Was about to final start car then... Nissan Pro's chime in

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Was about to final start car then... Nissan Pro's chime in

Post by 240tuned91 »

Ok today i was buttoning everything up.just put in my rebuilt motor with a fresh cometic gasket torqued to 65 using the fsm patterns. Also a new Intake manifold gasket. When i was pouring in my new antifreeze i noticed a small drip coming from the side of the head by the water passage on the intake manifold. because its hard to see the coolant was also running down from where the head meets the block. So i am trying to think postive. welll the intake is connected to the head so obviously its leaking from the intake manifold gasket down to the head and down the block.. to the ground. I mean i didnt even start the motor yet is there any possible way coolant could leak out of the headgasket? i mean the thermostat wasnt opened yet..

about an inch or so down i saw coolant go down the head to the left so i figured it might be coming out of the intake. im trying to stay postive tho. Anyone ever hear of a hg leaking b4 even starting???? i got pics but their crappy. tommrow im going to get a fel pro intake manifold gasket and re-do it. im going to leave eveyrhing attached to the itake manifold and peel it back just enough to do the gasket. ( p.s i only applied orange sealent around water passage on gasket heard this is oK)
KFLS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by KFLS14 »

I would top off coolant more and squeeze the radiator hoses..the drip should be visible again to pinpoint where its coming from.
I truly doubt it the headgasket..
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

well im looking for a real answer i dont think its the headgasket too u saying that doesnt really help me. but does coolant get to the hg without the therostat open? come on people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
sicks13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by sicks13 »

Yes coolant goes into the block.

Here is a good read on surface finish, just in case its the headgasket you know what to ask for next time.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article ... inish.aspx
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

ok well the cars never been started and it was just dribbling out.. i would think intake

however!! it didnt start leaking untill coolant reached the upper hose? does coolant get into the block from the upper hose too? cause i pooored slowly no leak then i heard it go down the upper hose then dribble dribble? tommrow is memorial day so i wont be able to get any gaskets. i work in a shop and i might just have my car towed there. the assiatnt manager who helped me last week just told me to tow the car their and put the motor in the shop. however i like doing things myself with peace and quiet no comments. however i am leaking coolant and dont wanna piss my dad and a lift is nice :D so i think tuesday i might have it towed do the intake and pressure test it. it was a victor reinz gasket so maybe thats the cause... please more opoioins
boker240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by boker240 »

damn cometic hg. felpro..................i got a saying."just go felpro!" unless u want over 500whp.
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
240drew
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240drew »

Just pull the intake manifold and replace that gasket. You should be able to see where the leak was just pull the lower hose off and drain all the coolant before. So you can be sure its leaking from the intake. If it doesn't see like it is. Then just pull the head off. Did you have the head/block machined. If not the cometics don't have the same crushing a typical stock head gasket has if they aren't level to each other almost perfectly the cometics wont seal. I know you have heard this all before you have been around the ka-t site for some time. So im probably just blowing the whistle for the hundredth time.
Cars
1996 240sx KAt28- Sold
1992 240sx RB20- Sold
1995 240sx RB25neo- Sold
1993 240sx 2jzgte- Sold
Current:
2006 Toyota Tundra
1995 240sx 2jzgte BWs366
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

guys i built this motor with an engine builder who been around since the 50's he does new **** to. we know the block as to be decked.. Dustin at perfomance porting ported my head amnd did an oem rebuild and decked it. block was all honed and hot tanked and everything 5,000 miles ago. im sure we got the hg to seat. i know people who did no machine work with cometics and got them to work. car was never started. however i cant see a never started car having a fast dribble out of the hg.. im gonna check all the hoses in the intake then if so tow my car to work and pressure test it. i cant not see the hg lekaing and if it is there may big a gigantic part out..
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

[/img]Image

NOTE car has never been started fresh head and cometic hg. gonna check hoses tommrow could be a chance maybe the hose under the intake is spraying towards that directions? one of the hose sections is directly across and could be a chance.. or intake manifold gasket. anyway i put pictures up to help. i hate when peeople say i need help bla bla cant drift or whaaa psssh and dont put evidence or pictures.
basic

Post by basic »

from the pics it certainly looks like it's the intake gasket - specifically around the coolant passage. The coolant would end up rising inside the engine at the same level as the rad if you were filling slowly, in which case about the time it got to the upper radiator hose it would be reaching the bottom of that passage.

If you used sealant, i would pull the intake completely off, clean both intake and head, and reapply along with with a fresh intake gasket.
'87 200SX Hatch - complete with KA24DE swap.
'91 240SX hatch complete with super rare sunroof insert and bag.
chubbza5 wrote:Well hey, truck engine + truck turbo, why not!
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

well since its right there close to the headgasket... it could be either one. and based from those pics, i really cant tell if thats a hg or intake gasket issue...
the only way to tell is to wait till it stops leaking... DRY it off CLEAN and start over again to see where its leaking. You may wana have 2 people there, one to look in and watch while the other fills the radiator...
Like i said, that spot there is within half an inch from the HG so it could be either....
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

240tuned91 wrote:car has never been started fresh head and cometic hg. gonna check hoses tommrow could be a chance maybe the hose under the intake is spraying towards that directions?
NO chance... it wont spray until there is pressurized water flow.. that leak there is just an opening either from the HG or the intake manifold gasket...
DRY up that area good... and make there are no more leaks, then start over and have 2 guys there... one looking for the leak while the other fills in the radiator...
Very simple to do...
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

yeah just gotta wait till i can get a hand.
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Mark Washington »

