Sleeved block

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
klattr1
Forum Moderator

Post by klattr1 »

yeah you can set it up both ways (with a wastegate or blow off valve) on the charge pipe. It's just 2 different strategies that essentially achieve the same result.
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

i was thinking of using a vac pot on a solenoid to open the BOV
TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

BRAD D wrote:i was thinking of using a vac pot on a solenoid to open the BOV
exactly. what turbo are you planning on running though that you wont be able to build boost with normal means.
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

6765 billet.. its hard to get the converter right :(
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

I would get the setup together and see if you can get car to boost by regular means on the transbrake. If you are running good gas local guys say a lot of timing advance on the T-brake helps alot.

Kind of counter-intuitive, but more timing = more torque to turn the convertor.

If you can't get it to spool and you really don't want to get a new convertor i'd probably stick with the nitrous method. Just play with the nozzles and use the smallest shot possible that gives you reasonable staging times.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

Kfred wrote:I would get the setup together and see if you can get car to boost by regular means on the transbrake. If you are running good gas local guys say a lot of timing advance on the T-brake helps alot.

Kind of counter-intuitive, but more timing = more torque to turn the convertor.

If you can't get it to spool and you really don't want to get a new convertor i'd probably stick with the nitrous method. Just play with the nozzles and use the smallest shot possible that gives you reasonable staging times.
if it wont spool on the brake some guys us co2 to hold the wastegate or bov on the charge pipe open to free spin the turbo
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

TinyT wrote:if it wont spool on the brake some guys us co2 to hold the wastegate or bov on the charge pipe open to free spin the turbo
I know this, but I can't see it being super effective or fast. I understand you get the turbo freespinning fast and shut the valve quickly causing a boost spike that will hopefully produce enough torque to get the convertor spinning high enough to allow you to build your desired boost level. I've heard mixed reviews and it seems like nitrous would be more effective.

Definitely going to be a sick build, keep us informed.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

i would like to do it with out nitrous but we will see... i will do a test holding my BOV open.

with the 35r i had trouble, we added a ton of timing on c16 but it did not seem to help. we even had low timing to try and start a fire in the mainfold to spool the turbo
efeezi
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by efeezi »

^ We tried the same thing and got the same results
300zx single turbo
715rwhp GT42