smoking (turbo?hg?burnt oil?)

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
chetacheeese
Learners Permit

smoking (turbo?hg?burnt oil?)

Post by chetacheeese »

ive got smoke coming out of my exhaust and im having difficulties trying to figure out what it is. this is the only thing left for my car to run like its supposed to. but i dont think its my af mixture because the exhaust smoke doesnt have an odd smell to it. its not the coolant, i changed my head gasket and i know what smoke looks like on a car with a blown headgasket. im thinking it may have something to do with the turbo except if done as much as i can to eliminate it. i switched from -4 lines to -3. still smoking. checked my drain and switched it around and routed it to drain better. but my main question here is, is my oil return line inconvenient for oil flow?

drove it somemore and before it warms up, it only smokes on idle or decel. after its warmed up, it would smoke all the time except decel and when in the midrange rpms of 2.5k-5k

picture....

no kinks but notice at the very bottom of my hose, it kind of dips slightly downward. now is this dip extreme enough to cause smoke to come out of my exhaust. i checked the intercooler piping and no signs of oil. someone help?! some condensation on the walls of the exhaust tip. sort of like when sweating occurs in a very humid environment.
Jordan Gladman
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jordan Gladman »

What turbo are you running? You might need a restrictor if you're getting too much oil pressure to the turbo..
chetacheeese
Learners Permit

Post by chetacheeese »

i have -3an lines for the oil feed. i just realized its blue smoke. does this mean its my turbo? i think i also may have a boost leak. i would hit about 5psi and while my foot is still on the throttle, it would drop back down to vacuum. is that a boost leak or something else?
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Could need a restrictor....

I noticed the return bung is a little low on the pan. Normally you want to put the bung up against the bottom of the pan-to-block flange. Then you weld it from inside the pan to seal it.

How high is your oil on your dipstick? might want to drain it to the L mark and see if it improves, this means your return in fully submerged in oil (no good).

EDIT:

from a previous post of his:

t25
cometic headgasket
fmic
enthalpy tune
n60 maf(about 10 inches from the turbo)
370cc injectors
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
chetacheeese
Learners Permit

Post by chetacheeese »

thats for reposting my set up poot. also, yea i did notice that the oil on the dipstick is high. so i drained it and its still high. what does this mean? so if i drain more till its low, will my car have sufficient oil?
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

trust the stick!
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
PuNcHdRuNk
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

there are only two possible reason why your oil level would be high, coolant in the oil from a possible bad head gasket or head, or excess unburnt fuel leaking down past your rings, does the oil look milky or smell of fuel? what color is your smoke? does it smell "sweet"?

if you want to see if your oil seals are bad in your turbo just pull the down pipe and look for traces of oil in the pipe,if there is oil your seals are bad.
chetacheeese
Learners Permit

oil

Post by chetacheeese »

oil looks good. no signs of coolant or oil. its not like my oil level has gotten higher. i just did an oil change and i put the exact amount that the car needs. and it seemed to be too much. so i drained about half a court and its still higher than the full line. im having trouble understanding the concept of having the return bung a few mm lower than i should have and how it would give me higher oil readings.
chetacheeese
Learners Permit

Post by chetacheeese »

UPDATE: doesnt smoke at idle. only after reving
PuNcHdRuNk

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

the placement of the return bung will not affect the reading on your stick at all,i think that the previous posters only refered to this in the context of your turbo not being able to freely return oil to the pan and thus creating excess pressure on your turbos oil seals.

what do your compression numbers look like on the motor?
chetacheeese
Learners Permit

Post by chetacheeese »

compression is good. all within 10psi of each other. no smoke at idle. but in low rpms it would smoke, and also when shifting gears. ive been told on zilvia that its the turbo.
RyanLS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by RyanLS14 »

Well you have stated that the exhaust doesn't smell sweet, doesn't appear to have excess fuel...so therefore it has to be the turbo, probably seals and therefore your not draining right or have too much pressure coming in to the turbo. I think this is the general concensus.
Just because I'm new to custom FI, doesn't mean I know nothing about cars.
chetacheeese
Learners Permit

