft for you, but you'd AT LEAST need the first ~4" of the 5-speed driveshaft as a beginning.

- Brian
HasNoTiresLeft
240sx Wannabe

Post by HasNoTiresLeft »

Ahh thanks.. guess i gotta go junkyard hoppin today.
HasNoTiresLeft
240sx Wannabe

Post by HasNoTiresLeft »

Aight starting the swap soon, so im looking at my tranny today... its been sittin up for a while

Can anyone tell me which sensor(i guess) this is, and if i need it or not.? The one with the Cut wire.

HasNoTiresLeft
240sx Wannabe

Post by HasNoTiresLeft »

Well. Swap Underway, Its looking like i wont need that sensor.
SleepyS-14
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by SleepyS-14 »

I trimmed the auto speed sensor down to fit and it works perfectly.
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems.

SOHC S-14...
HasNoTiresLeft
240sx Wannabe

Post by HasNoTiresLeft »

For whoever wanted to see where the master cyl and clutch bracket goes.

HasNoTiresLeft
240sx Wannabe

Post by HasNoTiresLeft »

Oh and the silver box is that Automatic Transmission Controller that you need to remove.
djmumbles
Learners Permit

Lower Harness

Post by djmumbles »

Ok i am nearly ready to dive in and do the tranny swap. I have all the parts collected. I have one question in mind. I was looking over my manual tranny and noticed the lower harness that is connected is shotty; it's covered in oil and some wires are frayed. I was hoping i could use the lower harness from my existing auto transmission ny ignoring a few connectors or do some minor wire mods. In short, Is it possible for me to use my existing auto lower harness rather than the one connected the doner manual transmission for the swap?

Thanks

Mike
joshds25
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

my turn!!

Post by joshds25 »

Do it
Last edited by joshds25 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiSSanFreAk
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by NiSSanFreAk »

lol a popular thread now haha
SHIFT_PSSHHT
slayton
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by slayton »

just so we're clear i got a 1990 SOHC and im doing the swap but these to wires u talk about the nuetral safty switch. I have 2 sets of 2 wires on that fuse box. also I had heard from another person that the nuetral switch was on the bottom of the column?? what colour are these wires so I don't cut the wrong ones?
slayton
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by slayton »

i got a few q's about the wiring i pulled the harnes off my stick to swap it and since the car it's off of was a junker and someone cut the main haresses what are the following wires for and what do they hook up to? white/ red , red/black, black with silver dots, yellow/ black, brown, and, yellow/ white and what exactly do the middle to sensors do i really hate wiring unless i designed it little help please
drift9
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by drift9 »

Very informative thread! I did my swap before any of these threads had been made. If any body has or could get some i recomend taking some pictures of the auto pilot bushing, flywheel , pressure plate installed and a shot of the wiring. that would make this thread perfect for anyone looking to do it. I would post some but at the time i was doing it i didnt have a camera. So if anybody has some or your in the middle of doing it please take a couple snap shots.
Temple240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Temple240 »

Jordan Gladman wrote:To add, you can replace the clutch hard line, damper box and solf line with a -3 stainless line from earls for about $20.
Does anyone have a part number on this line or know what fittings or length is needed?
DWoods87
NooB

Question

Post by DWoods87 »

I performed the 5 spd swap on my 95 se a cpl months back. The problem is, is the wiring. I do believe i cut the nuetral safety on the wrong side of the two wire plug. I only have two plugs on the side of my fuse box. I am assuming that, that was the correct plug. Anyways, so i cut that and i connected them, the wires are black/red and black/yellow. Nothing happened. I can see the black/yellow going into the fuse box then i dee it come back out into the factory alarm system. Anyone have any input or suggestions. I've read over all the how-to's and i cant find what i done wrong......
Any advice would be apppreciated...
joshds25
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Re: Question

Post by joshds25 »

DWoods87 wrote:I performed the 5 spd swap on my 95 se a cpl months back. The problem is, is the wiring. I do believe i cut the nuetral safety on the wrong side of the two wire plug. I only have two plugs on the side of my fuse box. I am assuming that, that was the correct plug. Anyways, so i cut that and i connected them, the wires are black/red and black/yellow. Nothing happened. I can see the black/yellow going into the fuse box then i dee it come back out into the factory alarm system. Anyone have any input or suggestions. I've read over all the how-to's and i cant find what i done wrong......
Any advice would be apppreciated...
I am not real sure on which wires you cut but the park/neutral switch is a 2 wire (2 pin) connector its should be on top of the other connectors behind the fuse box.
It is the only connector that is 2 wire (2 pin) behind the fuse box.
The colors are Green & Black - they are thick wires as well.
Here is a link to my sneak peek - about middle ways through it shows them jumpered (wired) together;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzRCIt99okU

Pix will help alot!

LMK if you need more help!
DWoods87
NooB

wiring

Post by DWoods87 »

ok i see how they are connected in the video, prob is my wires are already cut on the other side of that plug. If i twist those together it still wont start. from what i am understanding this is the only thing i need to do wiring wise to make the key start it.
joshds25
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Re: wiring

Post by joshds25 »

DWoods87 wrote:ok i see how they are connected in the video, prob is my wires are already cut on the other side of that plug. If i twist those together it still wont start. from what i am understanding this is the only thing i need to do wiring wise to make the key start it.
yes you can "twist" them together and not even have a connector anymore.
are you sure you have your starter connectors connected as well as your "charged" battery?
Dont forget to put the locking cable from the ignition switch our you will get your key stuck!

On the S14 you need to wire in the neutral switch on the tranny to the ECU and I recommend the 5th as well. You will need your reverse wired too.
On the S13 your good with just the park/neutral jumpered and reverse switch wired
DWoods87
NooB

Post by DWoods87 »

ok im going to say know to all that. A friend done this for me, and he just jumped the starter an put it to a button in the car.
So none of that is connected im sure.
were can i find a write up or video on the starter conectors, charged battery and locking cable. I found the nuetral switch an 5th to the ecu but nothin else
DWoods87
NooB

Post by DWoods87 »

key is stuck by the way
joshds25
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by joshds25 »

DWoods87 wrote:key is stuck by the way
lol - well not trying to make a sale here - but this is why I made it - check out my 5 Speed Swap DVD - my website is below.
DWoods87
NooB

Post by DWoods87 »

ill make a deal with ya.
ill purchase the dvd this week as long as you agree to offer me some tech support if needed lol
wouldnt mind to have it anyway..
joshds25
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by joshds25 »

DWoods87 wrote:ill make a deal with ya.
ill purchase the dvd this week as long as you agree to offer me some tech support if needed lol
wouldnt mind to have it anyway..
Deal - I give tech support to all my buyers - actully I even help people out that dont buy from me.
DWoods87
NooB

Post by DWoods87 »

awesome ill order a disc this week.
i appreciate it.