BOOSTED ITB's

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
ViperGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

BOOSTED ITB's

Post by ViperGT »

has anyone run them and anything? I know they would be pointless for a drag car and a pita to tune unless a maf is used but would there be any advantages over a single throttle body?
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

No one has any solid knowledge on this? Can anyone apply physics or theories of air dynamics to solidify one or the other?
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

We haven't run them on a KA, but we tuned a BMW on them. Unfortunately the car had a fuel pump that would die shortly after going into boost. We were using MS1/Extra's Hybrid Alpha N mode, which was basically alpha-N multiplied by a scalar for boost pressure. On later MS variants, I might run separate alpha-N and SD tables multiplied together.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

Im interested in hearing the benefits and pitfalls of boosting ITBs also since my sons MR2 20v is heading in thr turbo direction . I was contemplating just using the 16 v manifold with the TVIS removed or build a common runner single throttle body intake for it .

Its already on a DIYPNP so tuning isnt an issue but being in an MR2 I just dont know if I need yet another challenge LOL

Keep us up to date as to how you go with the ITBs or single throttle body.
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

crisper throttle response....

Thats about it besides the baller factor. 8)
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

the 20v toyota with ITBs is a little rev happy rocket ship and in that mk1 MR2 man it will go to the revlimiter of 8300 RPMs without sounding like it is breathing hard . Not much for torque on the bottom side though but in a light car its fantastic .Just seems like it will be difficult to package boost on the ITBs due to space constraints on the intake side of the motor .

Oh well ...threadjack over . :lol:
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

ViperGT wrote:No one has any solid knowledge on this? Can anyone apply physics or theories of air dynamics to solidify one or the other?
keep looking. i had found a thread about this from years ago, just can't remember what the title was. and if i remember right it had some good info in their, and will prolly answer most of your questions.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Jackasknissan
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jackasknissan »

i'll let you know how mine work soon enough 8)

getiting it to tune for low speed driving is my concern mostly, and a maf isnt required either..
Turbo24sxt wrote:SOHC > DOHC ... period ...
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

very interesting read . I think my mind is made up on the toyota . I am going to go to the trouble to overcome obstacles to retain the ITBs on. Thanks for posting that link.
Ricky Ragan,
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

yeah that link was very helpful i also read on a time attack forum about a 240sx guy with a turbo ka utilizing itbs to gain more mid range power.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

Jackasknissan wrote:i'll let you know how mine work soon enough 8)

getiting it to tune for low speed driving is my concern mostly, and a maf isnt required either..

when i ran mine, i think the problem i was having to get it right was the burnt out valve i had. cause when i put the stock plenum back on it was fine for only i think like a weeks time till just gave out. but did notice a big diff all around than the stock plenum at wot.
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

i think a member from way back did a setup like this. pandas14 iirc
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
ashy-larry
240sx Wannabe

Post by ashy-larry »

turbonola wrote:i think a member from way back did a setup like this. pandas14 iirc
What did you use? Like a collector box for all the ITB's so a maf could be used? Or a standalone setup that didnt use a maf? I have thought about this as well.
keytops

Post by keytops »

I will be running one with a xcessive intake flange runners to velocity stacks and a plenum to house it all. Blow through maf and map sensor will be used. Lots of customization needed to run them, hood clearances, and strength are things to pay attention to. I plan to use a drive by wire setup to simplify things and keep the bay clean. Vacuum will require 1/4 inch bungs welded to each of the throttle bodies to flow similar to stock. The existing ports can be used for your FPR and MAP since these things need an accurate source, The larger ports will have heavy modulation and should not be used. Atomization of fuel will be better than stock due to the turbulence from the throttle bodies. Estimated cost for my setup minus the ITBs and electronics is about $850, stacks are expensive and someone else will be tiging the runners. Sheet metal plenum. Not much else to say.
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.