transmission wont slide in.?

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
tom550
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

transmission wont slide in.?

Post by tom550 »

well decided to do my white bunny. was tired or my clutch slipping every time i hit boost.

well got everything done but now the transmission wont go all the way in. it has like 1-1.5" left to sit flat on engine. i feel the transmition shaft isnt going in in the clutch disk.

we moved the trany around for a good 2-3 hours and still couldnt get it in. is there a way to turn the shaft? i feel the shaft isnt alligned up with clutch disk.

just need to get the trany in then bolt everything up.

is there some way to allign the clutch dick with the trany to just slide it in.?

cant reach in the front of trany to spin the shaft when its that close.
i dont think it does but does the front shaft spin when turn the drive shaft when trany is in N?
tryed spinning drive shaft when in gear and not. still nothing.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I always have trouble getting the tranny back in unless I jack the front of the motor up a bit. Then it just slides right in.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
tom550

Post by tom550 »

will try that. i really dont want to pull the trany out again. especially cuz i dont have any of the right tools.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It's been a while, so I don't remember all of the details, but I think I used a cherry picker to lift the front of the motor. I'm not sure if there's a good point on the front of the motor to actually jack it up. This is a S14, btw, so it may not work in your situation.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
tom550

Post by tom550 »

yea well my MAN jack i borrowed, my puss jack, and the jack i found in my car are what i have to work with so i will figure something out.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

i found that my pressure plate was not lined up properly and it was causing the same issue. it was off by a millimeter and I didnt catch it. it was just enough to let it in a little bit, but not all the way because it was catching on the edge of the clutch
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
TheOne
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TheOne »

if 1 of those jacks is not being used, put a block of wood or something on top of it and jack the front of the engine by the oil pan, shouldn't need to jack it a whole lot, do loosen the motor mounts some though.

if everything is lined up correctly then it shouldn't have too much of a problem going in, i usually put a bolt on each side to help it go in.
arob987

Post by arob987 »

Dont try and spin the shaft to allign it up with the clutch disk,put the trans in gear so the shaft cant move and rotate the trans back and forth and push it till the shaft lines up with the disk,or hold the trans in and apply pressure and have someone get a ratchet and turn crank to get the teeth to line up and slide in.usually the first option works everytime for me
New turbo setup build in progress-11mm headstuds/cometic head gasket/jwt cam gears added,prec. 6266,gato mani,prec.46mm wg,bigger fmic,mspnp2,z32 trans,spec twin,q45 rear,full energy bushings. Still need injectors,and a few other small things

Old setup-ka24de-wiseco 9:1 pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,jwt s1 cams,brian crower springs and retainers,jgs log mani,t3 57trim .63 a/r,tomei 740cc,38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate,synapse bov,ebay fmic,nistune,j30 lsd.5 speed swap,z32 brakes F&R.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

i wish you had a lift.

i have swap out that damn trans in my car like 8 times lol.

the one thing i know is your gunna have to clock the trans to the right 1-2 inches to clear the fire wall.

i would deff tilt the motor back a few inches. thats the only way i have been able to get them in. then once you get the input shaft in the pressure plat you reach your hand in their and feel how far witch way you would need to move the tranny to get the tip of the im put shaft in the clutch splines then just shake and twist wile trying to push it in.

and did you make sure the clutch splines match the trans input shaft splines?
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

Jmcc wrote:i wish you had a lift.
lol, 240 owners are a bunch of cheap guys that hardly buy quality parts let alone have the right equipment to work on stuff.

when i do a trans in car, i put my cherry picker on the motor and lower the back of the motor to the firewall. gives a nice angle to get the trans on. bear hug the bi*ch and get the shaft started, spin it back and forth and it usually takes pretty easy.
biggie
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by biggie »

1. hope a clutch alignment tool was used.
2. Jack up front of engine with 2x4 as mentioned
3. wiggle and turn the tranny back and forth as you push it in
'93 Coupe GT32e/'93 Vert/'03 G35C

Always Broke!!!
tom550

Post by tom550 »

TinyT wrote:lol, 240 owners are a bunch of cheap guys that hardly buy quality parts let alone have the right equipment to work on stuff.
yep! if i dont have the tool then will attempt to rig something up before i even think about actually paying a few pennys. but im also just in HighSchool, working with 3K a year job, and using tools my dad had which is basicly wrenches, the smallest jack ive ever seen, and no previous knowledge about cars untill i sat down and started reaserching online, then going to my car and just jumping into it.

if you ask me ive come pretty far. :D

well going to work on my POS now and see if i can get it in,
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

TinyT wrote:lol, 240 owners are a bunch of cheap guys that hardly buy quality parts let alone have the right equipment to work on stuff.

lol no honda guys are :D
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

Jmcc wrote:

lol no honda guys are :D
um what? the amount of nice hondas to 240s is 10 to 1

and tom i wasnt meaning anything against you, just stating that jmcc's comment about you needing a lift was a little unreal
Freise