If you pressure test the cooling system full of water you can poke in and see.
I would also check compresion just for GP and piece of mind.
Did you have the thermastat out? they slip down as you put the housing on sometimes,
but the thermastat is so thin you cant tell.
Hope you figure it out.
速い速い シルビア ターボターボ
Its not the size of the turbo,Its how you spool it.
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

thermostat is in.. wtf is GP and wtf would compression have to do only oil can get by the rings... unless you think there may be a crack in the clynder wall. I just had this motor bare and was checking everything so theres no damage and a fresh headgasket with head decked .
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

rn240... i know the coolant couldnt spray i meant leaking onto the intake and kinda spraying or running towards the head. not spraying so my bad termonilogy. i just bought an angle 360 degree mirror so i can pinpoint the leak. if its the Intake manifold gasket car will probalybe started tommrow! no more screwing around ive been sick but im termined. I went to the hosiptal 3am friday moring and when i got home saturday at 10am i began working on it right away. so i want this thing running! if somehow one of the headstuds snapped from lifting the motor in or something the hG will be done at work. hopefully thats not the case. More pics tommrow!

ps. How important is it to tighten the intake manifold gasket in the tighteing sequence in the fsm. I was about to tighten it and the old guy that helps me just came over and snugged it down and did it himself. He started with the outside and came in if i recall correctly. also sprayed blue stuff on the gasket and i applied organe sealent
boker240

Post by boker240 »

id say its pretty important........u wouldn't half ass torque a head would u??the sequence and the amout of torque.ive had mine off a few times and if i remember correctly i put honda bond up front where the water neck is.
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
240drew
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240drew »

well judging by the location of the leak if the head was leaking there you would most likely have water in the oil. Seeing as that is probably not the case your most likely looking at the intake mani. And remember these words. The one thing you half ass will come and bite the other cheek.
Cars
1996 240sx KAt28- Sold
1992 240sx RB20- Sold
1995 240sx RB25neo- Sold
1993 240sx 2jzgte- Sold
Current:
2006 Toyota Tundra
1995 240sx 2jzgte BWs366
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

yeahit was a victor reinz gasket.. i always do the squence but he came over and tighted them and it was nice enough to have all my stuff in his shop and use all his stuff i didnt wanna be like no no no dont do that. he was a mechanic for rolyce rocye and built harleys national chamionship bike in like 97. i kno thats not a ka-t motor its the principle so im gonna check with the mirror i bought today ill keep u guys in touch. thanks everyone
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

its your intake mani gasket. the coolant goes right through the intake mani into the head... and your gasket is leaking.

just pop the intake off the head. clean it all up nice and put a fresh one on there. USE A GASKET, NOT SEALER GOOP.

Sealer goop crap is stupid. use the regular paper-ish gasket. It works great. Goop = fail.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
sicks13

Post by sicks13 »

I never use sealer, i always use just the gasket and i have never had any problems.
boker240

Post by boker240 »

let me correct my statement. i used a gasket,,prolly felpro and just added some "goop",,, a slight amount to the front around the area that has coolant going through it.also i just touched here and there on the gasket to hold it to the head.i did this becuase a previous time i didn't,,,the gasket slide away from the head and as i put the intake on it compromised the gasket.
currently n/a.

240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

^ thats what i did. around the coolant passage. so 8 bit u think its the intakegasket? its raining in jerz so i didnt get started
KFLS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by KFLS14 »

boker240 wrote:let me correct my statement. i used a gasket,,prolly felpro and just added some "goop",,, a slight amount to the front around the area that has coolant going through it.also i just touched here and there on the gasket to hold it to the head.i did this becuase a previous time i didn't,,,the gasket slide away from the head and as i put the intake on it compromised the gasket.
I just put a small touch of rtv, on the section where the gasket doesn't seal to manifold to hold it place. It's not a good idea to put goop on gasket where it seals..compromises integrity.
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

and the award goes to b-bit for being so certain it was the intake gasket.u could hear it coming out right under the coolant passage. it was almost like a pin hole in a tire leak. i used my liscle funnel kit and an inspection mirror. I filled up the funnel set the mirror where i thought it was leaking then pulled the plunger. worked well. When i first was checking i couldnt get a good look. However the mirror shows me exactly where the leak is. Idk why the gasket is leaking. Possibly just a defect gasket or the intake side of the head or intake has a nice scratch, ( i only applied sealent to water coolant passage on gasket) applying gasket dry next time. picss

[/img]Image
boker240

Post by boker240 »

i bet thats a relief.at least its not the hg.
currently n/a.

8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

make sure you got a nice smooth and flat mating surface on both sides when you use the gasket...
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

head was decked and i torqued the head down with a frwsh gasket pretty positive it wasnt HG if it was i would of just gave up and sold all my crap lol. I have not mad decent power and i think its about time. My last set up crusing i ran around 8psi on my 20g and in 2nd gear it would pull from 3 to 7 good but 3rd it wasnt really there.. lil lean up top and richer on the bottom. im hoping to get everything together real good once i throw my gasket on tommrow.
boker240

Post by boker240 »

gl, and don't give up.im glad i made the power i did or id still be chasin it...lol.
now i just have a higher # to shoot for.im thinkin somewhere around 385-400.
currently n/a.

240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

so i took off the intake and the gasket looked fine.. i used some sealeant on the gasket and the guy who was helping me sprayed this blue stickey crap that is really hard to get off :evil: im guessing the mixed layers made a gap or whatever. i checked it with a back edge of a razor blade and a flat edge and it didnt seem distorted to my eye. im gonna use a fresh gasket with no sealent or nothing heres some pics

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

Image[/img]