Post by chetacheeese »

so i pulled my downpipe to check for oil coming out of the turbo. there is no signs of oil!!! is it still possible that my turbo has blown seals?

alpha_kenny_juan
NooB

Post by alpha_kenny_juan »

Doesn't look like oil contam in the exhaust to me.. I have the exact same problem with the dark bluish smoke, however I DO have an oil restrictor, my bung is at the TOP (very top) of my oil pan and the turbo has very very little movement if really any at all and is a good turbo (Turbonetics) and is in great shape. I don't think it is your turbo, I mean when a turbo blows the seals, it REALLY smokes and it painfully obvious what has happened and only gets worse and fast, and what you're talking about is just how mine is.

Head gasket, um.. no. Thats plain out thick white smoke smelling straight up like really sweet water and is easily obvious to anyone who's ever seen a headgasket go so rest assured your subject matter would've consisted of "thick white smoke smelling of cupcakes and water is coming out of the exhaust".

I just equated mine to my ecu being tuned for a T4, and now having a T3 on it it's running pig rich(REALLY pig rich) and my dump tube is just an open pipe that runs down under the exhaust into open air on top of that so um... I wasn't expecting my emissions to be squeeky clean and clear anyway with my setup. Hard to say what it is but I do agree, when it boosts it smokes some and when you let off, then you see the big cloud of dark grey/bluish smoke behind you. A turbo with its seals crapped out is much worse and you WOULD have oil and crap all in your downpipe from the turbo crapping it out. Plus anyone who's ever seen someone with crapped out turbo seals can attest, it gets real bad, REAL FAST and is obvious big time what is going on.

Then again, this may be the very beginning of a turbo replacement for the both of us. (unlikely though, especially if you have ever seen someone let the seals go out in a turbo without a restrictor or something.) It goes from small little cloud to BIG black/blue death cloud following car to consume it under even a little boost. Like I said, I equate mine to high miles on KA, running pig rich, straight open 2 1/2" exhaust and dumptube into open air in Pig Rich running high miles KA.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

chetacheeese wrote:compression is good. all within 10psi of each other. no smoke at idle. but in low rpms it would smoke, and also when shifting gears. ive been told on zilvia that its the turbo.
valve seals.....
lucieqa
NooB

Post by lucieqa »

How can one of my friends stop smoking cigarette? He knows that smoking is injurious to health, but says that he smokes only two cigarettes per day. The reason he gives is that smoking cigarette helps him to clear his bowels. If that is true, how can he stop smoking and clear his bowels by some other means?
Last edited by lucieqa on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

lucieqa wrote:How can one of my friends stop smoking cigarette? He knows that smoking is injurious to health, but says that he smokes only two cigarettes per day. The reason he gives is that smoking cigarette helps him to clear his bowels. If that is true, how can he stop smoking and clear his bowels by some other means?
wtf..?? you should be banned for this
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

This may be stupid but is your dipstick maybe hitting your bung and sitting on one side or the other maybe reading the deep end then next time reading the shallow end of the oil pan going on different sides i imagine would be crazy readings like you describe..
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com
basic
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by basic »

+1 for valve seals.

also - a blown HG does NOT always smell sweet, it depends on where the gasket blows. if it's between the cylinder and oil passage - no sweet smell, just blue smoke. Between the water and cylinder - sweet smell (and bubbly radiator). Between all three - water in oil and oil in water and smell.
'87 200SX Hatch - complete with KA24DE swap.
'91 240SX hatch complete with super rare sunroof insert and bag.
chubbza5 wrote:Well hey, truck engine + truck turbo, why not!
driftedoffroad
240sx Wannabe

Post by driftedoffroad »

How is your pcv setup? If its blocked for some reason it will smoke just weird that its not all the time. Also that oil drain is a little sketchy