Post by Freise »

I had a similar problem, the new pilot bushing I had was about a millimeter off, I had three of them and all three would compress slightly when inserted, I actually had to take a small sanding wheel and dremel and remove a tiny amount of material from in inside of the pilot bushing. Slid right in after that.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
jwrose
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by jwrose »

ive pulled just the tranny about 3 times in mine, and everytime i get more pissed off about deciding to do it bc all i do is fight with it the same way you are... id rather pull the tranny with the motor and be done with it... unless i have access to our 2 post or 4 post lift at work
built motor, custom bottom mount, t67, midmount i/c, blowthru z32, tial w/g, hks ssqv, d/w 740's, l/w flywheel, comp 4 puck, b&m shifter, no p/s, no a/c, no emissions

<b>Under Construction</b>
spun a rod bearing
be back in no time
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

jack front of motor, insert tranny.

when you lift the tranny on a jack that rolls fore/aft, most of the work is done for you and all you really need to do is ram that tranny in there! I've found you gotta jerk it around a bit and some wiggle and jam action, but it goes in in about 1-2 mins for me.

The main thing is to have the tranny already somewhat positioned by having the motor leaned back with the jack and also the tranny ON a jack and angled so that the load is off you and you can use your energy to wiggle and jam.

if those basic things don't work for you, then hit the gym more often or try re-attaching your clutch with the alignment tool. Also make sure the pilot bearing doesnt' have dookie in it.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

8-bit wrote:I've found you gotta jerk it around a bit and some wiggle and jam action, but it goes in in about 1-2 mins for me.
This goes for many things you encounter in life....

If there is no fluid in your tranny, twist it to where the top of the bellhousing if pointing to the passenger side of your car. This has always helped me.

GL
tom550

Post by tom550 »

got it on. lifting the engine helped. after that we just wiggled and it slid in. im so happy i didnt have to pull it down again. but im sad now.
TinyT wrote:I CANT BWAAA PSHH
for a few hundred miles.

TinyT wrote:and tom i wasnt meaning anything against you, just stating that jmcc's comment about you needing a lift was a little unreal
i didnt take it any bad way. just saying what i deal with. lol

thanks for the help guys.
sr20drag
240sx Wannabe

Post by sr20drag »

I but the cherry picker on mine and lower the K-member bolts a few turns. Slides right in every time. This was with my SR bell housing which is more squared off at the top and IMO more of a PITA.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

TinyT wrote:um what? the amount of nice hondas to 240s is 10 to 1
well maybe by you over by me there is proly only a few real nice hondas i have ever seen out of the couple 1,000 just in my city.
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

Jmcc wrote:
TinyT wrote:um what? the amount of nice hondas to 240s is 10 to 1
well maybe by you over by me there is proly only a few real nice hondas i have ever seen out of the couple 1,000 just in my city.

well since he got the trans in i dont care about threadjacking.... im saying in general, everywhere. there are far more nice honda builds than nissan builds.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

but jmcc you are in o-town...between puerto rican guys who put an exhaust on just about anything to kids with parents who have money, it is all there.

I went to UCF from '01- '05 and we use to meet at bennigans on 50 by the mall. It was a nissan meet but honda's and other makes (kids) would come peeling out and doing dumb sh!t that got us kicked out by the cops. I have seen some horrible 240's in Palm Beach County and some nice one's as well. It just sux to see a 98 s14 riced out. Altezza lights, off the shelf rims, slammed with a coffee can exhaust.

This weekend is NSCRA. I am debating on going since the last event was sh!tty but I may still go cuz it is the last one till next spring.

http://www.nscra.com/schedule
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

in my city in volusia their are only like 12 240's out of 70,000 plus ppl only like 5 real nice one's you never really see out and about. but yea i mean between states every thing is so diff. and your right out of the 200 diff honda hatches i always see their all the same big loud fart can's and cut springs. and all got us kicked out of every place we used to be able to hang out at.

and tom 550 sorry for being a thread jacker lol. glad to see you got it in and running again. im not gunna have my 240 back on the road till next spring :cry:
tom550

Post by tom550 »

i got to agree with tiny.
i have seen one 40 where i live that is pretty nice. well a few on craigslist but most i see are well like mine :lol:
the ammount of nice hondas i see i way more than how many 40s i see.
there are a few crap hondas but there are alot that are pretty nice.
tom550

Post by tom550 »

go ahead and thread jack all you want. i got my problem resolved so i could care less where this goes now.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

how far are you from daytona? Do you stay in Deltona?

we thread jacked sorry. I just got my baby back on the road. I swapped in a stock motor and have to retune. My other motor was stock but I had a mild port and polish. Cruing AFR's are str8 but boost regions need to lean out. The other motor is gonna get the goods next spring.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

yea im in deltona. 30-40 min from daytona